Cold is a comin'

it seems to be hot enough for you to complain. ;) and for me to freeze.

yup, i'm an august baby.

A nice run in the snow and -20 something temps in January would solve all your problems. :D

Bob, that sounds heavenly. Really, it does.

Mike, I was thinking about my anthropology class I took and I wonder if your heritage is part of the reason you handle heat well but do not handle cooler temps well. We learned about the Inuit's and how they are genetically able to handle colder temps as well as some Asian cultures. Makes sense. I was born and raised in a cold climate but have moved to a warmer climate. Maybe we don't climitize as fast or completely as they say...

Reactions: jldeleon
Yeah, my ethnic background is Czechoslavakian, German, United Kingdom, lot's o' cold weather there. So Oregon is like a desert from that point of view. That being said, I have noticed that this is the first end of summer/beginning of fall, that I have been truly COLD in the mornings and nights -which I have NEVER been. I still weigh the same as I did at the beginning of the summer - but as Mike pointed out, my muscle mass has probably increased. Plus, I am in the best shape I have been in my adult life, so apparently fat/muscle must have something to do with the heat thing.

genetics seems to be blamed for everything these days. i'm sure it's more likely acclimation. not enough time in either weather to get used to it. i've gone to mexico when it's 110 or so and was sleeping for days to acclimate. when i lived there through the steady temp change, much easier. here it's steadily getting colder but then suddenly some days are colder and then back to higher temps. with so much variation it's harder to acclimate.

Bob, that sounds heavenly. Really, it does.

Mike, I was thinking about my anthropology class I took and I wonder if your heritage is part of the reason you handle heat well but do not handle cooler temps well. We learned about the Inuit's and how they are genetically able to handle colder temps as well as some Asian cultures. Makes sense. I was born and raised in a cold climate but have moved to a warmer climate. Maybe we don't climitize as fast or completely as they say...
Blech. I'm all full up on Northern/Eastern European ancestry, and do great in the heat and not very well in the cold, though it's getting better after many decades of midwestern us winters.

here it's steadily getting colder but then suddenly some days are colder and then back to higher temps. with so much variation it's harder to acclimate.
I guess I don't find the temp swings to be that much. Where I was born and raised the temp swings were huge and could happen over the course of a couple hours during the middle of the day. That was cold. You would be a frozen popsicle there Mike! Lol! I find the temps here in Oregon to be very moderate with the occasional extreme of high temps, like my wedding day 4 years ago of 103F. Our weather here typically doesn't drop more than 30 deg over night, which is really really mild. In Montana where I was born and raised you can see temp changes of over 60 deg just over night.

Ah, this thread reminds me of the new expedition Sir Ranulph Fiennes has planned for 2013, to cross Antarctica by foot, during the winter, at 68 years of age!
Temperatures of -90C are not uncommon, now all of a sudden i feel nice and toasty.:)

When I got home this morning the house temp was 62ºF. I usually wind down for a bit with a book or a quick show on netflix, had to grab my flannel jacket. Going to be time to turn the furnace on soon. Dang. I love fall & winter but I also love summer! And its cheaper & easier te deal with for me. My 5k on saturday was the first time since spring I put my warm up jacket on.

60F difference? damn! growing up in socal snow was something you go visit. it's not something you live in. i know it's rare so it's ok but to me it's still something you should go visit.

I started running barefoot by the end of July, and until yesterday all my barefoot runs where in temperatures above 18C/65F, but since a few days it's getting colder and yesterday I ran in a rainshower and 11C/52F. It made me wonder how long I'll be able to run barefoot...
I guess it won't feel so cold when it's dry, but hoping for a dry fall seems a bit of an illusion in rainy little Belgium. (However: although we didn't have a very good summer, yesterday's run was my first run in months in the rain...)

Yeah thats crazy. I thought 30º swing was pretty severe. Usualy around here is more like 20's.
Tristan, you're in Ohio right? Don't you all have pretty severe temperature swings between morning and evening too? When I was home in MT for vacation it would be 90 during the day and drop to mid 30's by morning. That's only 50 some degree change but that is pretty common. Here in Oregon we'll go from 90 during the day to 60 by morning.

Tristan, you're in Ohio right? Don't you all have pretty severe temperature swings between morning and evening too? When I was home in MT for vacation it would be 90 during the day and drop to mid 30's by morning. That's only 50 some degree change but that is pretty common. Here in Oregon we'll go from 90 during the day to 60 by morning.
Here in Minnesota we can get big temperature swings, but I think parts of Montana are unique for the range of change possible.

Could be because of the valley where the towns are being sandwhiched between a bunch of mountain ranges. Beautiful beautiful area and I would give nearly anything to be able to afford to live back there. Unfortunately, the economy is dying there which is why I moved away in the first place...

I know my feet have a thicker sole for the beginning of this winter, compared to last, so I'm wondering if I will be able to handle a little more cold. Last year, I was okay until about 37 F, until there was moisture. Then, I was in numb pain pretty quickly and put on my Moc3s. It was my first winter after going BF, too, so I was glad to find that even with only a very few short runs on warm asphalt now and then, I didn't lose much foot pad. Helps make me more relaxed about doing what I need to do to protect my feet and run in the cold. I much prefer being barefoot, but I'm not in this to prove that I'm tough or willing to take unnecessary chances!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Nick, i was about to say you aren't up early enough to see that it gets colder than that, at least right now. in the summer no. it's been around the 40's in the morning but in the 70-80's during the day. not quite close to that 60 D swing. i would've gotten out of there too.

Nick, i was about to say you aren't up early enough to see that it gets colder than that, at least right now. in the summer no. it's been around the 40's in the morning but in the 70-80's during the day. not quite close to that 60 D swing. i would've gotten out of there too.
Mike, it was 53 at 4:45 this morning. Nope, no 40's here.;)

ya i noticed i didn't finish saying i noticed you up early today. my caffeine was barely in my system.

I was just chatty this morning. I'm usually up early, just too busy reading all my Seahawks news articles first. ;)

Felt so great to go for a short cool run today with it misting on me. 54 deg F was almost perfect. A little cooler would be nicer though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090