Cold is a comin'

Tristan, you're in Ohio right? Don't you all have pretty severe temperature swings between morning and evening too? When I was home in MT for vacation it would be 90 during the day and drop to mid 30's by morning. That's only 50 some degree change but that is pretty common. Here in Oregon we'll go from 90 during the day to 60 by morning.

Well I thought we did, but I thought 30ºF was an extreme swing. Like I said are usual night/day difference is closer to 20º usually. Just for example I checked weather.com for my zip and it recorded a high today of 75º and forecasting an overnight low of 51º. So about a 24º delta.
And the next few days are as follows:
71º/52º Δ19º
67º/39º Δ28º
63º/37º Δ26º
65º/42º Δ23º

Dang those are the first overnight lows in the 30's I've seen yet. Now we do have >30º swings sometimes but its not the norm.

I've never really been out west or in any desert or anything like that so I haven't really experienced huge daily swings. If we do its because of some unusual cold front that came in from Canada or something like that.

Tristan, I've noticed that about weather channel too, but have noticed that the mornings are way colder typically than the low for the day... Don't understand it myself.

All this discussion of weather...really? Are you guys old, or what? Why don't you talk about something more exciting like lawn fertilizer, or how best to clean a BBQ grill. And Mike and Nick, you two wink at each other WAAAAAY more than any two men "should". What gives? LOL!!!

All this discussion of weather...really? Are you guys old, or what? Why don't you talk about something more exciting like lawn fertilizer, or how best to clean a BBQ grill. And Mike and Nick, you two wink at each other WAAAAAY more than any two men "should". What gives? LOL!!!
Deep down, all men wish we were still hunters or farmers, hence the fascination with weather.
I think it's time for TJ to intervene in Nick and Mike's interactions and tell them to 'get a room.' I guess her recovery is preventing her from fulfilling this vital role of hers.

Reactions: jldeleon
Tristian, all last week we were getting swings of 50 degrees. 36 to 91 on September 16th.

Jen, anything to take my mind off of this marathon in two weeks. Even weather talk. As for Nick and Mike, they can have the back seat in the H2C van.

Yow, yes - Winter Challenge here I come.

Dutchie, looks like you are getting a head start on us.

you clean a grill with a raw onion. duh. end of discussion.

Reactions: Sid

AAAHH. My hip hurts! Gonna be a nipper, for sure (Read in Grampa Simpson Voice)

And Portland does not get *that* cold. The wet can make it feel clammy and more chilled sometimes, though. Wet cold pavement was tough for me the winter I was barefoot. Actual rain was fine, but cold and wet was tough for me.

Ahh but lawn fertilier and cleaning a bbq grill deserve their own thread. ;) And don't even get me going on garden tractors!

Still havent turned the heat on yet. 59 in the house this morning. Got to go check the propane tank, not cold enough to start burning wood.

Clean a BBQ grille? All you have to do is run it on high heat for about 5 mins then hit it with the wire brush. You don't want to actually "clean" it - it removes all of the seasoning. As for fertilizer, I'd have to defer to "You Bet Your Garden" on NPR :D

But, FWIW, it is getting a bit nippy in the evenings here....but, the proviso is that it's "California Nippy", which probably feels like spring temps to some folks...though "California Nippy" would make a great name for a cheap wine, I think: "Whatchu wanna drink?" "We got any Boones Farm? No? Then toss me that 5 gallon jug of California Nippy".

Hate to jinx everyone's nice weather, but there is cold in the air. Already getting nights into the low 40's and we usually have our first frost on September 10, although it seems like we will make it another week.

I will work into the cold more gradually this year and try to stay bare as much as possible. I have a flexible work schedule, so when it gets really cold, I can run during the warmest part of the day. If I must, I will wear sandals, then sandals with socks. It's been such a good summer, I hate to see it end.

What's your plan?

This year, instead of "man-ing up" like last winter, I am going to "wuss down".

I rarely wore shoes last winter, but I also couldn't really feel my feet most of the time. This year I will be able to feel them, as my circulation in my feet is awesome and along with it, I seem to feel more pain and unpleasant sensations, which I guess makes sense, cause my nerves have probably branched out a little bit more, as well.

This summer has been long and unusually hot and the trail I mainly run on is now as hard as concrete. I finally had it last week and started wearing huaraches because of the pain of the sprinkling of small sharp gravel across the rock hard dirt trail. I tried a slightly different route on that trail a couple weeks ago only to discover that about 6 new large gravel patches have been laid down, both of area and individual piece size. These don't really hurt to run over, but they break my stride. They are spaced just far enough apart for me to get going really well and then they distract me. I am NOT amused.

This summer I found a new trail next to my house. Less gravel, but more roots. Less severe inclines/declines. I'm going to try it barefoot this winter and see how that goes.
But the roots might do me in with the slippery mud and all.

If none of that goes well, I will wear my Brancas, which have great traction underneath. I will have to modify the insides of them, however, to give myself traction on top of them. I am thinking of using those sticky things you put in the bottom of your bathtub. :)

I do know that I am going to wear thick woolish socks when I race this winter. I HATE the city roads, they are horrible. They are what I call "pot-holed chip and seal". I don't always warm up before I run, which is just torturous on that stuff.

Today, I also discovered that I can run on an old railroad thingy, which is medium sized loose gravel, with huaraches on, without any problem, and that's going to be one of my other options.

After the last couple of days getting close to the 30 degree temp (celcius), I am back in summer mode again. Had some great runs earlier in the week where the temps were close to and below 0 degrees. For some reason I am longing for the temps to start to drop. Must still have some frostbite of the brain from last year or something, because no normal person would want to run barefoot in the snow, would they? ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Today is such a day like you hope for at the end of September...
Sunny, and temperatures that go to about 18° (OK, 22° would be better, but September was somber and cold, so we're happy).

When I went out running this morning, it was 14°C/57°F, and the path where I ran was still in the shade, so the pavement was cold from the night temperatures that were around 5°C/40°F. It took me a while to have feet that were comfortably warm... I'm wondering how barefoot running will be in our typically wet Belgian winter.

This year, instead of "man-ing up" like last winter, I am going to "wuss down".

I rarely wore shoes last winter, but I also couldn't really feel my feet most of the time. This year I will be able to feel them, as my circulation in my feet is awesome and along with it, I seem to feel more pain and unpleasant sensations, which I guess makes sense, cause my nerves have probably branched out a little bit more, as well.
Jen, I am noticing as I get back into bfr that I seem to have this problem too. Back before I stopped and went shod I was really noticing the pokey parts of the road (certain sections I have always found rough) were starting to hurt more and more. I really do think we have awoken our feet, which seems to suck in a way. Yesterdays run I ran over a little stretch of maybe a 100 ft that is really rough and thanks to that section I decided to run the rest of my run in my huaraches. I just really don't find the pleasure in my feet getting more tender footed. I stopped and checked my feet yesterday several times and there are no visible worn or cut or tore spots, no hotspots. Just more tender foot.

Reactions: jldeleon
Well I did it, I bought some shoes. Bit of an impulse buy; was walking past my local running shop, which didn't stock anything minimalist the last time I tried, & saw that distinctive red V in the window so went in for a try on. I now have me some Evo IIs, so shall see how it goes, they certainly felt less like I was wearing a shoe than anything else I've tried, plus were wide enough for me, unlike most makes.

Reactions: NickW and Sid
I have found that keeping my ankles warm really helps moderate some of the effects of the cold. My GF knitted me some lovely ankle warmers, but cut off sock serve very well.

Jen, if you want to "wuss down" you might as well go for the fat ankle look, too.

Well I did it, I bought some shoes. Bit of an impulse buy;

Well, so I did...
I was at Decathlon today (sports warehouse from French origin, now has stores in many European countries), and when I came through the aisle with walking shoes, I found this one:
zoom_asset_65293547.jpg

A shoe, destined for 'urban walking' in summer, no cushioning, zero-drop, very flexible sole, wide toe-box.
I don't know if it will be useful for running, but it was for sale for only € 5.00 ($4.00), so even it turns out I can't use it for running, I have a very flat walking shoe for summer instead of a running shoe for winter...

I have found that keeping my ankles warm really helps moderate some of the effects of the cold. My GF knitted me some lovely ankle warmers, but cut off sock serve very well.

Jen, if you want to "wuss down" you might as well go for the fat ankle look, too.

Might have to get a picture of those in the accessories thread Mr. Tree. Might be a new barefoot style for the winter.

Any tips on stopping the sharp stabbing calf pains when running through snow. Or is that a clue to get out of it?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090