Cold is a comin'

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
Hate to jinx everyone's nice weather, but there is cold in the air. Already getting nights into the low 40's and we usually have our first frost on September 10, although it seems like we will make it another week.

I will work into the cold more gradually this year and try to stay bare as much as possible. I have a flexible work schedule, so when it gets really cold, I can run during the warmest part of the day. If I must, I will wear sandals, then sandals with socks. It's been such a good summer, I hate to see it end.

What's your plan?

Reactions: happysongbird
I'll do the same as last winter, running bare down to about 20F (minus 5-6 C) under ideal conditions--smooth asphalt, no wind, no moisture, no salt--and adjust from there. Will probably continue using my Moc3s for backups, but I'm intrigued by the idea of sandals, since it's my soles that tap out first. Maybe I can gain another 5-10 degrees F before I have to cover up the whole foot. Then again, on my longer runs, which could be ten or more miles by the time winter arrives in earnest, I may just go shod so I don't have to worry about route conditions/adjustments--patches of salt, unshovelled walks, etc. Not looking forward to winter, but it'll be nice to run in fall temps. I may participate in the winter challenge. Maybe I have a chance at being a mid-packer without having to race.

Reactions: happysongbird
I'll go bare as long as the roads are dry down to about -6c (about 2-4 mile runs) just like Lee. After that it is the evos. I usually will still try to get a short 1/2 mile in once a week on snow down to about -15c, but a 1/2 mile is the max I will go in those temps.

Your average January high is about 5C lower than ours (10F versus our 19F). I figure I can run bare between one third to one half of the days if I run in the afternoon, but I wonder how many days if any it will be possible for you, outside of the half-mile runs, in the middle of the winter. We really need to join Devilnuts out in Hawaii.

Well here in Edinburgh we've had a poor summer:( so hopefully we have a mild winter and I can go barefoot all the way thru!!!
(till January at least)

Last winter was my first unshod & it was pretty mild (in the UK). I was OK bare in a light frost, any colder & I wore sandsocks, there were definitely times when I would have been shod if I could only find something I could tolerate. Unless my circulation's improved more than I think then I may have to be less picky about shoes if it's colder this year.

Like Lee, we had a very mild winter last year. I was able to run BF just about every week, nearly as much as I cared to. The result was that I knocked huge chunks of time off my 10 mile and HM race times from the year before.

Statistically, we're unlikely to have so mild a winter coming up, and I will be ready in any case. I LIKE running in the snow! It will be here soon enough, but I expect not to see proper wintry weather until late December, if at all.

Haven't you Canadians gotten the hang of global warming yet? You should try it!

Like Lee, we had a very mild winter last year. I was able to run BF just about every week, nearly as much as I cared to. The result was that I knocked huge chunks of time off my 10 mile and HM race times from the year before.

Statistically, we're unlikely to have so mild a winter coming up, and I will be ready in any case. I LIKE running in the snow! It will be here soon enough, but I expect not to see proper wintry weather until late December, if at all.

Haven't you Canadians gotten the hang of global warming yet? You should try it!
Yup, love that global warming. Only had to run 4-6 times in temps of about -30c last winter. But our winters are starting later and ending early, so it's all good. But here footwear is a must to get through winter. Buying a treadmill this fall to keep up on BF to keep bottom of feet ready for next spring.

Winter Challenge 2012-2013!!! :D

For the nasty wet-cold days with salt strewn along the path I'll be trying out my huaraches in the cold for the first time. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably resort to the VFFs as usual. Luckily the winters where I'm at aren't typically too bad, though.

Out here in the bay area of cali, I am already starting to prepare mentally for the winter weather running. Have to break out a few more t shirts, and maybe a long sleeve for those really frigid mornings when its in the 40s!!! brrrr! ;-)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Out here in the bay area of cali, I am already starting to prepare mentally for the winter weather running. Have to break out a few more t shirts, and maybe a long sleeve for those really frigid mornings when its in the 40s!!! brrrr! ;-)
Hey....I hear it even rains in your part of the world. You've got it bad. In SoCal we have to endure frigid days when it dips below 70 degrees. It's horrible.

Reactions: Bare Lee