Cold is a comin'

Winter Challenge 2012-2013!!! :D

For the nasty wet-cold days with salt strewn along the path I'll be trying out my huaraches in the cold for the first time. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably resort to the VFFs as usual. Luckily the winters where I'm at aren't typically too bad, though.
This is where I have an advantage in the Winter Challenge. No salt and usually dry conditions. Thanks again for the advice you gave me last year - avoid cold mud.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yah, I lucked out last winter. It was my first BFRing winter and one of the mildest on record. A perfect storm, to use the overused phrase. I doubt I'll be so lucky this year.
Yep me too, last winter was just a few months into my bfr.

Hate to jinx everyone's nice weather, but there is cold in the air. Already getting nights into the low 40's and we usually have our first frost on September 10, although it seems like we will make it another week.
We're a little warmer climate here and havent seen below 50 yet but tonight is suppose to hit low 40's.

And last year, as mild as it was, 40F was still about as low as I could go continuously, and most of the winter I was in VFF. Well being so new at the time my distance also hurt me as I wouldnt ever get warmed up. I was only up to maybe 2 miles when winter hit.

I'll try and use the Pah Tempes first when temp gets too cold for bare, socks if needed. Last year I wore VFF but if the road was wet or wet snow, my feet got cold quick since the cold and wetness would wick up in between the toes. Kind of like chilling you from the inside! I've been debating getting regular minishoes for snowy/slushy roads and perhaps trail running.

For road running my Pah Tempe with socks do the trick but I'm a tail guy... I'm going to experiment with making a basic pair of moccasins out of old tyvek USPS envelopes and gluing a sole on. It might not work but it's worth an experiment!

... but I'm a tail guy...

????

On the topic of shoes for winter running, I found my VFF Bikilas were just fine in snow and cold. I guess I just got used to them and the weather.
It got to the point where snow falling around the ankles and melting in just didn't phase me. The biggest thing was to get milage in throughout the fall and early winter.
Acclimation is critical. I remember how I literally cried the first time I ran in crisp, sunny 25F air, and how nice 25F and sunny seemed by the end of the winter. I don't think I'll ever ge to the point where I'll enjoy running on refrozen, tracked up paths, though.

I have a pair of vivobarefoot neo mesh min shoes that I used for work....
thinking about using them for extreme cold this winter as I don't see myself spending the money on sandals =(
Maybe I'll just be in denial and actually hold out longer this winter totally BF.
I have horrible circulation in my feet so they are HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter....not to mention when Im running...

Zetti,

my feet used to be cold all the time.not anymore. i don't remember if it was last winter or the previous that my feet would get red hot at the end of the day. i now sleep with my feet on a pillow to keep them from getting too hot while i sleep.

Zetti,

my feet used to be cold all the time.not anymore. i don't remember if it was last winter or the previous that my feet would get red hot at the end of the day. i now sleep with my feet on a pillow to keep them from getting too hot while i sleep.
lets hope the same happens to me :)
It would make both my wife and I happy :D

I have a pair of vivobarefoot neo mesh min shoes that I used for work....
thinking about using them for extreme cold this winter as I don't see myself spending the money on sandals =(
Maybe I'll just be in denial and actually hold out longer this winter totally BF.

I have horrible circulation in my feet so they are HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter....not to mention when Im running...

I can't remember how long you have been barefoot running. You might notice a big difference in your circulation this winter.

I use to have very poor circulation and cold feet in the winter. Spent a lot of money on toe warmers for work and skiing. Last year I don't think I used any, but now I can't fit into any of my boots. Good thing for EBay.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Zetti
????

On the topic of shoes for winter running, I found my VFF Bikilas were just fine in snow and cold. I guess I just got used to them and the weather.
It got to the point where snow falling around the ankles and melting in just didn't phase me. The biggest thing was to get milage in throughout the fall and early winter.
Acclimation is critical. I remember how I literally cried the first time I ran in crisp, sunny 25F air, and how nice 25F and sunny seemed by the end of the winter. I don't think I'll ever ge to the point where I'll enjoy running on refrozen, tracked up paths, though.

"Acclimation is critical". Spot on JosephTree. I jumped in too quickly last year and had troubles - Frostbite. That will come up many times in future posts.

"Refrozen, tracked up paths". I had this trouble in the spring. Trucks, cattle, and sheep would go through the roads when soft, and the roads would refreeze at night. Difficult to run on.

"Acclimation is critical". Spot on JosephTree. I jumped in too quickly last year and had troubles - Frostbite. That will come up many times in future posts.

Oh yeah....you were the one with the nasty frostbite last winter....yeah....I want to avoid that if at all possible :barefoot:

Wicked winter? Who said that??? Compared to what? To last winter, which was a powder puff? I don't want any "nasty winter" talk here. It's bad juju.

--->Oh, yes, TFox, sure.

No I was saying that there is talk of this coming winter to be really bad, you know that farmers almanac which is always wrong. Last years winter was awesome! I only ran 8 times with footwear last winter, I almost made it all bare because of how mild it was. I completely hate winter and the cold, so this is all torture for me seeing the summer leave, but I love running barefoot so I just adapt.

After one year of running barefoot, my feet finally warmed up this last cold season, and only my toes were cold. I am hoping my toes will be warm too, when this cold season rolls around.

A bonehead mistake for sure. One that I would like to sink deep into the forum archives, but if others can learn from it.

http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/1st-bf-injury-frostbite.3919/

We all learn from our mistakes, you have to be very careful with the cold, know the conditions not just the temperature. There are many factors with running barefoot in the winter. What is the windchill? Is it wet? Have they cleared the snow off the sidewalks yet? Have they put ice melt down? Do I have emergency gear ready to go? Etc.........

Being from Winnipeg and having run through the winter twice now including some brisk runs in the very low -20C's, I do enjoy my cold runs but I do not push it to far, because my feet are quite valuable and I have grown quite attached to them.

if you ask me and other sunland transplants, yes it get cold and is constantly wet. it's 46F this morning. time for a long sleeve shirt to start my run.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7