Cold is a comin'

I have found that keeping my ankles warm really helps moderate some of the effects of the cold. My GF knitted me some lovely ankle warmers, but cut off sock serve very well.

Jen, if you want to "wuss down" you might as well go for the fat ankle look, too.

Already wear leg warmers in the winter...24/7. ;) Knitted you some ankle warmers...lol! How cuuuute!!!

I have found that keeping my ankles warm really helps moderate some of the effects of the cold. My GF knitted me some lovely ankle warmers, but cut off sock serve very well.

+1

...to wearing ankle warmers, that is. I didn't have anyone who would knit some for me, though, so I had to do it myself. :p Sweatbands work great as well.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
Wussed out 4 miles into a wet, windy, mid to high 40s F run this morning. Looped back by the house and picked up some huaraches for the remaining 12 miles. Any colder than that and I think I'll save the barefootin for calm and/or dry days only.

Wussed out 4 miles into a wet, windy, mid to high 40s F run this morning. Looped back by the house and picked up some huaraches for the remaining 12 miles. Any colder than that and I think I'll save the barefootin for calm and/or dry days only.
Last year when I couldnt handle below 40 I just tried to utilize the afternoons more, when the temps were the warmest. That bought me some time, until even the daytime highs were too cold.

This is also just the very beginning of the cold season. By March, 40F will seem balmy. I think what Tristan said about looking to maximize comfort by flexing toward PM runs goes for most of the winter, though. It's just that races never start in the PM, in my experience.

Everyone talks about how our feet will adapt, and Im really banking on this idea as my feet only warmed up for the last 3 miles of my half (start 45degrees finish 51 degree air temps).
Feet have already entered cold mode at home at least

Everyone's feet are cold at the beginning of runs - even those whose feet have adapted. It is a gradual process. As of last winter, my feet had warmed up all the way to the start of my toes, by the end of my runs. At the beginning of the winter, they never really warmed up at all. I'm hoping by the end of this winter season, they will have warmed up all the way through.

Reactions: Zetti
btw, i think on the forum bf gentile gave me the words of wisdom that every year, cold tolerance gets better.
Before anything bf/minimal, my feet were freezing all the time, beginning of september through end of may, and i would never have exposed them to the cold, wore thick socks indoors.
Last year during fall, I started bf/minimal, and I was disappointed that I couldn't adapt my way into anything below 50, and damp 40s was horrible.
This year, I have not worn socks or toe covering shoes but more than about 15 minutes running, and never for daily getting around campus, down to the low 30s. Still not thrilled with the adaptation level, but it does get better.

Reactions: Zetti
I will also say that as I adapt in my feet, my body seems to do way better in the cold as well. I try to wear the least amount of clothing that keeps me sufficiently covered all the time, so i still wear sundresses and sandals for teaching when the low temps are 30s/highs in the low50s. As little jacket/sweater as I can deal with. Again, it gets better every year.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090