What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

There's many good breweries here Rick. I'm sure you will be wishing you had more time so you could try more of them. Hey good luck on the htc race! Should be a lot of fun for you.

Reactions: jldeleon
Forgot I was going to post this. After my half marathon I wanted to open one of my nice beers, so opened this one I'd been hanging on to all summer. Probably the most expensive beer I've ever bought. Galaxy White IPA.

IMG_6009-500_zps89e9d61e.jpg

It was pretty highly carbonated, in fact I didn’t have to pry off the cork at all, as soon as I had untwisted the cork keeper thing partly, it blew off and I've yet to find the cork, I let it settle a few minutes but it was still super foamy when I poured. But it was fantastic, not sure if I'd ever spend over $13 on a bottle again but I did thoroughly enjoy it. Its a Belgian style IPA, scored 90% on BA. Bottle reads "Ale brewed with Galaxy hops, coriander, kumquats, and peppercorns. Fermented and aged in french oak foudres with a wit yeast. Dry hopped with Galaxy hops. Bottle conditioned with brettanomyces and wine yeast. Batch #2 April 2012.

I have free day off from work so I'm having a nice cigar and a couple brews to try in between the rains. In the bottle we have Kentucky IPA which was sitting next to the Kentucky Bourbon Oak aged beer so maybe the same brewers. The other is the trusted Bell's brewery Consecrtator Doppelbock bottled which is new to me.

I'll give these a sample and add more later...if I don't more later than were pretty good!

Well the edit feature isn't working so I'll post again....the Kentucky IPA is decent not top tier IPA but good middle of the road IPA ....good on the hoppy side but a bit light bodied to be top tier still a decent every day beer.

The Bell's Consecrtator Doppelbock is what's is suppose to be... malty somewhat strong without too much hops...stays on the malty side which it should...pretty good for its style.

Reactions: jldeleon
Maybe that's why light beer and salty snacks keep me hydrated so well. Pretty much what their light beer version is, 4%ABV typically plus electrolytes.

I'm pretty sure any british cask ale could be considered hydrating. Low carbonation and alcohol but tastes delicious.

The British style cask ales I see at brew pubs around here are 6% ABV and higher, and of course at a lower temp than the cold beer I would want after a run.

The British style cask ales I see at brew pubs around here are 6% ABV and higher, and of course at a lower temp than the cold beer I would want after a run.

Yeah its not surprising we definitely like higher alcohol beer here in the states.

I am the same with light beer I prefer it very cold, but I do like everything else cask temp.

Well had to break out some good brews to celebrate a new mileage milestone of 20 miles today (and recover carbs, or course!) ;)

IMG_6072crop1024.JPG

A couple brews from Ommegang I hadn't tried yet. Started with the Scthe & Sickle Harvest Ale which I think is new for fall 2013, and very good! But I needed a bit more, heck Garmin had me at 4,000 calories today... so the big bottle of Hennepin came out, and thats whats in the glass in the pic. Just love these brews.
thumbsup.gif

Oh, and a toast to the folks who pulled off the H2C!
cheers.gif

Every place is promoting Oktoberfest now, mostly the Sam Adams variant.
I hate Autumn because I know it signals that Summer is just fleeting here in Michigan and that a long Winter will be next. Probably still traumatized from dreading "back to school" time even though I finished high school over 42 years ago! I refuse to participate in welcoming the next season early, so yesterday when offered Oktoberfest I instead went for Oberon. Besides, it was in the mid-80's and humid! Who cares that it's really September.

Every place is promoting Oktoberfest now, mostly the Sam Adams variant.
I hate Autumn because I know it signals that Summer is just fleeting here in Michigan and that a long Winter will be next. Probably still traumatized from dreading "back to school" time even though I finished high school over 42 years ago! I refuse to participate in welcoming the next season early, so yesterday when offered Oktoberfest I instead went for Oberon. Besides, it was in the mid-80's and humid! Who cares that it's really September.
LB... yep fall is a tough transition for me. So many things I love about and hate about it. I do however, really enjoy the beers (not a big fan of most of the summer stuff)! And it means Christmas ales are right around the corner! :D But after I just got through a whole season of sticky hot temps without a/c and am finally used to it, now the temp starts dropping and it will generally take me until mid winter to finally catch up and not feel cold anymore. I love just being able to walk outside with just a pair of shorts, letting that sun make vitamin D the natural way. That will be coming to an end soon, though this weekend sure didnt feel like it! I'm always rushed in the fall too, so much I have to get done before the snow flies and ground freezes.

Combined with the shorter hours of daylight SAD becomes pretty real for a lot of us in the northern latitudes.
I'm guessing that's why the higher ABVs for Winter were invented in those northern European countries.
BTW, 60's, cloudy, with a northerly breeze today. Might be good for running, but it's still pretty depressing. STILL not going to have an Oktoberfest any time soon. WHOA! the sun just came out. See ya!

One of my favorites from my trip was the Ninkasi Total Domination IPA which I had on tap in downtown Portland. Liked it so much I found a 6 pack in a store to bring home. Pacing myself to only have one every few nights. Maybe my Las Vegas bootlegger can find me more.

Reactions: NickW
One of my favorites from my trip was the Ninkasi Total Domination IPA which I had on tap in downtown Portland. Liked it so much I found a 6 pack in a store to bring home. Pacing myself to only have one every few nights. Maybe my Las Vegas bootlegger can find me more.
The Total Domination is better on tap than bottled. I personally like Ninkasi's Tricerahops the best out of their brews.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts