What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

Just out of curiosity I'm trying something called a Shandy....its hard lemonade mixed with beer

Isn't the hard lemonade really beer to begin with? I think it's just a fermented barley beverage flavored with lemon. So mixing it with beer is kind of weird.

In England a shandy is generally made of a mix of "bitter" ale and lemonade - the kind you'd buy in a convenience store not like Mike's hard lemonade - and it is a very refreshing mix on a summer day. I suspect that lemonade and lager would not be a pleasing combination!

Isn't the hard lemonade really beer to begin with? I think it's just a fermented barley beverage flavored with lemon. So mixing it with beer is kind of weird.

I wouldn't call it beer even if its a malted drink...the beer taste is completely filtered out. The Mike's Shandy doesn't really have enough beer taste...if someone gave me one and didn't tell me what is was I probably think it was Mikes regular lemonade. I'm not a fan of fruity beers either for that kind of drink I much prefer hi quality hard cider but Mikes has its place on a hot summer afternoon.

In England a shandy is generally made of a mix of "bitter" ale and lemonade - the kind you'd buy in a convenience store not like Mike's hard lemonade - and it is a very refreshing mix on a summer day. I suspect that lemonade and lager would not be a pleasing combination!

The Leinenkugel's version I tried is probably closer to the English version of a Shandy but its American wheat beer... its still a bit different than the German versions I had back in the 80's which were wheat beer mixed with lemon soda water and maybe red or green syrup. I think next time I'll try mixing this myself from separate Beer and Lemonade bottles...I can't really imagine what a hoppier beer would taste like mixed this way.

Had a flight from a local brewery:

http://saugatuckbrewing.com/#

my favorites:

Pier Cove Porter (6.3% ABV, IBU: 47, Plato 13.6°)
An English style Brown Porter with a full rich malt body and restrained roasted and hop characteristics.
Hints of caramel, toffee, chocolate, and coffee are balanced with UK style hops.
Dramanatrix (10.4% ABV, IBU: 100, Plato 23.0 °)
A Foreign Extra Stout barrel aged in 1st use bourbon barrels. The 1st use barrels impart vanilla and
bourbon notes. This stout is rich and dark with a burst of chocolate and roasted malts blending with the
bourbon and oak flavors

Ken Bob and I are not drinking beer tonight. Strawberry Festival wine... Is good. uploadfromtaptalk1371952736715.jpg

If you like porters, you HAVE to drink "Pin Up" by Southern Oregon Brewing Company!

Last night I had a Hoptimum Whole Cone Imperial IPA by Sierra Nevada. I was plenty surprised by it and I like it quite a bit. It is pretty strong at 10.4% ABV and is 100+ IBU. Now I have a cheaper alternative to the expensive 22ouncers (means I also drink less because it's a normal 12 oz size bottle). :D

Last night I had a Hoptimum Whole Cone Imperial IPA by Sierra Nevada. I was plenty surprised by it and I like it quite a bit. It is pretty strong at 10.4% ABV and is 100+ IBU. Now I have a cheaper alternative to the expensive 22ouncers (means I also drink less because it's a normal 12 oz size bottle). :D
I tried a four ouncer of it and was pleasantly surprised.
I liked it better than Hopslam, which also surprised me.

Reactions: inakilt
Oh man Board, reading the reviews for it on beeradvocate is making my mouth drool. Sounds like a beer I just might like. I really like my Imperial IPA's though. For some reason I like those but I don't like most normal IPA's much. I would rather drink Coors Light than most regular IPA's. Regular IPA's seem to make my face twist up into the bitter beer face (you know from that commercial over a decade ago).

Beer and running. Almost as good a combo as beer and pizza. Hey, wait a sec--why not all three? Finishing up some New Belgium Rolle Bolle right now. What I am really waiting for though, is for the home brewed Irish Red downstairs to be ready. Initial tests (you have to test all along the brewing process, right?) indicate this could be a very good batch. It's in the bottles right now, but another week out before it's done.

Reactions: NickW
I really like that Hoptimum Kevin, never had the Southern Hemisphere Harvest, and I wasn't too fond of the Hop Stupid because I could taste too much alcohol (like rubbing alcohol type taste) although I know a lot of folks like Lagunitas brews.

Reactions: inakilt
I really like that Hoptimum Kevin, never had the Southern Hemisphere Harvest, and I wasn't too fond of the Hop Stupid because I could taste too much alcohol (like rubbing alcohol type taste) although I know a lot of folks like Lagunitas brews.

They're still not cold enough for me, so I'm sitting down with a SN Pale Ale right now.

I do like Lagunitas brews, but never had the Hop Stoopid. My favorites are Sucks and Maximus. My local taphouse http://www.sedonataphouse.com/ had a "tap takeover" where they featured Lagunitas for a couple of nights last month. Tried their WTF that night, was pretty decent.

Reactions: NickW
I'm sitting out on my patio smoking a nice full bodied cigar drinking some bottled Terrapin Rye Pale ale local to me. This was one of my favorite draft beers when it first came out a few years ago...very hoppy for a Pale ale. So every once in awhile I'll sample the bottle version like tonight at home. Its not as good as I remember on draft but still pretty good as a bottled Pale Ale...less hoppy than the draft.

Lot's of local fireworks going off around here all day despite the semi constant rain all day!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test