What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

I'm back out on the patio...the rain kicked up again for umptenth day in a row....its like Oregon here. Taking a break from doing home repairs earlier today so right now sampling Innis and Gunn original and Bridgeport HopCzar.

The Innis and Gunn really hard to describe...its unusual for sure and I do like it for sure but don't know why. HopCzar is pretty good too but its a little to low alcohol to be real Imperial IPA....more like a regular IPA with a bit more body...kind of a in-betweener.

Yesterday after the race in Ann Arbor. I stopped at World of Beer which only had been open for 4 days.
It's a FL based franchise chain , but growing fast. Any of you guys been there?

HopCzar is pretty good too but its a little to low alcohol to be real Imperial IPA....more like a regular IPA with a bit more body...kind of a in-betweener.
I'm not so fond of the Hop Czar myself, and it's a local beer for me. I only made the mistake of purchasing a sixer of this stuff once. Took me like a month to drink all of them. Odd for me to as I generally love double IPA/Imperial IPA's. I don't find it a good representation of our brews here. Seems Bridgeport Brewery is getting a little too commercialized and losing it's roots.

I'm on my 2nd Innis and Gunn and HopCzar now....its thunder and lighting so strong now shaking the leaves on the tree's....I'm digging it.

I agree Nick the HopCzar is a confused beer some of my local beers are the same way there stuck in between styles so its hard to like them.

Now the Innis and Gunn is more lighter bodied with some good taste to me....supposedly oak, etc. but I don't really distinguish all that but the blend of those flavors is pretty good anyways...

Had an Epic 825 State Stout. Excellent Beer. Epic is definitely my favorite Utah beer if not becoming my favorite brewer overall. This stout is a beer in their Elevated Series, the middle class of their beers. Haven't tried any of the high class yet, but even the lower class beers beat most. These guys will be a beer fest next weekend called the Festival of Flavors. Can't wait. The conflict will be I also want to do a big trail run that weekend and running before the event is not an option. Decisions, decisions.

images

I've also had the IPA on the left, good, but very strong. I prefer their Pale Ale, Capt'n Crompton's (made with Cascade hops)

I've got a couple of rants, its been a bad summer of beer for me. Apparently Goose Island is now owned by a conglomerate that produces awful beer. I was able to try some recently, Honker's ale and it was readily apparent to me that something wasn't right. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is? Do these microbrews get bought out and the corp then switches recipes from grains to syrups? Or maybe rice? Whatever it is it's terrrible. Other notable beers owned by them boddingtons, becks, bass, labatts, Leffe, Oranjeboom, Rolling Rock, Spaten, Stella, shocktop. Wow thats a lot of crappy beers too bad they had to ruin a decent microbrew in Chicago.

And got a case that looked pretty cool from fresh n easy made by Ballistic brewery. It's downright bad... stay away from all 6 varieties.

Now hopefully this case from Alaskan Brewing Co doesn't dissapoint.

Alaskan is ok Abide, but not great. Just decent.

Drinking Alameda's Yellow Wolf Imperial IPA celebrating the sale of our condo. This has really worked itself slowly into one of my favorite beers. It's really good and easy to drink a lot of it.

I also have a beer by 21st Amendment that I will be trying this week. I think it is an Imperial IPA too. I think it's called Hop Crisis or something like that. It's a little low on the IBU scale for an Imperial IPA at 94, so that makes me a little nervous to try it. I like canned beer though so decided to buy it today.

Just to add to the above posts...I think the mega big beer company's try to buy up any good small beer breweries they can...and little by little those good beers become less good...just my opinion.

Thurs Aug 1st was National I.P.A day...a work day for me so I'm celebrating today instead. Every 2 or 3 weeks I get out on the patio and have a few beers with a cigar like tonite.

To-nite we have Unita HopNotch IPA and Brigdeport IPA which these are both new to me and Great Divide HOSS which I've had in Denver on tap but have bottled now...we'll pretend its not there since its not an IPA. So I'll drink some and edit as needed.

Well the verdict is that both the Unita HopNotch and Bridgeport IPA are both pretty good middle of the road IPA's...nothing I can really detract from either. The Unita is a bit more hoppy than the Bridgeport with more contrast from less body to more hop...the Bridgeport is a bit better blended body to hop....over all hard to pick a favorite between the two.

The Great Divide Hoss in the bottle is not as good as I remember from on tap local in Denver seems like a different beer just less taste all around. It was really outstanding on tap but just decent to ok in the bottle shipped to Georgia.

Cracked open one of the new batch of "Porch Dog" brews. It is almost ready. One more week and it should be quite well "bottle conditioned." But this early taste confirms it will be a great brew for the rest of July.

View attachment 2386

Don't bother googling it. It's a home brew. The label is my wife's design.

So how'd it come out...years ago I home brewed in the late 80's early 90's. I'd start tasting after 3 weeks...usually it was best 4 - 6 weeks out from bottling.

Had Capital Amber Lager from Madison a few days ago in Oshkosh. They actually sold it in the temporary camp store during the week long event.

So how'd it come out...years ago I home brewed in the late 80's early 90's. I'd start tasting after 3 weeks...usually it was best 4 - 6 weeks out from bottling.

It was excellent. Great summer brew. Sadly, there are only 3 left. But, we'll be bottling a patersbier this weekend and an Irish red in about a month. So that means there will be an Irish red to celebrate my half marathon in late September (or soothe my wounds). :)

Reactions: mokaman
Went to my favorite place http://www.sedonataphouse.com/ last night with a friend. Being an IPA guy, I had a couple (OK three) draft Maine Beer Company "MO". This is a fantastic brew. Very hoppy (definitely "Cascade" hops), but not a really strong malt, ABV is only 6% so it is easy to enjoy a few without getting blasted early. Gonna go back on Thursday ad get a couple growlers of it. Thursdays is "half off" growlers, and since the regular growler price is $44.75. It is time to take advantage of it.

Gonna go back on Thursday ad get a couple growlers of it. Thursdays is "half off" growlers, and since the regular growler price is $44.75. It is time to take advantage of it.
Holy crap that's expensive! Right now I can go down to Alameda brewing on Saturdays and get a growler filled for $5.00. Wow, $44.75.... Wow.... Alameda is good microbrew beer too. In fact they make one of my favorite Imperial IPA's.

Holy crap that's expensive! Right now I can go down to Alameda brewing on Saturdays and get a growler filled for $5.00. Wow, $44.75.... Wow.... Alameda is good microbrew beer too. In fact they make one of my favorite Imperial IPA's.

Holy crap, that's cheap! Look like I'll be bringing a few of my empties up to Oregon. Not too many filling stations in Utah. At the brew pubs in Northern Utah they charge about 12-14, but there is a silly law about having to order food to get one. So the brew, chips and salsa (usually the cheapest option), and tip comes to $20. For 4% beer, not worth it.

Holy crap, that's cheap! Look like I'll be bringing a few of my empties up to Oregon. Not too many filling stations in Utah. At the brew pubs in Northern Utah they charge about 12-14, but there is a silly law about having to order food to get one. So the brew, chips and salsa (usually the cheapest option), and tip comes to $20. For 4% beer, not worth it.
I can also go to the new seasons and fill up for like 10-15. I forget how much it is exactly, but I know it is not more than 15. Must be because we have so much competition because of all the microbrews (1st or second per capita in the nation).

I can also go to the new seasons and fill up for like 10-15. I forget how much it is exactly, but I know it is not more than 15. Must be because we have so much competition because of all the microbrews (1st or second per capita in the nation).

Sounds good, we'll have to check a few of those out when I am up there. Deschutes on my way up to Portland is on my list.