What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

I'll have to let NSDR know that his thread just got its 1000th reply.

I picked up a 12 pack of Wind River Wyoming Pale Ale a month back and sadly drank the last one last night. ABV and taste puts it in the IPA range, but it is their Pale Ale. Pretty good, but I could tell the quality degraded a little with time.

As for SN, I am looking forward to the Celebration Ale when it comes out.

Went here today:
http://kingscourtcastle.com/home/images/docs/cv_2013_mb_Oktoberfest.pdf
Drove there in drizzle, parked, pulled out my bike, rode to Kroger to purchase the discounted ticket, rode around some more before returning to the venue, and THEN enjoyed.
It's always all relative... to the crowd there I was hard core for actually riding a bicycle more than a mile, and even harder core for walking around the premises in bare feet. Meanwhile I felt like I was just slacking....my wife is gone for the weekend doing 185 miles in two days on trails on her mountain bike in the rain....for a fun time out with the girls!

Whoa! thats too expensive for New Belgium, we get it here regularly for about $7 a six pack or $13 for a 12 pack. I can't remember how much Costco sells Fat Tire. Same as Boards Torpedo I think, but its fat tire and it kind of sucks...so too much in my opinion.

I really wish Costco would sell a SN sampler pack. I only have room for a case in the fridge and I like to mix things up too much to buy 24 of one type.
Yeah, Rampart's $9.49 for a six-pack at the big retail place I go to. They don't seem to make it in 12-packs like Fat Tire. Still, I really like it--very smooth for such a strong beer. Kind of perfect for an IPA really.

The Torpedo fluctuates between $11.99 and $12.99 for a 12-pack, which falls into my buck-a-beer range.

The Abbey Ale is great but really expensive. Can only justify it for things like birthdays.

Reactions: Abide
The Torpedo fluctuates between $11.99 and $12.99 for a 12-pack, which falls into my buck-a-beer range.

Hmm at most of my usually places I've yet to see it under 15.99 /12 and that might have only been once, usually 16.99 :(
I tempted to try costco but I just dont get that much of any particular beer. In fact I've probably only ever had two 6-packs of Torpedo though I believe it was one of my favorites. I just like variety and trying different beers and usually always find something new to try. I suppose eventually I'll have tried most of the common ones and circle back to my favorites more.

I almost tried the sn torpedo the other day, but I am not big on regular ipa's, I just remember you all saying it was good.
As I recall you liked the Imperial IPA's right? SN does have an Imperial IPA, the Hoptimum. But unlike thier Torpedo, I wouldnt consider it near the top of its class. I like bitter & hoppy IPA's and love several doubles/imperials, but Hoptimum is a bit over the top extreme for me. Very strong hop and alcohol. Probably won't be getting that one again but no regrets trying it.

Yeah Hoptimum is 10% ABV , Torpedo is a double or extra IPA and is 7.2% ABV. I've never seen Torpedo a buck a bottle except for the 24 pack at Costco.

Ya Tristan, Hoptimum is just ok in my book too. Its drinkable for me, but definitely not top of it's class. I'm finding the best beers are typically either only available on tap or in 22 ouncers. Hard to get a really good beer in regular bottle or can. There are a couple, but mostly they arent avalible in regular bottles.

Stone's 17th anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA. Just saw it one time and bought it. Been in the cellar since earlier this year. Pretty good, definitely can feel the 9.5% in this one. Wish I remembered where I got it/ could find it again.

IMG_6119-800.JPG
I broke it out since its a bit of a celebration today, being a week out from the race I've been working toward all year. Might cut out the beer the rest of the week, and maybe switch to a glass of wine with dinner and that it. Still unsure of the impact of alcohol on training, and beer vs. wine, but thats a topic for another discussion.

Abide, wish I had an answer but I'd have to do a taste comparison... most of the beers I 'age' are singles that I hadnt ever had before. And I don't really mean to age them but when I buy a more expensive beer I just have a habit of putting it away for a special occasion, after a race, or just a weekend that I got a lot accomplished and wanted a treat myself I guess. Also, our fridge is usually packed to the gills and I don't have a second one at the moment, so I'll usually let the stronger beers sit in the cellar as they will keep better. Not that my cellar is that cold, but in the heat of summer its usually still in the 60's and the rest of my house is in the 80's during the day since I don't have a/c.

One of these days after I've kept one in the cellar for say 5-6 months I'll have to go out and buy a fresh one and open them both up together and do a taste comparison.

Interesting, thanks for the link barefootn. I never would have known IPAs dont age well as atleast half of the beer I've let cellar for more than a month or two have been double or Imperial IPA's, and they seem fine to me (but I guess it could be different after a year or two, I rarely have left anything go more than 6 mos).

But since we're on the subject and I am currently in my basement and the beers are around the corner let me check... I have in the cellar right now (and for a few months so far) Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron (12%, and its already aged in Paraguayan Palo Santo wood tanks), and a few from Ommegang (BPA, Rare Voss, and Game of Thrones Take The Black Stout). I probably should enjoy the Rare Voss and BPA soon, as they are lower %.

I'm surprised about the IPA's too. I thought the extra hops acted as a preservative, and that only exposure to light made the hop additions lead to skunkiness. Are they just saying that the floral hoppy notes etc. diminish with age?
Meanwhile I'm not gonna get into aging. The way my personal health surprises have been going I can just see buying some expensive stuff and putting it away in the cellar only to find out that by the time I'm ready to indulge the next medical tests show that I have to give up the stuff. I'm sticking with buy fresh/consume fresh.

Yeah LB I'm no expert but I thought the reason that IPA's came about were to have the longer shelf life on ship or something like that, kind of like Port wine I guess (I do love a good Tawny Port). But like I said I dont really do it to age them, its more about just not having fridge space, and since I tend to save the nicer ones for a special occasion.

Ok well some celebration was in order for my first 26.2 miler. My big lunch wasnt setting to well in my stomach. I had a new one to me set aside waiting but decided a 10.5% imperial IPA (Stone RuinTen) might be a bit strong so settled on a Founders dry hopped pale ale. Even that didnt taste right to me, the bitter hoppiness just wasnt meshing with me today. So went down to the basement a put a bottle of Ommegang Rare Vos in the fridge, another one I havent yet tried, a Belgian amber ale. And threw a mug in the freezer, got it out at dinner time. Ahh much smoother, just what I needed this time.

IMG_6141-800.JPG

I had that Stone RuinTen on Friday... dang thats a potent IPA. I little bit too much for me.

Today I tried a Midas Touch from Dogfish Head. Wasnt sure if I was going to like it, sounded like another one of their out there beers that are just too far out there, but I really liked it. 9%, "Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes & saffron.

IMG_6157-800.JPG

Reactions: Abide and NickW
Tonight I am trying a Powder Hound Winter Ale from Big Sky Brewery. It seems to be hit or miss from my home state brewery and this one is more miss than hit for me, although it is still drinkable. I had a friend who had brought a six pack over last night of it. Last night I also had a Lagunitas Brown Shugga which is the first Lagunitas beer that I kinda like. I can't drink very much of it in one sitting as it is too sweet, but just on a 1 beer night it would be good. Would be a good after race beer. It is pretty strong at 9.99% ABV though, so watch out.

Reactions: Abide