The Official Race Weight Challenge!

sloutre wrote:Good things:

sloutre said:
Good things: Ran 10 miles barefoot on Saturday, my longest run ever...Bad things this week: All the cake and chocolate before and during my daugther 3rd birthday party

Nice job sloutre, I hope to be up at the 10-mile level soon. So, in what sense is the cake and chocolate bad? I mean seriously, you gotta live. ;)

Here's my weekly update: I had to buy some new clothes this week, and I was pleasantly surprised at the sizes.

My wife and I have both decided we look too dumpy and are investing in some nicer (and dressier, for Portland, where only the "alternative" kids dress in suits) clothes.

Normally my chest/shoulders/stomach are a little big, and so even though I'm short I have to get a L or even XL for a shirt or jacket to be comfortable. It leaves me sporting a baggy, vaguely LA-gangster from 1989 look, which can be ok, or can be dumpy as I just don't have the game face for it. I could never, ever hold a pistol sideways. My "victim" would just laugh.

But that's a tangent. Last week the L smartwool sweater just didn't look right; and the M fit perfectly. Then holy crap I got a Marmot raincoat in S. S! I looked, dare I say it, a bit trim. New experience.

Then my big purchase: a pair of dressier shoes. I picked black Frye boots with a plain front that when cleaned up would be just fine for a business meeting. (Again, Portland standards). They look hawt, just like on this movie star:

Russell_Brand_Feb8_0124.jpg

Then I had to run half a mile chasing a bus in them and it was comical clodhopping. I felt like I was wearing horseshoes.

A pound and some change down.

A pound and some change down. One pound away from race day weight (203.8 - currently 204.8). I was surprised to not be more since we don't have the heat on yet and it's 57 degrees in here and I am eating everything in sight.

Once I get to race day weight, I will be better about posting here. Zumba, how do you find the time?

Back to 184 this morning for

Back to 184 this morning for me. My intermittent fasting didn't go very well, when I got home I ate everything in sight for the next 4 hours...

More veggies and fruit will be my next goal. They at least keep me full.

Mike, as you notice some days

Mike, as you notice some days I am lacking some of the foods I eat...usually because I go off the wagon and eat to a point where I just lose track. On Sat. I think I must have eaten a dozen bon bon cookies, at some point had haagendas chocolate dipped ice cream treat etc etc. While the majority of what I eat is healthy, I definitely have my share of not so healthy choices..thus the stubborn pounds (I mean with burning 500-1000 cals a day in exercise alone you'd think I'd lose weight so the extra crap I shovel in has to account for something LOL).

You should give it a try, writing down what you eat..it's a huge eye opener and posting here keeps me honest with my eating. I'm less likely to eat too much crap knowing I'm posting healtier eating for our challenge ;)

Yesterday:

b: special k, banana, water

s: whale crackers and craisins (kid food LOL, is it obvious that I'm a Mom?)

l: wonton soup, 2 crab rangoons, curry chicken and veggies w/fried rice (total pig out)

s: hot cocoa

d: left overs (more curry chicken and veggies, glass of old vine zin

refrained (had to do) from eating the frosted sugar cookies my inlaws showed up with right after dinner.

after dinner: green tea with a bit of honey

Tuesday:

b: dry sourdough toast dipped in hot cocoa, banana (2.5g, 370cal)

s: 1/3c frozen mango, 1/4c homemade yogurt with flax (2, 150)

l:

Stomper, huge congrats on the newer smaller clothes!! That's awesome, keep it up!

J, I have no clue...think I just buzz around in a scurry most days...it all becomes a blur LOL Nice weigh in!! :)

Abide, sorry about the

Abide, sorry about the fasting..never goes well for me either. It always turns into an all or none thing, as soon as I start I can't stop. I figured it's best for me to just eat smaller meals all day rather than going long periods without eating. Everyone's different though, use this experience as a learning tool :)

Abide, funny, today was the

Abide, funny, today was the first day I got back on the intermittent fasting wagon since awhile. I had gotten into the habit of snacking when I come home. But the pendulum has swung back and I've lost my intense cold weather hunger. Hopefully, I can keep it up.

195.4 lbs for a 3 pound loss.

195.4 lbs for a 3 pound loss. I have reduced processed food and meat as much as possible. I also have been ramping up my training mileage.

15 degrees this morning. Man I hate the first couple of miles in this stuff!

Keep up the good fight all!

I told myself I'd do weekly

I told myself I'd do weekly weigh ins but I missed it this Monday. I have a feeling I've gained weight rather than lost it so I'm probably somewhere around where I started again. On a more positive note, I've gotten rid of the tonsillitis, which is what the cold turned out to be, and I'm back to running so that should help.

Well a couple of new things

Well a couple of new things to report. Yesterday I was down to 180 and I was fully hydrated.

I did a little more research about fasting and decided that I am going to try a different method. I'm going to fast for 16 hours three times a week including sleep. I discovered a little trick, if I bring a ton of veggies and fruit with me I can just pig out on them after the fast is over. They have really helped blunt my post fast appetite.

Abide, good tips about

Abide, good tips about fasting. Where does the 16h plan comes from? I can certainly do that if it includes sleep time.

At the moment I'm starting a different type of fasting: clear liquid diet today and fasting tomorrow in preparation for an unpleasant medical exam. I thought I would have many, many years before been prescribed this type of exams.

We will see if this forced fasting helps with my weight loss. I will make sure I have tons of fruits and veggies available when I can eat again.

The down side is that I will probably not be able to run 10 miles on Saturday, and we expect rain on Sunday. Maybe I should run in the rain, at least the temperature will be above freezing.

I saw it on leangains.com

I saw it on leangains.com I think? They suggested different types of fasting depending on what works for you. Some do either 24 hour days or 16-18 hours daily. The big part is eating before and after excercise and then fasting the rest of the day. I definitley consider sleep time fasting. I find it easy to eat lunch and dinner and then fast until right before my lunch workout next day.

People fast really

People fast really differently. Some people fast and keep a "window" open. Some people fast all day a couple times a week and eat normally the rest of the time. I fast 23 hours a day and then eat a hellotta food in one sitting at lunch. It's what works for me - I read about a Masters champ recently in Running Times who does the same thing, so I must be on to something. I think the key to fasting is to be consistent about what you do and intentional about what and how much you eat when you do eat.

I weighed in at 184.6, down

I weighed in at 184.6, down from 186.6 at last weighin. I'm sticking with the mindful eating because fasting and dieting and such just drive me nuts and are extremely counterproductive for me.

One strategy that works for me is to make my "extras" like beer and chocolate just a little harder to get to. The beer is staying in my garage. If I'm tired, it's just too much work to go for the extra calories and I end up eating an apple or just going to bed.

Sloutre, congratulations on the 10 miler! How are you doing that in this weather? Wow! I'm liking getting out in the cold now, but in my VFF's, not BF.

I could never do the eat stop

I could never do the eat stop eat style fasting where it's different every day. Eating just once a day makes more time for running and less time thinking about when and what to eat. But I hear ya, Joseph.

http://nutritiondata.self.com

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned
apparently, according to this and at least one other site I need 3200-3600cals a day to maintain weight...someone explain how I eat 1800-2500 and gain weight? :puzzled:

Zum, I think maybe you're

Zum, I think maybe you're just not burning enough calories. Maybe you should exercise a little more. NOT!! Just kiddin' (about the exercise, not the NOT) ;-)

Mike, you are so right.

Mike, you are so right. I need to get off my tush and start exercising a little bit don't I??

No mileage at all fo rme this weekend, we have been snowed in since Friday. Finally shoveled out, going to teach belly dance (if anyone shows up) and core strength. Would LOVE a run, though with -30 happenin with windchill and no proper really cold winter running gear, it's not going to happen. MAYBE a shortie 5k or something, we'll see.

Back on the wagon with journaling foods, going to keep a relatively extensive journal as I'm in the beginning of marathon training.

Stay well all1

Initial weight: 155

Initial weight: 155 lbs

today: 150 lbs but I may be a little dehydrated, I'll see if I can maintain this weight during the week.

I ran only once this week, 10 miles again. It's still a difficult distance for me and I'm pretty weak at the end. And I chose to run only on the warmest day of the week, at the warmest time of the day. This week I plan to do a few short runs (maybe hills on the treadmill, or speedwork) and another 10 miles next weekend.

I had to have a medical exam on Friday and had to fast the day before, it probably helped with the weight loss. We will see if it lasts.

I'll continue to eat mostly juices or raw fruits/veggies during the day and have a normal dinner.

I would love to keep my weight under 150lbs, if I can average 147 I would be delighted. Thanks everybody for the motivation, it's just what I needed.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7