Zems

I would also add that I would

I would also add that I would NOT want them to switch to a neoprene unless it was a different version. Summer minimalist shoes are a missing link for me. I can always wear my Protons or now Bikilas in the winter, but I value the coolness of the rounded Zems for summer running ALOT.

I think the width of the toe

I think the width of the toe box is perfect, for sure bigger than what I need but thats fine with me.

My main complaint is that they start to smell if you wear them all day. They take forever to dry if you wash them though I wear them to school alot and have been seriously thinking about canabilizing some socks and trying to make a split toe out of them. I've never had this problem with shoes (even my gym shoes) so I'm assuming its the lack of socks thing.

I'm not sure why your feet

I'm not sure why your feet are stinking in them. Mine don't so that's a new one for me. I'll see what I can find out but when I want socks with them I just go Injinji my friend.

They hold water more than typical shoes because of the weave of the upper's fabric. It's a four way pattern so it tends to hold water in but does it in a way that does not put you at risk of blisters. These were meant for water and beach use so I guess the drying quickly aspect was not so much on their minds.

I've been in a lot of talks about the upper for the running model and there are a lot of good ideas so I'm interested to see what works best. Of course I'll give you guys all the information I'm allowed to as I'm allowed to give it.

Also I would not expect a winter or hiking version any time soon. The main focus is on the running shoe and maybe we'll see from there but the idea with the running shoe is for it to also be an any season/activity shoe as well as a great piece of running footwear.

Just got mine yesterday (the

Just got mine yesterday (the split toe), tried them on and I must say right now I am very impressed. I have not gone for a run yet, but I did wear them around all evening including some serious play time at the park with my 3 year old. It does look that I will need to get a larger pair though, as right now they barely fit my feet, and there is no way I would get a pair of socks on for the winter.

I hope to go for a run in the next couple of days, so I can evaluate.

glad to see its not just my

:) glad to see its not just my feet. Jimmy had me worried. I think if I just ran in them it would be ok. They start to smell when I wear them to work around hour 5 or so. I can't wear toe socks. My toes might not like being crushed together but they hate being separated like that. Its one of the main reasons I tried zems in the first place instead of the VFF (plus the price of them are insane). I like my big toe being off on its own but not my other ones. I have some plans for modifying my socks though since I did go try on some VFFs last night and they are most certainly a no go.

I was totally kidding about the hiking version too. Sorry I forget sarcasm doesn't always come across well on the internet. The more durable running version will probably be fine for hiking anyways.

My feet totally start

My feet totally start stinking in the ZEMs but I've found I really like wearing them with socks, which gets rid of the odor and helps them fit a bit more snugly.

I just ordered a pair. 

I just ordered a pair. I would say that I'm looking forward to running in them, but that would be a bit of a lie. Basically, I'm planning on them being Winter footwear, and I'm enjoying the nice, Fall weather, which is still perfect for bare feet.

Injinji also makes a sock

Injinji also makes a sock that is just like the split toe shoe. it only separates the big toe.

I really am surprised about the stinky feet. I've worn mine for 12 hours straight before and had nothing in the area of stink. You people must have some nasty feet :) I'm kidding and am thankful for the feedback. Might be something that can be worked on.

I don't think my feet stink

I don't think my feet stink in them either...but man oh man, my daughter's feet stink to high heaven!

I also wanted to add that I like the Ninja toe WAY better than the rounded toe. For some reason, when I wear the rounded toe Zem, my feet want to slide back and off the heel. That doesn't happen in the Ninja.

Jimmy Hart wrote: ewheel My

Jimmy Hart said:
ewheel My first pair of split toes or ninjas as they used to be called made it a little over 300 miles before they ripped through the fabric that rolls over the edge. I ran all of those miles on pavement too. I've found a simple fix that only takes about 15 minutes but I paint those edges with plasti dip and they are good to go for what seems to be as far as I want them to. I only put the plasti dip on the edges where the fabric would meet the ground and that stuff is pretty durable. beyond that the bonus to plasti dip is that I can keep reapplying it as many times as I want when it starts to show wear. just an idea for those of you enjoying the zems and want them to last a little longer but you're right the price is nice for such a light and well fitting shoe.
Jimmy, do you apply the plasti dip before you ever run in the Zems, or after you've worn them for awhile and they begin to wear out at the seams a little. I'm expecting my Zems to arrive in the mail in a day or two and figure I should get some plasti dip soon.

First exposure to this shoe

First exposure to this shoe after coming back to this forum and I'm impressed. Plus for only 30 dollars seems like cheaper than what I spent on making my huaraches. Might pick myself up a pair to run in.

I've done both Matt.

I've done both Matt. However I'm now playing with all kinds of stuff on these shoes. I'm in marathon training and on longer runs I'm finding that I'm getting a little sloppy with my form and even the plasti dip is taking a beating. The other issue is that I'm training with walking breaks so that I can be used to them for my even in January (the person I'm running with uses them). I have a heel spur so I'm walking differently than normal and it's really trashing my ZEMs at the heel. All that pavement friction is proving to be bad in that regard.

It's kind of crazy how I was able to put 300 miles on a pair with almost no wear and one little injury to my heel bone makes these shoes wear out really fast. Next up is Shoe Goo as a protectant. I have high hopes for it.

Thanks Jimmy.  I'll keep a

Thanks Jimmy. I'll keep a close eye on them and see how they do. I have a 5K coming up in a little over a week, so I want to stick to just barefoot until after that. But after the 5K, I want to play with the Zems a bit to see how they do.

Jimmy Hart wrote:Next up is

Jimmy Hart said:
Next up is Shoe Goo as a protectant. I have high hopes for it.

Be sure to report back on the success of the Shoe Goo, Jimmy! I'm off to re-Plasti-Dip mine. :)

By the way, I've run with these the last couple of runs with an extra insole (from a really old pair of sneakers) inside. I got a bruise or something on my forefoot that has just needed a little extra cushion. That's been a good option for these days when I need a shoe that is still minimal (without a big ol' padded heel or anything) but isn't QUITE so minimal. I did have to work out some chafing when I put in the insole since it made the shoes fit differently. Some well-placed Band-Aids took care of that.

I'm looking forward to taking the insole out and feeling the ground again, but I do appreciate shoes that are so flexible that I can cram an insole in there that isn't made for them, and still wear them.

PKFFW wrote:I was wondering

PKFFW said:
I was wondering about the plasti-dip stuff.

Firstly, what is it? Not sure we have anything in Australia called that.

Secondly, where do you apply it? Just around the seem on the bottom?

Usually auto parts stores will carry it. The original purpose of the stuff was to recoat rubber handles on tools. Like super glue we now use the stuff for much more than it was orginally intended. I painted my motorcycle with it once...

It's a great product to have

It's a great product to have in your toolbox, along with cable ties, lok-tight, duct tape, and WD40.

Really all a minimalist needs to fix just about anything is the WD40 and duct tape.

If something is supposed to move but does'nt, use the WD40.

If it's moving but should'nt, apply the duct tape.

Simple as that.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon