Zems

I wore my Zems for the first

I wore my Zems for the first time this past Sunday. I ran a 5K, and the temp before the race was 38, and I thought that it was best to try to keep my feet warm up until the time that the race actually started. I didn't run very far in them, probably a few hundred yards. My inintial impression is that they are extremely light, which is a really good thing. Normally, when I try to run in any footwear, I really notice the weight on my feet.

However, my feet didn't stay warm after I took them off and ran the 5K. My feet were very numb for at least the first half of the race. I blame this on the air temp, and the dew in the grassy field where the race began, before moving onto a paved surface.

I can't really blame the Zems for that, can I?

I'm going to try them on a shortish run this evening or tomorrow evening and see how they are for a real run.

I've finally had the chance

I've finally had the chance to try the ZEMs in cold weather and I've been pretty happy. The past two days I've run in wet rainy conditions with 40 degree temps and my feet were warm the whole time. I also barely noticed the moisture which was nice. I'm not sure what you folks up north are finding but so far they're passing the cold weather test down here.

Okay, I finally ran in my

Okay, I finally ran in my Zems, and it was a mixed bag.

On the negative side:
  • They are extremely loud. Generally, I am ninja-like quiet when I'm running. (I'm not saying I've got great form, but I am quiet.) The Zems were much louder than aquasocks or racing flats. I tried playing with my cadence and form, but I couldn't find a way to run in them quietly.
  • The heel area fits strangely. This was mainly something I noticed when I first put them on. But once I was running in them, it wasn't really and issue.
On the positive side:
  • They are extremely light. Unlike racing flats or aquasocks, these are virtually weightless. I didn't notice any extra weight on my feet running.
  • I had pretty good road feel. I could really feel the variations in the road, including cracks. It wasn't the same as barefoot, but it was the closest I've ever gotten in shoes.
  • Rocks. Yup, they hurt almost as much as if I was barefoot. I had a similar reaction, where my foot automatically adjusted. I'm not sure if this instinctual reaction would hold if I wore the Zems chronically.
Overall, I imagine that if I wore Zems for a race I could run nearly as fast as I can barefoot. It really feels like there isn't a lot there to alter my ability to run the way I'm used to running.

Jimmy Hart wrote:I've

Jimmy Hart said:
I've finally had the chance to try the ZEMs in cold weather and I've been pretty happy. The past two days I've run in wet rainy conditions with 40 degree temps and my feet were warm the whole time. I also barely noticed the moisture which was nice. I'm not sure what you folks up north are finding but so far they're passing the cold weather test down here.

I hate to break it to ya, but 40 degrees isn't cold!

fetish4running wrote:Jimmy

fetish4running said:
Jimmy Hart said:
I hate to break it to ya, but 40 degrees isn't cold!
+1 I'm thinking that temps in the teens will be where the really testing begins. 40 is still barefoot weather.

I'm willing to bet the zems

I'm willing to bet the zems do better in the teens than they do in around 25-40s. In the 30-40s you still have to worry about rain and salted road slush and they pick up water like crazy. Once you start hitting down to the teens though you just have snow so as long as you aren't standing around allowing your body heat to melt the snow you should be ok. I'd take running in cold snow over cold water (or especially salted cold water) anyday. I used to get so annoyed during undergrad (in Michigan) that I could wear my flip flops all winter but had to take them off in the spring. Of course thanks to living in S. California my feet went numb at 55 degrees on a run the other day so I should probably invalidate my own opinion.

The most pain I ever

The most pain I ever experienced running barefoot was when I ran in mid 30's but wet conditions. Never again! But upper 20's and dry isn't too bad on my feet.

I always kinda chuckle

I always kinda chuckle (usually to myself) when I see someone post about running barefoot in the winter...and then I see that they live in some southern state! 40's is most definitely barefoot running weather. I am concerned about the 20's (and lower) accompanied with slush/snow.

fetish4running wrote: I

fetish4running said:
I always kinda chuckle (usually to myself) when I see someone post about running barefoot in the winter...and then I see that they live in some southern state! 40's is most definitely barefoot running weather. I am concerned about the 20's (and lower) accompanied with slush/snow.

:) yeah its why I snuck in the comment about being originally from Michigan. I make fun of people who talk about "cold" weather here all the time (which in SoCal 50 is winter coat, gloves, hat and scarf weather), so I needed some authority to be allowed to discuss real cold with midwesterners. I've only been in Cali three years and thats enough to lose nearly all my tolerance. At least I remember what it was like to be able to walk through 3 feet of snow in flip flops. *sigh* no longer though.

ajb422 wrote: yeah its why

ajb422 said:
:) yeah its why I snuck in the comment about being originally from Michigan. I make fun of people who talk about "cold" weather here all the time (which in SoCal 50 is winter coat, gloves, hat and scarf weather), so I needed some authority to be allowed to discuss real cold with midwesterners. I've only been in Cali three years and thats enough to lose nearly all my tolerance. At least I remember what it was like to be able to walk through 3 feet of snow in flip flops. *sigh* no longer though.

It does sound like you're losing your edge...but at least you used to be tough!

Yep, when I was doing my shod

Yep, when I was doing my shod marathon training I would be out at 6am. Usually around 48 degrees, shorts and short sleeves.

Mike wrote: Yep, when I was

Mike said:
Yep, when I was doing my shod marathon training I would be out at 6am. Usually around 48 degrees, shorts and short sleeves.

When I was back home I loved winter for working out. I'd open up the door in our little apartment gym and get it down to about 45-50 degrees and go. Always shorts and a tank top. Of course if it was over 80 degrees I felt like I couldn't walk let alone work out so I guess theres a trade off.

That sounds so refreshing,

That sounds so refreshing, AJB.

Mike wrote:Exactly, lol.

Mike said:
Exactly, lol. After my 50 degree training the 84 degrees on marathon day killed me.

That happened at a local race this past year - it was just a ten miler but people were dropping fast (40 folks ended up in the ER and many more treated on the course). It was brutal. I wore Protons and was soooooo hot - Zems would have been perfect.

I realize 40 is not cold

I realize 40 is not cold people but it's much colder than the hundos i've been running in all summer. I just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how they held up in "cold" rainy conditions. Last winter I ran in snowy teens weather and this summer I ran when it was 105 so I hit the spectrum. Dont go doggin on the south! I also ran in the national cross country championships back in the day in Wisconsin with about a foot of snow on the ground...whoo that was chilly! I'm pretty sure I was the only fool out there in shorts but I have never been able to run in pants...doubt I ever will.

I respect you peeps up north for dealing with the extreme cold you get...I really do.