Zems

Beth, you cut your hair! 

Beth, you cut your hair! Very cute!

Thanks, TJ! It's drastic, and

Thanks, TJ! It's drastic, and I love it. :)

Just got my Zems. I went with

Just got my Zems. I went with black/black high top open toe version. They are VERY comfy and I've been wearing them all afternoon. Unfortunately, I twisted my ankle very badly earlier today. So now I'm laying on the couch with my foot in the air. So much for going on a run tonight.

Well pooh.

Well pooh.

Oh no, Jeep! Feel better

Oh no, Jeep! Feel better soon!

I'd say my biggest advice with ZEMs would be--get Plasti-Dip when you first get them, and use it from the beginning. I think I could have kept mine in better shape that way.

Also, my brilliant idea of putting in an old sneaker insole because I needed to cushion a sore spot? Oops. The insoles ended up pushing against the inside of the ZEMs in such a way that the heel split from the upper. I didn't figure that out until I removed the insoles. My ZEMs are pretty much shot now. :(

I'm sorry to hear that Beth. 

I'm sorry to hear that Beth. I would not have guessed an insole would do that. I've been using insoles in mine lately due to the heel spur and don't think they've caused that kind of issue. I'm going to have to play with it and test them more now.

No news on the shoe goo yet. I've had no time to get a run in between battling a cold and working non stop.

I've around 70 miles on mine

I've around 70 miles on mine so far w/ no signs of wear on the tread. I've used the plasti-dip on where the upper meets the sole the only place of noticeable wear, and its helped. If they address this on the running model, we'll be in great shape!

Mine came yesterday after

Mine came yesterday after ordering them Wednesday utilizing the BRS link of course.

As I had feared, the correct length size was way to tight for me to even get into the shoe all of the way.

Toe box itself is roomy, but my wide and thick feet just won't fit the rest of the shoe.

My wife fits in them nicely, but there is a lot of extra length up front.

She'll keep them as a superlight shoe to carry with her on extended cold weather barefoot walks when either protection or added warmth is occasionaly needed.

BTW, she tried her second BFR outdoors yesterday, and first with me in years. She had given up running due to knee problems, and was afraid to even try following her worsened pain after arthroscopic clean-up.

She was biking 25-50 miles seven days a week all summer and up to a week or so ago, but the colder weather along with increased work obligations has ended that for now.

No knee pain for her today or last time (20 minute walk and fun run the first time, just a half mile run in the middle of a walk yesterday)

Maybe she will stick with it!

Thank you, kind sir!

Thank you, kind sir!

That's good news about your

That's good news about your wife, Board.

Jimmy Hart wrote:I'm sorry to

Jimmy Hart said:
I'm sorry to hear that Beth. I would not have guessed an insole would do that. I've been using insoles in mine lately due to the heel spur and don't think they've caused that kind of issue. I'm going to have to play with it and test them more now.

No news on the shoe goo yet. I've had no time to get a run in between battling a cold and working non stop.

Jimmy--The insoles were too big for the ZEMs, so they really stressed the seams, and pushed the seams more toward the bottom. Smaller insoles probably WOULDN'T have done that. I wish I had trimmed down the insoles first.

Plus, I tend to run with way too much friction when I get shoes on, especially with those fairly thick insoles in there.

Jschwab, How did youget

Jschwab,

How did youget water in your Zems? I ask because i live in Oregon and it rains a lot here. I'm thinking about getting some for all the rain and cold weather. If they get wet in the rain then that won't work for me.

Mike

migangelo wrote: I'm

migangelo said:
I'm thinking about getting some for all the rain and cold weather. If they get wet in the rain then that won't work for me.

They get SOAKED in the rain. As in I wore them for a half mile in the rain yesterday (and this is Southern California rain) and I could wring out the water, which gave my friend a good laugh. They seem to actively pick up water. Then they obviously become quite heavy as well and they take forever to dry. Putting newspaper inside them helps though. As much as I like the feel of them I wouldn't recommend them for running in the rain with. I did a 8 miler in the rain a few days back and it was pretty miserable. I couldn't go barefoot the whole time because the gravel was tearing up my wet feet but the zems were so heavy because of the water I felt like I should of just worn my shoes. I'd get something else or wait till the running version comes out, hopefully they fix that issue since these are meant to be beach shoes.

They get soaked. For summer

They get soaked. For summer it's no problem but as they are made of lycra and not neoprene they make your feet shed heat when wet instead of keeping them warm. I suggest as an alternative Teva Protons (or the newer model Sling Kings). For me, they are a summer shoe or winter casual shoe for nonrunning purposes.

Jimmy, didn't you mention a

Jimmy, didn't you mention a while back, this forum or another, that ZEM was coming out with a version for running? Any update on this and when they'll be out?

yes they are and it is all

yes they are and it is all still in the design process at the moment. different ideas are currently being worked through and tested. the plan was to be out by the end of the year and that may still be the case but i dont have any definite dates to speak of. I get updates on them and the progress as well as logging my input into the design and so far I am very happy and excited.

I ordered a pair of Zems

I ordered a pair of Zems yesterday - can't wait to get them. I had a few no-feeling toes this morning and it's not even Nov. yet! I hope other runners will weigh in with their Zems experiences, I just can't spend the big bucks for FFV's. The idea of going cheap (wearing old socks on hands to stay warm - no, it's not pretty, not even a little bit) is very appealing.

Ok updates on all my testing

Ok updates on all my testing products with ZEMs.

Plasti dip is pretty decent but you need a few coats to get your efforts worth out of it. It adds no thickness to the shoe that I could feel while wearing them and worked good after I put more than one coat.

Shoe Goo is more durable than Plasti Dip but more difficult to work with. It's not hard to work with but it's thick and does not just brush on like the Dip does. It's also a little more difficult to make look "clean" and smooth in application. However it goes on thicker and has held up really. I can see scrapes and lines in the goo but it does not seem to be wearing off very fast.

With all that said I have purposely tried to be rough on the products. I've scuffed and shuffled my feet and just let the form fly at times to see how these things worked. For the time and effort I would probably just use shoe goo and not really worry about how pretty it comes out. For looks I would go more for the Plasti Dip since it's easier to manipulate and make look like it's supposed to be there.

My next project is adding different types or rubber to the sole. I've got Baler Belt, and Vibram rubber to test so we'll see how it goes and feels. I've also taken a pair apart and am thinking of creating a whole shoe from the sole up :) That would however wind up being a lot like the running shoe we are working but I'm getting impatient with the production process.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon