Zems

That's a great idea, PK! 

That's a great idea, PK! (What does your screen name stand for?) And welcome! Jimmy, has ZEM specifically said they know of martial artists interest in their footwear?

hmm a unique thing I could

hmm a unique thing I could test them for...."barefoot" drunk treeclimbing? Not much of a market for it though.
lol.png

ajb422 wrote: hmm a unique

ajb422 said:
hmm a unique thing I could test them for...."barefoot" drunk treeclimbing? Not much of a market for it though. :D

Ha ha, definitely a niche market!!

I am planning to write an in-depth review of mine (and have been saying that forever) but first I want to try the Plasti-Dip and see how that does with them. I will give a brief update here though.

I'm really embarrassed to admit it, but my feet are NOT even close to being friction-free while I'm running...especially when I have any sort of shoes on. I'm still new at this, and I have a lot to learn, and I know I get extra-lazy when I'm not actually barefoot. So anyway, when I had about 20 miles on them earlier this week, I already had a small "hole" in the sole where the top layer of rubber had worn away, revealing the next layer of sole. I put some industrial-strength glue (the stuff I used to make shoes last week too) on it, and that got me through my run today (6.6 miles.) I also used the glue on the worn parts of the upper (where it attaches to the sole) but I was pretty rough on them today, and definitely gave them a beating, especially that portion. I'm hoping to get some Plasti-Dip tomorrow; I'll probably wear my ZEMs when I run Wednesday.

Here's the thing--even though all that friction on my not-too-gentle running style has caused a lot of wear and tear, I looooove running in the ZEMs. So to me it'll be worth painting them with Plasti-Dip, and if I have to get a new pair every few months, so be it. I just SO enjoy running in them. But I can't wait for the running-style shoe.... I hope it'll be awesome.

Jimmy Hart wrote: AJB and

Jimmy Hart said:
AJB and Beth your points on gender specific fits have been noted and I appreciate the feedback.

Bob I will be very interested to see how the ZEMs perform in the colder temps that your climate will provide. I'm doing a lot of work with their testing program so your information will be eagerly awaited on my end.

That reminds me: If you are interested in testing the ZEMs let me know. We already have a lot of data and feedback in the running area so I'm not sure how many testers I need there but if you think they would be helpful to you in a unique area or just an area of activity that we haven't tested much, or at all, then let me know and we'll talk about getting you incorporated into our testing program!

Jimmy, I'd definitely be interested in testing them in Zumba (high impact dance fitness)...always looking for a good pair of minimal shoes to wear while teaching. I'm hoping to knock out a few birds with one stone, if I can get Zems plastidipped for cool weather to work for both running and Zumba...I'd be set!

Yes TJ they have actually

Yes TJ they have actually marketed the ZEMs for martial arts which is where the original name of Ninja came from for the split toe style. I appreciate everyone's ideas and offerings to test. I'm compiling a list at the moment and may be contacting you soon if we feel that your input in a specific area is the direction we want to go.

A lot of focus is going into the running model at the moment but there are also lots of other things in the works as well!

Jimmy - I know I gave a brief

Jimmy - I know I gave a brief review earlier but would be happy to give more feedback, and perhaps on different models as well. I've got around 38 miles on them and really dig them so far. I haven't used the plasti-dip yet but plan to. As I stated before, the only wear I've had is wear the fabric meets the rubber sole. It's really not a friction thing, just a really wide foot thing. The sole itself has no wear at all yet. Most of the miles thus far have been road but I did take it on an 8 mile technical trail run last week. I plan on alot more trail miles. They did better than anticipated, even w/ there lack of tread, they flexed around obstacles, much like the foot will. Let me know if I can help out any further.

I just painted mine with

I just painted mine with Plasti-Dip! If I can get 150 miles out of them, with repeated paintings with Plasti-Dip, I'll be happy. Still a decent deal compared to the cost of running shoes.

FYI--I found the Plasti-Dip at Home Depot, as others on this thread told me I would. (Thanks!) Lowe's does not have it--at least not on their website, and when I called the Lowe's near me, they said they didn't. At Home Depot it's in the paint department. At mine it was on the same aisle as spackle, caulk, glue, etc. But it was tucked away at a place where I could NOT find it. I had to get help to figure out where they'd put it. I guess it's not as popular as the 346 varieties of Gorilla Glue....

I was thinking about picking

I was thinking about picking up a pair of these for my toddler. Has anyone gotten a pair for their kid? What did they think?

I might pick up a pair for myself, but I am pretty happy with the Huaraches, and the Amphibians, so I am not sure what else I gain from the Zems. Maybe if a 50% off coupon appears.

I forgot...I also got a pair

I forgot...I also got a pair for my 4 yr old son. They're a little too big, so he still wears his flip-flops primarily. I expect his Zems to be perfect w/socks. We're going to Cedar Point this weekend and that's what he'll be wearing when it gets cold in the evening!

I'd LOVE to get them for my

I'd LOVE to get them for my kids, though do you find that with they'll withstand the amount of wear and tear a kid will put on them, my kids are NOT gentle with their clothing, footwear etc..to say the least. I would like to get them something for gym/PE though. Keep us posted Fet, on how they wear with your kids in them

My 9 yr old daughter is not

My 9 yr old daughter is not gentle with anything and her Zems are no exception! She scooters and rides her bike in them. She's had them for about two months and the material is worn on the bottoms at the heels. I could easily plasti-dip them, but she's also outgrowing them. I will for sure get her another pair when these are too small!

outgrowing them after 2mos,

outgrowing them after 2mos, is another worry of mine. LOL the way these kids grow!

It was kind of my fault.  I

It was kind of my fault. I knew she was closer to the adult XXS, based on the size chart that I printed and had her stand on. But she desperately wanted the Youth pink ones! So I ordered her the biggest size, knowing that it wouldn't last long. Next time, she's just going to have to live with the boring adult colors!

Thats one thing about kids

Thats one thing about kids clothes, by the time they wear out it generally a time to get them a larger size anyways. Though I can say even at 16 I've only had 2 pars of jeans that I actually grew out of instead of just tearing them to peices. They should reinforce kids clothes, haha, especially at the knees and stuff.

I think Zem needs to make a

I think Zem needs to make a hiking version. I totally tore a chunk out of the toe yesterday. I ended up taking them off for the rest of the way back so I could attempt to save them with the plasti stuff. My feet fared much better than the shoe.

I've been wearing these

I've been wearing these around and I'm finding they are not really like water shoes in that when they hold water they shed heat, unlike Neoprene which holds heat. I don't think I will rely on them for winter running for that reason. How are other folks feeling?

That's important feedback,

That's important feedback, J. Jimmy, can you share that with ZEM? The BRS is not promoting this footwear as minimal running footwear (or winter footwear)...yet. Once the running version (and if possible, winter version) comes out, I'm sure it will fit the bill nicely. In the meantime, the ZEMs may just be a very good shoe for getting around in at work, shopping, etc., in that they are quite minimal. How are you all liking the width of them at the toe box?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway