Zems

Jimmy- Three questions:1) I

Jimmy- Three questions:

1) I wear a 37 or 6.5, would I be better off in a 6 or a 7?

2) For walking a LOT at work- mostly indoor, but some concrete too... am I better off with the running style or the O2?

At least for now, I am going to try one pair, and since I have the Merrell's, and run with those already, not sure which makes more sense to get.

And the last question:

How easy are they to get on and off on the fly (while running)? I have the pure gloves and since they are mary janes and not lace ups, I can change in and out of them on rough surfaces very quickly.

I am SO, SO, SO excited.

I am SO, SO, SO excited. That's a great price too!

And they are so cool-looking! This one has my name written all over it....

360-black-pink-metallic.png

actually Color may control my

actually Color may control my choice. I love the blue... but they only come split toe in the 360's in blue.. and they come round toe in the O2's.. I figure I'll eventually wind up with a pair of each unless something changes.. so why not.. but which pair to get first...

Ok lets see if I can answer

Ok lets see if I can answer these questions. In terms of sizing I prefer a really snug fit. I am in the half size group and I go down for mine to fit right because I don't like room between my toes and the end of the shoe. I never have and really you should only need the extra room if you are a heel striker. Landing properly will usually eliminate the forward sliding so a snug shoe is my preference. Based on that I would say to choose your size on how you like your shoe to fit. If you're a half size and like them snug then go down, and if not then go up. As for width they are great so you shouldn't have to worry about fitting there. The soles are designed to compensate for width issues along with the tech bands so the shoe accomodates both narrow and wide feet so you should concern yourself with the length more than anything else.

The 360 is designed fo running and if you look at the sole you see how the durable rubber is plated in specific spots to account for wear. The black part of the sole is soft, very flexible, and not very durable. It wont wear out quick or anything but it's not designed for heavy use. This is how they achieve the flexibility like that of the original ZEM but offer more durability.

When I first tried the H2O my report back to ZEM was that they would make a great daily wear shoe. This is obviously not what they had in mind but in terms of a minimal every use shoe the H2O is the best ZEM offers in my book. The toe cap and heel counter offer great protection from scuffing and bumping and will also add good durability for walking. The sole is also covered more with the durable blown rubber than the 360 is so you don't have the durability issues that you might with the softer 360 sole. Both the 360 and the H2O have a platform sole that is attached to the shoe instead of the way they did it with the original ZEM that had the upper rolled under the sole. In these two models the upper does not make contact with the ground. We did that on purpose ;-) It's a lot more expensive and time consuming in the manufacturing process but necessary for durability sake.

The O2 is sort of designed as a best of both worlds shoe but necessarily great for either of the things I think the H2O and 360 excell at which is walking and running. The O2 makes a great indoor fitness shoe because the sole is flexible, sticky, and covered in the blown rubber. It employs the original style upper that attaches under the sole though. The sole is thicker and the upper is attached a little higher than before so it doesn't contact the ground as much as the original but this in my mind makes is slightly less durable than the other two models. The O2 and 360 both weigh in around 2.5 ozs making them insanely light and the H2O is slightly heavier because of the toe cap and heel counter but not much. I don't have an exact weight on them yet but having had them on my feet I can tell you that the difference is not really noticeable.

Last but not least these are a slip on shoe and you can literally get them off without stopping your run. I purposely tried it to answer this question for you khyricat. I was able to just slow down, catch the heel with my hand, knock them loose, and on the next stride take it off my fore foot. I'm sure it looked awkward and crazy but it answered your question and the answer is it is extremely easy to get them off on the fly!

I will probably stick to

I will probably stick to barefoot for roads, but my feet can't handle flying down rocky trails. Do you think the 360 can handle the abuse from rocky trails or are you saying the H2O is more durable?

Thanks Jimmy.. that means I

Thanks Jimmy.. that means I want the H2O first and the 360 second.. since its summer and I have the other ones I can use for running right now.. I do more bare than shod, but some shod as I start on a gravel road and when fresh graded need shoes on it.. and there is a section of very broken concrete in my favorite close to home run I hit no matter the length as its on the return part of the loop.

You rock, Jimmy--thanks for

You rock, Jimmy--thanks for all the info!

Just checked the ZEM site.

Just checked the ZEM site. They've changed the date--the 360 & O2 are now going to be available for pre-order "June 15 for deliver in early July."

http://www.zemgear.com/360.html

*sigh* was going to pre-order

*sigh* was going to pre-order for my b'day present to myself. Ah well.. will do the non running minimalist shoes I'm ordering in June still.. and will see about timing on the Zems.

Jimmy...Which Model would you

Jimmy...Which Model would you suggest for trail running. I do 100% BF when the weather is good but I would like to ditch my VFF's on the trails. I've just not had the time or money to research any other shoes for trail running lately but I am DEF going to get some new ZEM's when they come out. I am just looking for the best/durrible of the models for the trails.

Thanks in advance!

Bruno that's a good question.

Bruno that's a good question. I think by process of elimination I would say the H20. The 360's sole is mostly EVA and it's thin so you wont have much protection from stuff poking your foot except for the areas on the sole that are protected by the blown rubber. The 02 could be good but it's upper is attached to the sole in the original ZEM style so it seems you would risk tearing them up. That leaves the H20 which has a solid sole with lots of blown rubber. It also has the toe and heel caps which would give you stubbing protection.

Now with that said I really like the Altra Adam that will be coming out later this year. I can see it being a really good trail shoe (also great on the roads) for those that want something light and flexible to run in. You said you want to ditch the VFFs though and I tend to compare the Adam to the KSO, only a more flexible version without toes.

I keep checking the ZEM site.

I keep checking the ZEM site. It now says "Note: Availability starts mid July." The June 15 order date isn't there anymore. Sigh....

A little more to it than

A little more to it than that, but it is getting worked out. I am one of the area reps up here in Canada for the Canadian ZEM distributor, and we are not expecting our new lines for delivery any sooner than the end of July.

But when they get here, look out, there is some huge excitement out there for these new lines.

I am so sick of shoe

I am so sick of shoe companies making promises they never keep. Doesn't anyone realize how horrible it is for business to over promise? They look like bafoons when they keep back-peddling all the time. A company like Soft Star really stands out when they quietly release a new shoe (like the Dash and the Moc3). They don't go on and on, raving about it and get you all excited and then yank the rug out from under you. That's the kind of company that gets my business!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon