Zems

don't expect a heavy a price

don't expect a heavy a price tag when the 360's come out. i cannot give you a price but i can say you shouldn't have to worry about that. as for getting them in stores they are working on that aspect of their company. they have been working to get into stores but the current models just weren't going to be sold by running companies and larger outfits had a hard time finding a place for a product like the ZEM. i personally think that the newer versions make them more shelf marketable and that should help get them in stores.

I will contact the

I will contact the Fingerlakes Running Company in Ithaca to let them know. They would be a real hit in Ithaca!!!!

I know I want to get them.

Peanut

I'm assuming if they are

I'm assuming if they are mostly going to do Internet orders they'll have a decent return/exchange program. And shipping on something that light is cheap.

The pictures on the website

The pictures on the website sort of make it look like they used the same material for the upper part of the shoes as the older non-running version? Do you know/can you tell us if its the same and if it isn't what it is more like? The reason I ask is because of the sort crazy cappilary action abilities of the old ones made them not so good in wet conditions.

A lot of different materials

A lot of different materials were tried for the upper and I tried a lot of them out and it just always came back to what they already had. The reasons being cost, feel, comfort, and function. The 4 way stretch material they use now is cheaper than a lot of other stuff which lets the price of the new models stay down, the feel is great with the material and it's more comfortable than just about everything we tried. It also functions best for what we are asking the shoe to do in terms of flexibility and holding shape. The material resists stretching without being overly tight and it also bonds really well with the tech bands that run over the top of the shoe. Yes it holds water longer than even I would like but after trying a lot of other stuff I can honestly say this is the best stuff we could go with.

So, are we stuck with the

So, are we stuck with the hiney ad, Jimmy? My eyes are starting to hurt, squinting to not have to see half the screen. Ha!

I and the other ladies in the

I and the other ladies in the club appreciate that, Jimmy; now the guys, not so much. ;-)

I was given the answers to

I was given the answers to all your questions today! Don't get too excited however as I have not been given clearance to share all the info just yet. I will be on here very soon though with all the inside info so stay tuned if you are interested in the new ZEMs and from what I know now, and what I will know in the very very near future (insert thoughts of me writing a review) you will not be disappointed.

Great news Jimmy, I'm very

Great news Jimmy, I'm very excited to hear more. Specially now that many Merrell trail glove reviews say they are not the best on the roads. Because of where I live I'm doing most of my running on the road these days.

It's probably too early to tell but do you know how the sizing will run?

Sizing will be the same as

Sizing will be the same as the original ZEMs so if you know your size in those then you will be good in the new stuff. The fit will be a little different as the sole is not the same but it doesnt change sizing or anything. I actually like the fit with the new sole much better. The 360 will be great on the roads...that's all I'm saying for now :)

Barefoot TJ wrote:So, are we

Barefoot TJ said:
So, are we stuck with the hiney ad, Jimmy? My eyes are starting to hurt, squinting to not have to see half the screen. Ha!

NOOOOOOooooo TJ how dare you
regular_smile.gif

Yes, I dare!  Pttttth!

Yes, I dare! Pttttth!

Jimmy Hart wrote:Sizing will

Jimmy Hart said:
Sizing will be the same as the original ZEMs so if you know your size in those then you will be good in the new stuff. The fit will be a little different as the sole is not the same but it doesnt change sizing or anything. I actually like the fit with the new sole much better. The 360 will be great on the roads...that's all I'm saying for now :)

Sounding better and better.

But what if you don't know your sizing in the old Zems? Do they run true to size? Should I order a size up or down?

Jimmy, I am really excited

Jimmy, I am really excited about these!! I really think they are going to win over Altra & Merrell in my book! I'm psyched for them to come out.

PKFFW said:
But what if you don't know your sizing in the old Zems? Do they run true to size? Should I order a size up or down?

For me, the originals were true to size. I normally wear a size 7 women's, but my toes are fairly "square" without much of a taper, so "normal" shoes often squeeze my pinky toes. I got the XS, which says it fits Women's 7-8. They fit well with plenty of wiggle room in the toebox. They fit me whether barefoot or with socks. I do remember some people having sizing issues, but I didn't experience that. Exchange them if they don't fit. Their website doesn't give a lot of return info but does say returns are allowed. Even if you have to pay shipping on returns, shoes that light will ship really inexpensively.

It is tough to say when it

It is tough to say when it comes to sizing. For me I wear an 8 to 8.5 US in most shoes and in the ZEMs I like the small which covers mens 7-8. They are snug but I like my footwear to really hug my feet. They are not too small and I'm not hanging off the egde of the sole or anything but I don't slide around in them either.

Beth I think you are really going to like the ZEMs. Of the three you have mentioned I have actual knowledge and experience with two of them. Merrell is the only brand I have yet to try but I have had them in my hands where the others I have had on my feet and been able to run. Altra's stuff is outstanding and will definitely make it's place in the market but the ZEMs are in a class by themselves. They are just different from everything else with the style, flexibility, and weight so it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Altra will compare to Vibram which is what they went for where ZEM has sort of decided to make it's own place.

I think you're right, Jimmy.

I think you're right, Jimmy. Zem is the first minimalist shoe I ran in and when I got holes in them and switched to Vibrams, I thought, Well, I guess I just have to put up with a bulkier shoe if I want it to last. So if I can have that great lightness and flexibility of the original Zem and depend on it to stand up to asphalt...oh, that will make me so happy!! I know the ground feel may not be quite as good as the original Zem (since those soles were so crazy-thin) but is the ground feel pretty good/better than Vibram?

Thanks Jimmy, hope this means

Thanks Jimmy, hope this means I can find a Zem to fit my size 6.5 womens ft.. but these are sounding ALMOST perfect.. I'll have to make sure I can stretch them over a wool sock for winter wet running.. hopefully that combination will work for warmth and moisture wicking to keep my feet ok.. will the soles be a bit more around the edge to keep the upper dry easier if the roads are wet? I live on a dirt road that is NEVER plowed, so will be starting most winter runs on ice if I do outdoor running next winter (why I've stayed indoors all winter)

Beth the ground feel is

Beth the ground feel is better than in vffs. I think vffs offer a great amount of ground feel but the ZEMs are more flexible which gives you more sensory feedback.

khyricat the soles are attached the same way (unless they changed it on me) but the sole is built different so the sides dont come into contact with the ground the way the originals did. If you were to step off in some mud or a puddle then you are going to get wet on the sides the way you would have on a flat surface in the originals but on a flat surface where you would have gotten wet before you shouldn't now.

Jimmy, any more word on

Jimmy, any more word on approximate release date? Their website still says spring/summer. Which could mean it's in a few weeks...or that we still have to wait 6 more months. (Hopefully closer to the former than the latter!!)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7