What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

Fail at costco last night, they only had a sampler pack from Sam Adams with their fall beers, Spaten oktoberfest and Kilt lifter. I almost went with the Kiltlifter but decided I would wait and see if they get the Celebration beer you guys keep talking about. I'll keep my eye out for it.

No more Stone IPA, pretty dissapointed in that.

Last night was Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. This is one of few IPAs recently that I really do like! Perhaps even more so than Torpedo. A touch stronger at 9% too, which I like since I usually just have 1 beer. Problem is its double the cost, I think I paid 10 or 12 bucks for a 4 pack. This will be more of a special occasion beer for me at that price.

Don't get me wrong guys the torpedo was good it was just a bit musty or piney for my taste. Plus I was going back and forth between the Stone IPA and the Torpedo so it wasn't really fair. However for the price, I agree it is a really good IPA and I would recommend it.

Yeah I kind of like its piney note. But after the Torpedo the regular Pale Ales seem watered down to me now. :confused:

I had the Stone IPA recently and wasnt thrilled about it. Thats with the green outlines and the white demon thing at the top right? Mine had a bad metallic aftertaste to it. Maybe it was just a bad batch but I was glad I just got 1 in my mix n match pack. If thats not normal I'll try another later.

We have a big retail store that sells a lot of 12-packs in the $9.99 to $12.99 range. Summit used to be the best value, but Sierra Nevada is giving them a run for their money.
Thats cheep! Out of the typical 4 or so grocery stores I typically visit, I think only one I have seen the Torpedo available in 12-pack and I have yet to see it in stock. I think the sticker was $15.99

I had the Stone IPA recently and wasnt thrilled about it. Thats with the green outlines and the white demon thing at the top right? Mine had a bad metallic aftertaste to it. Maybe it was just a bad batch but I was glad I just got 1 in my mix n match pack. If thats not normal I'll try another later.
I really like their Arrogant Bastard. I wasn't as fond of the Ruination IPA, but I just got on their website and I didn't realize they had so many different "flavors". They apparently have a Lucky Bastard Ale that I really want to try now. Man I have a weakness for trying beers with funny names.

Catching up here . . .
I like Founder's Red's Rye P.A and their IPA a lot, but I don't like the price. The Red Hook IPA is also really good, and the bottle looks like the kind they sell moonshine in in Mozambique, so my wife gets a kick out of it. The SN wins out though, albeit by a slim margin, and the Red Hook is a buck or two more per 12-pack, so that seals the deal. Tristan, I usually just have a beer before dinner and then a glass of wine with, but if I'm having two I like to start with the SN Pale Ale and then do the IPA, that order works a lot better. Or just two IPAs . . .

Last night was Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. This is one of few IPAs recently that I really do like! Perhaps even more so than Torpedo. A touch stronger at 9% too, which I like since I usually just have 1 beer. Problem is its double the cost, I think I paid 10 or 12 bucks for a 4 pack. This will be more of a special occasion beer for me at that price.

Yeah I kind of like its piney note. But after the Torpedo the regular Pale Ales seem watered down to me now. :confused:

That dogfish sounds like it would be similar to arrogant bastard which I think is similar alcohol content and price. The metallic taste does sound unusual, chances are it was out of date. Places usually charge way too much for the Stone IPA so it tends to sit there longer.

I really like their Arrogant Bastard. I wasn't as fond of the Ruination IPA, but I just got on their website and I didn't realize they had so many different "flavors". They apparently have a Lucky Bastard Ale that I really want to try now. Man I have a weakness for trying beers with funny names.

Yeah they have a bunch but unless you are in socal usually all you can find is arrogant bastard and IPA. I'm a big fan of AB just not a big fan of the price. Around here I have only found a 22oz bottle for $4.99. The only time I spend that kind of cash on beer is for a trappist beer.

Yeah they have a bunch but unless you are in socal usually all you can find is arrogant bastard and IPA. I'm a big fan of AB just not a big fan of the price. Around here I have only found a 22oz bottle for $4.99. The only time I spend that kind of cash on beer is for a trappist beer.
I think it is 5 something here for the same bottle. Seems a bit ridiculous priced which is why I don't get to drink it very much. Maybe when I go to this other store here today I'll look and see if/what selection they may have of Stone. I really would like to try their other beers.

I've heard the aged oaked arrogant bastard is to die for but I haven't been able to find it. I think it also runs about $20 for a sixer too.

The weird thing is trader joes used to sell six packs of both AB and the IPA for $9.99, but then the 22oz bottle was still $5?

I've heard the aged oaked arrogant bastard is to die for but I haven't been able to find it. I think it also runs about $20 for a sixer too.

The weird thing is trader joes used to sell six packs of both AB and the IPA for $9.99, but then the 22oz bottle was still $5?
Really? I've never seen a sixer of any Stone product. Maybe I'll go to trader joes today and see if they still carry it, and while I'm at it pick up a few cheap bottles of wine for the wifey.

I have a friend who swears by Ommengang, but that stuff is expensive. Maybe for the holidays, or after my wife has bought some new shoes so she can't complain I just dropped that kind of money on something I'm going to piss out in a few hours.
I have a bottle of thier Three Philosophers in the cupboard. Never tried it, but at $9 I think it was, I am waiting for a special occasion. But hey, I spend that much on wine all the time, its just a different style brew.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I have a bottle of thier Three Philosophers in the cupboard. Never tried it, but at $9 I think it was, I am waiting for a special occasion. But hey, I spend that much on wine all the time, its just a different style brew.
True enough, but with a wife and kids, discretionary income has vanished, so I drink my wine out of a box during the week (Vella 5-liter boxes aren't too bad, and it works out to about $2.50-70 a bottle), but on Friday night I get something in the 7-12 dollar range to go with my steak. The Barefoot wines are good, and often on special. My current fav is the Petite Sirah by McManis. I got a bunch for $9.99 a bottle.

Reactions: NickW
True enough, but with a wife and kids, discretionary income has vanished, so I drink my wine out of a box during the week (Vella 5-liter boxes aren't too bad, and it works out to about $2.50-70 a bottle), but on Friday night I get something in the 7-12 dollar range to go with my steak. The Barefoot wines are good, and often on special. My current fav is the Petite Sirah by McManis. I got a bunch for $9.99.
You should try Fat Bastard or Pinot Evil if you ever see them. They are both in the $7-9 range and are fantastic. They are both reds, but I can't remember exactly what kind of red they are.

Reactions: Bare Lee
True enough, but with a wife and kids, discretionary income has vanished, so I drink my wine out of a box during the week (Vella 5-liter boxes aren't too bad, and it works out to about $2.50-70 a bottle), but on Friday night I get something in the 7-12 dollar range to go with my steak. The Barefoot wines are good, and often on special. My current fav is the Petite Sirah by McManis. I got a bunch for $9.99 a bottle.

My go to value wine is Yellow Tail Shiraz usually for $7. Its a dry red and goes great with my venison meals. IMO it drinks like a $20 wine easily.

I hear you about looking for value and all. I save money for the family by not having to buy meat or veggies usually, they all grow in my backyard!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee