Who has quit barefoot running?

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
Just out of curiosity has anyone here run barefoot for a while then stopped and now primarily runs in shoes?

What were your reasons, or your friend's reasons if that's who actually quit?

I started mixing barefoot and

I started mixing barefoot and VFF running after my last triathlon as an off-season stride aid. But as I've geared my training back up for this season I've run almost completely in VFFs, and haven't done much barefooting at all. I figure I'll be running the races with the toeshoes, I should be using those to train. I'll be going back and forth occasionally to barefoot. I know that's not the way to build up foot endurance, but my goal isn't to run races bare. Like I said, I plan on mostly barefooting when I need a form check-up.

However, I also don't think I'm ever going back to regular shoes. Minimalist is great, aside from TMTS I haven't had any of my old knee problems. Not while not a true barefooter anymore, I'm a minimal convert and occasional barefooter. Especially hiking and treking.

Good question Abide,

Good question Abide, blasphemous as it is. :bigsmile: If I had to live somewhere that was constantly snowed in I would probably go the minimalist route. Or did you mean shoes with thick soles?

I figure most people who go

I figure most people who go barefoot for a while have a hard time going back to traditional running shoes, you are right I meant any shoes.

That is a good question.  

That is a good question. Once I started running barefoot I never had the thought of going back to shoes. I am actually trying to going in the other direction and being 100% barefoot, which i am except for winter, but my goal is to run barefoot all year long now.

Running barefoot is just way to comfortable for me. I can't stand running vibrams anymore, i like huaraches, just for casual wear.

Hi Abide,I wouldn't have

Hi Abide,

I wouldn't have thought you would get a huge amount of responses on this thread as I would imagine that those that have tried it and given up probably don't visit the site anymore.

After all it would only make you feel bad if lots of others are transitioning successfully and you (not you) have failed or decided it wasn't for you.

I reckon most people that come to barefoot running do so because they have issues with injuries in running shoes, I know that is my case anyway.

After all if you are a happy heel striker and had no problems why would you change, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Neil

Yeah good point Neil.There

Yeah good point Neil.

There are a lot of minimalist runners here and maybe they could respond. I get the elements and terrain arguments, but I am wondering if there are other reasons such as societal pressures or if people just don't enjoy running barefoot.

I agree Adam. Occasionally I get the urge to run in shoes more, but then I do a couple of runs in them and I am reminded how much more I like to run barefoot.

I'm new to running, and

I'm new to running, and barefoot running. I've acquired a fair amount of experience though in the lat few months.

I started with the most conventional way of asphalt BF running. I did it for a while, but realized fairly quickly that running BF on asphalt pretty much sucks. Can my feet adapt to the surface ? Yes they did, and they can. I did it successfully. For me the issue was I found absolutely no pleasure about running BF on asphalt. I felt this way around traffic emissions as well as green belt asphalt trails. Also I can't help, but notice how many people report issues associated with asphalt, and skin issues during transition.

I bring this up because it spawned a change in my running desires. Now I run on the beach BF. I am also running in my local redwood forest on trails. The trails are very gravel like on top layer. So rather then suffer a slow transition I've opted to wear a invisible shoe that is 4mm thick. I still gets lots of ground feel. I'm sure many would consider way too much ground feel for the surfaces I run on with the trails. I'm in the process of getting another build your own product. Which will be slightly thicker with more aggresive tread. No footbed extras just the vibram material. I only plan to use these on trail runs. I will no longer waste my time on asphalt, and will continue BF on the beach.

Lastly I think folks throw around the term "barefoot running" too much. I so often see folks claiming to barefoot run, but they have some sort of minalmilist footwear on. When I run even with a modern huraches on my feet. I tend to describe myself as using a natural running gait. I'm not barefoot on the trail, but I'm using a natural running gait. Which is a much more healthy way to run obviously. As noted I did actual BF running during the process of learning the corect natural running gait. I have found very little change adding 4mm or so of material under my foot. Cause I still have so much feel on the trail surfaces I'm running on.

The greatest outcome of the change to trails, and beach. Is the workouts are so much better in these environments compared to a standard street run. Lots more variety in many forms. So I'm very pleased for the asphalt break through, and the use of a modern huraches on alternative running environments.

Have I quit BF running ? Some might say yes partially, and others may say no.

I say that I move with a natural running gait......

Yeah, I know plenty of people

Yeah, I know plenty of people who started out doing more barefoot running, and now run mostly in minimalist shoes. I don't know anyone who has abandoned barefoot or minimalist running altogether though. The ones who have done so have also given up running...but they weren't very serious to begin with.

I'd like to hear about people who have done the barefoot/minimalist thing who have gone back to traditional trainers. I don't think any such people exist personally. I don't see why you would want to go back.

Humboldt-explorer wrote:I'm

Humboldt-explorer said:
I'm new to running, and barefoot running. I've acquired a fair amount of experience though in the lat few months.

I started with the most conventional way of asphalt BF running. I did it for a while, but realized fairly quickly that running BF on asphalt pretty much sucks. Can my feet adapt to the surface ? Yes they did, and they can. I did it successfully. For me the issue was I found absolutely no pleasure about running BF on asphalt. I felt this way around traffic emissions as well as green belt asphalt trails. Also I can't help, but notice how many people report issues associated with asphalt, and skin issues during transition.

Interesting, i run 100% on asphalt/concrete and love it, in fact like it more than soft trails and the beach. I like running barefoot on hard surfaces, i find it very relaxing on the feet.

Abide, to add blasphemy to

Abide, to add blasphemy to blasphemy, maybe you should post the same sort of question on another board where the more conventional folks hang out.

As for me, I'm not feeling too guilty about using my VFFs for getting through the winter and for nasty or unknown courses. I think the reacclimation to true BF will be pleasant and not too time consuming. Next winter I'll do it again.

Depending on exactly where

Depending on exactly where you draw the line of real shoes and minamalist shoes and exactly what you call quitting I might qualify, I still really like running in my nike frees. And technically I quit BF running this last 2 weeks or so to let some tendonditis TOFP heal up. Before the TOFP bout I quit using the nikes for a couple months because I was having some transistional ankle pains that the nikes were exacerbating. But now that that is cleared up I've been doing alot of running in them. The invisible shoes are not enough protection for me to really enjoy my trail runs. I love sprinting up and down hills and I can't do that without alot of protection. I hated the merrells when I put them on, the old zems aren't durable enough or enough protection, and I refuse to buy a 160 dollar pair of shoes off the internet so the Evos are out. I know this is a pretty much anti-free crowd but they really don't bother me too much. But I can't run in my TRS, I tried just to see, it doesn't work I really sort of hurt myself actually. But I didn't really quit bf I suppose, I'm planning to start back up very soon.

haveing made it through my

haveing made it through my first winter barefoot 24/7 here in the PA midstate...I am even more disinclined to wear minimals while running...I've only done 2 runs with them in the last year...I have no intention of putting on any type of shoe...although, I may bring minimals with me on my first 25K trail race, my first marathon in may, and my first 50 miler in october, just in case they will keep me from a DNF...

I have no problems on trails or roads (I was off my feet for a day after 13 miles on chipseal a couple of weeks ago....that was an interesting experience...I suspect the more I do it, the quicker the recovery will be)...I've not had a 20 mile run yet, but very close to getting there.

I might not be as fast as I would be in minimals at this point yet, but I don't care about it...I'd rather feel the earth with my feet...I do understand those of you who want to "be fast" using minimals, but I think eventually I'll be just as fast bare as I would be in them, on all terrains.

It amazes me that I only started running regularly last year, almost to the date, and now a 13 mile run is nice and easy, and anything under 5 feels way to short.

Hey Nate, I was wondering

Hey Nate, I was wondering about you recently. Good to hear that your training is going well.

Joseph, you wrote: I'm not feeling too guilty about using my VFFs for getting through the winter and for nasty or unknown courses.

I totally agree that nobody should feel guilty about their choice of footwear. I understand that some take pride in being barefoot in the most 'difficult' situations, but the opposite (wearing shoes) should never bring shame, at least not here at the BRS. It's all about enjoying our runs, not being purists or hardcore.

Personnaly, I gave up BF for over 2 month because of the snow. I had one great run in scuba boots in the snow but the rest of my runs were far from memorable. This week I was lucky to enjoy a couple of barefoot runs and it was exhilarating to feel the pavement again. Running felt easy again, my form clicked, I was smiling the whole time. Let's hope I won't have to use shoes again until next January.

thanks for thinking of me

thanks for thinking of me guys....I've been really busy...trying to fit longer runs in with my yoga/kung fu teaching/training schedule....FB is pretty easy for me, quick on and off...I find the growth (which is fantastic) here overwhelming at times and so far "behind" in forum reading :)...

I did experience a small tad of frostbite on a couple of toes in Jan. But it healed just fine :-D. I should have taken some pictures for you all....

But I am doing very well ;-).

For me I am always going to

For me I am always going to love barefoot best!!

I have embraced testing out minimal shoes in the winter but dream of warmer days to ditch all the silly shoes :)

We have had a fairly mild winter here in Des Moines but its still hell. I wish I lived in Southern Cali or the Pacific north west.

As of yesterday I have started barefoot again and plan to keep it up until the end of November if not longer :)

I don't see how people can go back to shoes all the time. I take great pride in all the work I did to get where I am now as a barefoot runner.

I quit every winter!The last

I quit every winter!

The last 2 winters before this year I really tried to push my limits in the cold but it never really got any better so this winter I decided to just bag the barefoot in late November till it warmed up...this will be my new way doing this from now on. Basically I just trail run thru the winter in shoes then mostly pavement run barefoot thru summer.

The first 2 years I ran barefoot back in 2005-06 I stopped and restarted several times till I worked thru all the mistakes I made...some of those times I thought I wouldn't go back to barefoot but I couldn't stay away. I never ever did go back to regular running shoes except for one run...those shoes ended up in the trash after that.

Nate, nice job!    My goal is

Nate, nice job! My goal is to go a full year running barefot, even winter. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is I have been running a spring marathon for the past two years, and train through the winter. I wore VFF's because I didn't want to sacrifice and mileage. BUT, now more spring marathons for me, I want a winter where I am not training for anything, so this goal will be ideal.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7