To Marathon or not to Marathon?

How's your running been going lately? Are you still keeping your mileage down? Or has the ITBS cleared up completely? This is getting to be a mammoth thread.
the running has been good...the best thing I could have done for my ITBS is strength work with my resistance bands.
I took a month completely off, foam rolled and stretched. My first day back I couldn't do more then 2 miles.
Once I started my strength exercises on my days off.....I quickly got back to 5-8mi runs with almost no tightness.
http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/files/2012/06/Trish-McAlaster-hip-strength.jpg
I'm doing the exercises from this link. Currently at 2 sets and I just increased the
resistance level. Rest, ice, meds, and rolling, are all great but this was the ticket
for me!

the running has been good...the best thing I could have done for my ITBS is strength work with my resistance bands.
I took a month completely off, foam rolled and stretched. My first day back I couldn't do more then 2 miles.
Once I started my strength exercises on my days off.....I quickly got back to 5-8mi runs with almost no tightness.
http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/files/2012/06/Trish-McAlaster-hip-strength.jpg
I'm doing the exercises from this link. Currently at 2 sets and I just increased the
resistance level. Rest, ice, meds, and rolling, are all great but this was the ticket
for me!
I don't use therabands however.....I have bodylastic resistance bands, a door anchor, and an ankle strap.

Yikes! I just read my comments from the first page. I suggested that it wasn't worth risking injury and jeopardizing your running routine. What a fool! A week or two later I made a sudden push towards higher mileage, and then ignored signs from my left foot that it was getting to be too much. I hope I never ignore a minor niggle again.

I've been away a while (family vacation) and got a giggle out of reading some of your posts over the last couple of weeks. I have the same.....somewhat self-destructive.....tendency when my running is going really well. That is, to start pushing myself, and finding new and interesting challenges. The problem with that is, I tend to increase distance and pace at the same time, or too quickly.....and it starts becoming about the latest challenge I just thought of (time, distance, pace, course, etc) and not just doing what makes sense for your body on that day.....and enjoying running. Where I often end up is sitting at home, having not run for a week, and bemoaning the fact that when I do start running again, I have to start off on short runs again. If only......

You remind me so much of me it's scary. And, just to be clear, that's not a complement.

Reactions: NickW
I don't use therabands however.....I have bodylastic resistance bands, a door anchor, and an ankle strap.
Thanks, will look into that tomorrow morning. Have you seen this site?
http://strengthrunning.com/
I stumbled upon it today. He's kind of like a better organized Steve Magness, without all the typos, pitched more for the recreational runner more than the trainer/coaching crowd. Good stuff on injury prevention.

Reactions: Lomad
I've been away a while (family vacation) and got a giggle out of reading some of your posts over the last couple of weeks.
Was wondering where you had gone to . . .
You remind me so much of me it's scary. And, just to be clear, that's not a compliment.
You should be my running sponsor, taking a page from AA. Every time I feel like upping the distance, I'll call you first.

Thanks, will look into that tomorrow morning. Have you seen this site?
http://strengthrunning.com/
I stumbled upon it today. He's kind of like a better organized Steve Magness, without all the typos, pitched more for the recreational runner more than the trainer/coaching crowd. Good stuff on injury prevention.
great minds must think alike! I use the ITBS/hip recovery and strengthening workout from this site. it definitely helps!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Was wondering where you had gone to . . .

You should be my running sponsor, taking a page from AA. Every time I feel like upping the distance, I'll call you first.

Sure, as long as you do the same for me. I've been on a great run since early spring, and I believe it's mostly because of how gradually I've upped my distances, and how I've approached each run. I've got a bit of catch-up to do since I didn't run much while on vacation, but I felt great in the first few runs since coming back.....so I think the break will end up being a good thing.

BTW, my ITBS was largely resolved by similar exercises BG refers to above.

Sure, as long as you do the same for me. I've been on a great run since early spring, and I believe it's mostly because of how gradually I've upped my distances, and how I've approached each run. I've got a bit of catch-up to do since I didn't run much while on vacation, but I felt great in the first few runs since coming back.....so I think the break will end up being a good thing.

BTW, my ITBS was largely resolved by similar exercises BG refers to above.
Just curious, what's your routine and how much do you build up per week or month?

When I started back in the spring (after a wierd ankle/foot thing) I pretty quickly got back to 3 x 5km runs. A few weeks later I added a 4th day. Then I slowly started added distance....first my weekend run up to 6km.....then one of my mid-week runs to 6km.....only changing one day each week, by no more than 1km. It seems really slow, but before I went on vacation I was up to 2 x 6 km, 1 x 8km, and 1 x 10km (weekend). There were a few weeks in there where I added no distance whatsoever. I'm starting back at 4 x 6km this week, and so far I feel great after 3 runs.

I run basically 3 different routes. One is a long down hill out, followed by a long up hill back. One is a very hilly road with almost no flat sections at all....you're either running up a steep hill, or down one. The other is a fairly flat route with only one down hill half way through, and one long climb at the very end. I'm not focusing at all on speed, I just run at a pace that feels comfortable for the distance I'm planning to do. The last time I ran the 10k I covered it in around 55min, and that was very comfortable. I didn't press it at all. I think the speed will come on it's own, and if not I'm absolutely fine with the pace I'm running at now. I think sometime in the near future......maybe the next 6 months or so...... I could run a half marathon in under 2 hours. I'd be more than content with that.

But perhaps most of all, it’s the ‘little adventure’ aspect of running I like best, and for that I need the longer, circuitous or out-and-back runs. Last week, on my failed 10-miler, I ran along a road where I set out on my first bicycle day-trip, in something like seventh grade, and got a whiff of that early restlessness and curiosity. I don't have any real urge to race, although I will probably attempt a marathon if I can get my mileage up to where I want it to be, but I do like the challenge of first, getting my runs up to the 90-minute range, and then, eventually, doing a 2-3 hour run every week, having a little adventure early Saturday or Sunday morning when everyone else is asleep. It would have to be fun, not arduous, so that's recreational, but I guess I would also be disappointed if I didn't eventually reach those goals too, so there's a performance aspect to it too, right?

+++++1

When I started back in the spring (after a wierd ankle/foot thing) I pretty quickly got back to 3 x 5km runs. A few weeks later I added a 4th day. Then I slowly started added distance....first my weekend run up to 6km.....then one of my mid-week runs to 6km.....only changing one day each week, by no more than 1km. It seems really slow, but before I went on vacation I was up to 2 x 6 km, 1 x 8km, and 1 x 10km (weekend). There were a few weeks in there where I added no distance whatsoever. I'm starting back at 4 x 6km this week, and so far I feel great after 3 runs.

I run basically 3 different routes. One is a long down hill out, followed by a long up hill back. One is a very hilly road with almost no flat sections at all....you're either running up a steep hill, or down one. The other is a fairly flat route with only one down hill half way through, and one long climb at the very end. I'm not focusing at all on speed, I just run at a pace that feels comfortable for the distance I'm planning to do. The last time I ran the 10k I covered it in around 55min, and that was very comfortable. I didn't press it at all. I think the speed will come on it's own, and if not I'm absolutely fine with the pace I'm running at now. I think sometime in the near future......maybe the next 6 months or so...... I could run a half marathon in under 2 hours. I'd be more than content with that.
Nice. Very methodical. I had been building up slowly like that too, albeit less systematically, but I think setting some kind of limit on weekly/monthly distance additions is a very good idea for abusive types like us. It all started three weeks ago. I ran two 10ks, Monday and Wednesday. No problem, then Friday's run was four miles of hill repeats. Also no problem. I should've just keep to something like that for 3-4 weeks before pushing beyond 6miles/10k, but I got a b*ner for 8-10 miles, which is the distance range of a few nice routes I had mapped out for some time. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Now my left foot is kind of painful again. I haven't felt that kind of aching since March or February. I don't know even know if ITBS was the real culprit, or just a side effect of pushing the mets too much again. I really hate not being able to 'just do it' like I could as a younger man. Aging sucks, but it's better than the alternative, right?

I'm double plussing this multi-plus one. So there

I admit to not reading the whole thread, so Scedastic's quoting is the first i saw this statement from Lee. It sums up my running philosophy as well. It should be a little (or big) adventure everytime I head out. I always vary my routes and loops to add something new.

I love the recall of the childhood sensation. I'd love to go home and do a run, but South Georgia is a far trip for such an endeavour...

Nice. Very methodical. I had been building up slowly like that too, albeit less systematically, but I think setting some kind of limit on weekly/monthly distance additions is a very good idea for abusive types like us. It all started three weeks ago. I ran two 10ks, Monday and Wednesday. No problem, then Friday's run was four miles of hill repeats. Also no problem. I should've just keep to something like that for 3-4 weeks before pushing beyond 6miles/10miles, but I got a b*ner for 8-10 miles, which is the distance range of a few nice routes I had mapped out for some time. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Now my left foot is kind of painful again. I haven't felt that kind of aching since March or February. I don't know even know if ITBS was the real culprit, or just a side effect of pushing the mets too much again. I really hate not being able to 'just do it' like I could as a younger man. Aging sucks, but it's better than the alternative, right?

Indeed. But to some degree we can still "just do it", just not repeatedly. Push a little, then let your body adjust.....then push a little more. You can push a lot, but then backoff to recover appropriately. We just have to be smarter than we were when we were younger.....which I'd like to think I am. Of course, I'm also more forgetful........now, what was it I was saying......

Reactions: NickW and DNEchris
Indeed. But to some degree we can still "just do it", just not repeatedly. Push a little, then let your body adjust.....then push a little more. You can push a lot, but then backoff to recover appropriately. We just have to be smarter than we were when we were younger.....which I'd like to think I am. Of course, I'm also more forgetful........now, what was it I was saying......
Unfortunately, I am not any smarter now than when I was younger, and when I say younger, I'm talking about as recently as my early to mid forties, when I could still pretty much do stuff out of the blue without having to worry about getting injured.

I thought I was smarter though, and it kills me that I was being such a good boy March through most of July, keeping everything in the 3-5 miles range, backing off when my left foot felt the least bit achy, but then blam, the exuberance took over at the end of July and ruined everything. Once I could run an hour without issue, I got a thirst for longer runs, when I should've just stuck to pushing the pace within an hour's run, as planned.

Now it seems I may have incurred another tiny stress fracture. My left foot feels like it did over the winter--mildly painful when going down stairs. The only cure is rest, so looking at another 2-3 weeks off. I'll row and focus more on the hips and 'core' in my strength training, just in case that had something to do with it too. I'm also going to cycle some of the longer routes I had planned, to keep the flame alive . . .

But I'm totally bummed. Once I could consistently do five miles at a decent pace I thought my troubles were over, the 'transition' finished, but I can see now it's got to be a gradual build-up the whole way, and I've got to back off at the first sign of trouble. I think I've finally accept that fact, so perhaps I am now a bit smarter than when I was younger, like three weeks ago!

Reactions: Sid
But I'm totally bummed.

I totally understand the bummedness, and have been there many times before. I'm sorry man, I know it totally blows to not run, and not know how long until you can. If I was closer I'd drop over with a dozen brews and commiserate appropriately. The bright side is, you're smarter, and won't make the same mistake again. A couple of weeks rolls by pretty quick.

I'll row and focus more on the hips and 'core' in my strength training, just in case that had something to do with it too.

Dude, did you just say 'core' ? Oh gees.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
I totally understand the bummedness, and have been there many times before. I'm sorry man, I know it totally blows to not run, and not know how long until you can. If I was closer I'd drop over with a dozen brews and commiserate appropriately. The bright side is, you're smarter, and won't make the same mistake again. A couple of weeks rolls by pretty quick.

Dude, did you just say 'core' ? Oh gees.
I'll have a nice Sierra Nevada Torpedo in a few hours in your honor. I really appreciate the support and encouragement. I do agree there's a bright side to this, so the bummedness is already dissipating. Basically, I know I've already got an hour's worth of joyful barefooting running guaranteed three times a week, once I'm back to where I was, and anything on top of that is gravy, so no need to rush.

Yah, and I know, I can't believe I'm talking 'core.' What I really meant is that I'm going to strengthen my hips and butt a bit more with stuff like the Mrtyl routine and whatnot . . .

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7