To Marathon or not to Marathon?

Hip and butt exercises are always good. So are balancing exercises. Can you walk ok on rough surfaces without aggravating your foot ? If so, do lots of gravel walks to keep your feet conditioned.
Yah, not too much gravel around here, except a bit on our driveway. I'm not too concerned about soles though, I'll keep walking around with my kids, and will start doing baby runs as soon as the mild ache diminishes. I walked about a half a mile yesterday evening pushing my son around on asphalt, no problem. Right now I mostly feel it descending the stairs, when I land right on the ball of the foot, so I don't think it's very serious. I'll just lay off the running but pretty much everything else is doable, including taking walks. If this drags on though, I may seek out more drastic measures to maintain my calluses, opps, er, I mean plantar development.

This article is what cured me of my ITBS years ago: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18359

I went to PT, which was a waste of time, stretching is a waste of time, as well as rolling the IT band. Do deep knee bends, and do the exercises from the link I posted, I hope it helps, it did for me.

Cheers!

Hope you posted this on the ITBS fellowship threat too.
Useful stuff.
I have found that a combination of strength work and stretching and rolling to be effective.
The rolling and stretching seems to help the symptoms so I can keep running while the real change and eventually prevention happens with the strength work.
I find that rolling is particularly painful/helpful just after my long(er) runs.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Hope you posted this on the ITBS fellowship threat too.
Useful stuff.
I have found that a combination of strength work and stretching and rolling to be effective.
The rolling and stretching seems to help the symptoms so I can keep running while the real change and eventually prevention happens with the strength work.
I find that rolling is particularly painful/helpful just after my long(er) runs.
Got the roller on Tuesday, the hemp anklet for spiritual protection, an IT band compression strap just in case it wasn't the foot, and a list of Coach Jay's warm-up, strength stuff along some other stuff from RW and here. And it's my back day for weights, and man, am I going to blast it, starting with some 300-pound deadlifts. Might try a baby run as early as Monday.

Reactions: NickW
And it's my back day for weights, and man, am I going to blast it, starting with some 300-pound deadlifts. Might try a baby run as early as Monday.
Just because you can't run yet don't kill yourself with weights. We'd miss all your academic remarks that confuse us laypersons. :D Good luck on Monday with that run and remember to take it very very very easy. No need in re-hurting yourself. (says the guy who pushes himself even when injured...)

Also, I wish I had your brain today Lee, I have an Anthropology final today. Ughhh. :D

Just because you can't run yet don't kill yourself with weights. We'd miss all your academic remarks that confuse us laypersons. :D Good luck on Monday with that run and remember to take it very very very easy. No need in re-hurting yourself. (says the guy who pushes himself even when injured...)

Also, I wish I had your brain today Lee, I have an Anthropology final today. Ughhh. :D
Just remember, it's all about culture. Sorry I couldn't be there for you. As it's the final, it's a little late for this, but don't hesitate to ask for help on questions/doubts/clarifications.
And don't worry about the weights, I've been doing them on and off for thirty years, with the only injury a midly pulled muscle in my shoulder blade from doing full dips. It's happened a couple of times, it's true, but both times have been in the early weeks of getting back to it. But you're right, it's always good to keep the macho pride in check. People die from it.

I actually find Anthropology very interesting, I think it's just my teacher who made this class suck. She is very disorganized and lazy which just leaves the whole class confused.

You know, I used to do heavy heavy weights and never hurt myself, but a few weeks ago I was doing some pullups and messed myself up. And I'm all anal with form thanks to my high Infantry standards that were ingrained into me (I guess I am a fatty so maybe my body weight is high weight!).

I actually find Anthropology very interesting, I think it's just my teacher who made this class suck. She is very disorganized and lazy which just leaves the whole class confused.
Sometimes very smart people have a hard time communicating their knowledge. Like Lee said, just remember everything is about culture, and culture is not static, its porous and constantly shifting. :)
Hopefully your professor is not one of those dates and names junkies. Sometimes I think some anthropologists should have been history majors....lol

And it's my back day for weights, and man, am I going to blast it, starting with some 300-pound deadlifts. Might try a baby run as early as Monday.

Well we will be looking for a thread on back injuries tomorrow or the next....:D J/K
If you are doing the dead lifts correctly you shouldn't hurt your back too seriously lol

Sometimes very smart people have a hard time communicating their knowledge.
I think she is very intelligent, but I think she is highly unorganized and lazy. I've never seen a teacher as lazy as her. As far as the way she interacts with people, think Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. Lol! She doesn't understand people I don't think, despite teaching anthropology...

She doesn't understand people I don't think, despite teaching anthropology...
That is often the irony about anthropology.....
Not to mention its colonial legacy and continued foundation in white, western privilege.
....oh anthropology.....what a paradox your existence is

The main job of a teacher is to motivate, make the topic interesting. Too bad she isn't putting in the time, but she may be an overworked adjunct. There's a squeeze on labor in academia these days, just like everywhere else.

Reactions: NickW and Zetti
You know, I used to do heavy heavy weights and never hurt myself, but a few weeks ago I was doing some pullups and messed myself up. And I'm all anal with form thanks to my high Infantry standards that were ingrained into me (I guess I am a fatty so maybe my body weight is high weight!).
And weights, yeah, I was lucky. My brother and his friends taught me a lot when I was just starting out, and I read through all their Weider books and mags. So I developed decent form early on, and have a decent understanding of the underlying principles.

I think she is very intelligent, but I think she is highly unorganized and lazy. I've never seen a teacher as lazy as her. As far as the way she interacts with people, think Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. Lol! She doesn't understand people I don't think, despite teaching anthropology...
There's a saying in academia that people study what they don't understand: economists don't know how to make money; psychologists are all neurotic; linguists communicate poorly; anthropologists tend to be misfits or outsiders; and so on. Case in point: my first year of grad school I went to an anthro student's house party and was one of three people, out of about 25, who brought beer. That party didn't last long. I wondered, if they can't figure out that norm, after 22 plus years of enculturation in American society, how well they'd do in some village picking up on the cultural norms there in just a year or two of fieldwork. That explains the contemporary dominance of theory over data I guess.

From what I can tell from my schools schedule she only teaches the one class here (although she may teach somewhere else that I just don't know about)... Also from a ratemyteacher thing, which covers all the schools nearby I believe, she is scored very bad and everyone says the same thing about her, very intelligent but very hands off, unorganized, and lazy.

That is often the irony about anthropology.....
Not to mention its colonial legacy and continued foundation in white, western privilege.
....oh anthropology.....what a paradox your existence is
Yah, there's been a lot of handwringing since the 80s. I can tell you though, that the elders in my field region's villages were damn glad someone was collecting their histories and documenting their dialect before their generation passed away.

There's a saying in academia that people study what they don't understand: economists don't know how to do business; psychologists are all neurotic; linguists communicate poorly; anthropologists tend to be misfits or outsiders; and so on. Case in point: my first year of grad school I went to a anthro student's house party and was one of three people, out of about 25, who brought beer. That party didn't last long. I wondered, if they can figure out that norm, after 22 plus years of enculturation in American society, how well they'd do in some village picking up on the cultural norms in just a year or two. That explains the contemporary dominance of theory over data I guess.

I think that anthropology can be/could be such a great area of study if subjectivity was embraced at a more fundamental level (see autoethnographies). Instead of pretending some BS objective approach to understanding "other" cultures with an "outsider perspective", researchers recognition and embrace of their intimate relationships with both the communities they are studying and themselves would provide such a rich perspective.....too bad that many who actually do this are either shunned or simply not read or published.

From what I can tell from my schools schedule she only teaches the one class here (although she may teach somewhere else that I just don't know about)... Also from a ratemyteacher thing, which covers all the schools nearby I believe, she is scored very bad and everyone says the same thing about her, very intelligent but very hands off, unorganized, and lazy.
Unfortunately there's no necessary correlation between being a good researcher and a good teacher, yet we're often hired for our research not teaching, even though students pay for teaching, not research. Nonetheless 17 of the 20 best universities in the world are located in the USA, so we must be doing something right.

Yah, there's been a lot of handwringing since the 80s. I can tell you though, that the elders in my field region's villages were damn glad someone was collecting their histories and documenting their dialect before their generation passed away.
And that is the truth.....recognizing also that your documentation molded by your perspective no matter how much you try to avoid it...if you did ANYTHING, your perspective is involved in even the way that the elders communicated with you.
So you are a linguist?? (sorry I'm a bit behind on meeting my BF brethren)

I think that anthropology can be/could be such a great area of study if subjectivity was embraced at a more fundamental level (see autoethnographies). Instead of pretending some BS objective approach to understanding "other" cultures with an "outsider perspective", researchers recognition and embrace of their intimate relationships with both the communities they are studying and themselves would provide such a rich perspective.....too bad that many who actually do this are either shunned or simply not read or published.
That's actually become pretty popular. Look under 'experimental ethnography' sometime, or 'postmodern anthropology' or something. And objectivity isn't completely impossible, just not obtainable in a pure form. Anthro's a field science, so we generalize over comparative data, and there are decent methods for making generalizations, it's just that few people have the time or brain to keep it all straight in the heads. Ideally you want to fuse the insider and the outsider's point of view into some kind of intelligible whole, but it takes a lot of technical, semiotic jargon to do so ;) .

I can guarantee Lee that I do not go to one of those 17... Lol! I'm not knocking academia either, just her. I do really enjoy anthropology though, but just on an interest level, not on an academic level, if you get that. It's something I occasionally like to read about but not something I really want to study in full time in class. I guess that's part of my having many interests and not one big interest.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090