The "other" place

I quit reading runner's world in the late 1970's.

Amby Burfoot wrote something, at the time, about upper body strength not being important to runners. I think he mentioned not being able to do two pull ups or two push ups or something like that. I decided then that I did not want to waste my time on losers like that.

More recently I read an article of his about barefoot running. I think all he did was substitute his disdain for upper body muscle to running barefoot. Mostly, all he said was he used to train barefoot some, but now he does not run barefoot, so nobody else should. I have read several other articles that were negative to barefooting which said just about the same.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I stopped going there because it became more of a minimilist shoe forum and have found this forum to be much friendlier, but I may have to just stop in to see what m.m.caw is all about :)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Yeah, I even checked in at PWI Classic the other day and only had one other person stop by.

Never been to that other site, but no reason to with this great forum here! I used to go a little forum crazy, a several years back was probably active on two dozen forums atleast. Lately its been more of a minimal thing, just 1 forum for each hobby or whatever... semi active on maybe a dozen but only daily active on 5-6 forums (and mainly in my down time at work lol). Just too busy now-a-days, and now that running is more enjoyable and I learned how to do it correctly, I need more time out on my feet!

Last I heard, M.M Caw was hauled off by the county and committed.

Reactions: barefoot ramzev
Was it immediately following that 3.1 mile marathon he ran?
What did his Mom have to say about that?

Hahahahahahaha!

I guess being committed means he can only plow Fields once a month?

Was it immediately following that 3.1 mile marathon he ran?
What did his Mom have to say about that?

3.1 mile marathon? That reminds me of the "Four-mile marathon" that the kid ran at the end of "Meatballs"

I think I have an account over there (I think I posted some general training questions back when I was drinking the shoe-flavored Kool Aid, which tasted a lot like rubber and, unfortunately, portapotty floor) - I need to see what the MMCaw chap had going on...

Greetings, all! I hope you don't mind me dropping by, but I wanted to make a catty comment about the RW Running Festival 10K I ran yesterday.

Most aspects of the race were fine, but as I finished and the people along the shoot were cheering "Go Barefoot Guy" the race finish announcer, some big shot of the RW staff pantheon, I believe, and standing right at the head of the shute, didn't have anything to say about me, BF or otherwise, despite the fact I was in a gap of 10 seconds either way.

Meow! and thank you!

OK, I visited "the other place" (wow - sounds nasty when I say it like that) and I'm not missing much. Saw some of the posts from the M.M.Caw fellow - seems that he's either The Waterboy, a troll, or crazy as a sh!thouse rat (or a combination of the three). Regardless, glad I'm here and not there.

OK, I visited "the other place" (wow - sounds nasty when I say it like that) and I'm not missing much. Saw some of the posts from the M.M.Caw fellow - seems that he's either The Waterboy, a troll, or crazy as a sh!thouse rat (or a combination of the three). Regardless, glad I'm here and not there.

That joint's search feature actualy worked for you?

Greetings, all! I hope you don't mind me dropping by, but I wanted to make a catty comment about the RW Running Festival 10K I ran yesterday.

Most aspects of the race were fine, but as I finished and the people along the shoot were cheering "Go Barefoot Guy" the race finish announcer, some big shot of the RW staff pantheon, I believe, and standing right at the head of the shute, didn't have anything to say about me, BF or otherwise, despite the fact I was in a gap of 10 seconds either way.

Meow! and thank you!
JTree:

Really, a "shoot"! I haven't seen one of those for awhile. Were they passing out numbers too?

Taking pot shots at my inconsistant use of homonyms, now are you? I get at least half credit for getting it right once in the post.
Oh... shute. Still, I ain't seen one fer awhile.
Really, I don't get that attitude or disdain for/against barefoot runners. I think it is a bit of jealousy from people in positions as you mention or as someone writing a running article, because they consider themselves the running elite. Therefore they are the all knowing experts and can't stand seeing something that they themselves have not done. I think they are afraid to acknowledge that there may be a better way.

What do you think?

I'm not one to comment much. I've had nothing to do with RW before this most recent race, and don't think I'll interact with them again until next year's run. I had the whole first team of RW there, Bart Yasso, Amby Burdfoot, and all the editors. I don't worry too much about them, really. They probably don't worry at all about me, which is fine, too. They're a big commercial deal in which I don't choose to partake.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts