The "other" place

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
I just made my first two posts in that other forum. Kind of a recruiting mission. It was rumored that there was another barefoot runner in the race I just did. Also, my wife talked to a guy in Vibrams that normally runs barefoot that just moved into the area and maybe I can make contact and get him over here. Trying to get more activity in my area.

Don't worry TJ, the BRS is my home and I don't plan to spend much time over there.

You missed the few days where there was screaming background wallpaper from a Newton ad. It was eye-blinding. I post in the beginner's forum (more than here, actually) and it was migraine-inducing.

It's commercial, has a vested interest in not promoting skin to the ground barefoot, has plenty of shod and minimally shod posters that are anti-barefoot, and has a bunch of people that deliberately didn't follow the founder of that place's barefoot forum to come over here when we went public because they already had personal problems with a member or two that were here.
The forum there is a traditional running site that added a barefoot forum that is predominantly minimalist now, with some members just waiting to pounce on barefooters, while the BRS is a barefoot forum that is very friendly towards minimal shoe enthusiasts.
We are more inclusive, no fights here.
As a lifestyle barefooter I push limits and challenge "authority" (and I do mean the quotes literally), and although that's not for everyone I get no forum or personal flack here. Over there I was always being told off by someone.
There were some barefoot runners over there that were for the banning of barefoot customers from places of business and rather than debate what I had to say in that regard acted like bare feet were for SOME running only and nothing else.
I can't recall ANYONE being condemned here for running, going, or living barefoot.

It's commercial, has a vested interest in not promoting skin to the ground barefoot, has plenty of shod and minimally shod posters that are anti-barefoot, and has a bunch of people that deliberately didn't follow the founder of that place's barefoot forum to come over here when we went public because they already had personal problems with a member or two that were here.
The forum there is a traditional running site that added a barefoot forum that is predominantly minimalist now, with some members just waiting to pounce on barefooters, while the BRS is a barefoot forum that is very friendly towards minimal shoe enthusiasts.
We are more inclusive, no fights here.
As a lifestyle barefooter I push limits and challenge "authority" (and I do mean the quotes literally), and although that's not for everyone I get no forum or personal flack here. Over there I was always being told off by someone.
There were some barefoot runners over there that were for the banning of barefoot customers from places of business and rather than debate what I had to say in that regard acted like bare feet were for SOME running only and nothing else.
I can't recall ANYONE being condemned here for running, going, or living barefoot.
Wow, LB, I had no idea about that other place being like that. I never liked that other place because it was confusing as heck for me to try to get around where this site is very easy to navigate (mostly). Besides, here for some reason everyone acts like family and friends, which is very attractive to me.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Thanks for the fine summary LB. You put into words a few things I had sensed, and then added a whole lot more. I haven't been there enough to really develop an opinion or generalization of my own, but the vibe never seemed right. In fact, this is the only forum of any kind I tune into. Like Nick says, it feels like family and friends.

In fact, this is the only forum of any kind I tune into. Like Nick says, it feels like family and friends.

The other place used to be like this too. We all were a big happy family at one point.
But then trolls starting to visit the BF forum and it just created tons of tension.
Luckily, TJ got us this new place to hang out.
Thanks TJ.

Well...and that other place promotes Skechers Toning Shoes. Nuff said.

So when I checked in over there to find the PWI link posted above I was SHOCKED to see that I had posted as recently as April 2012. I could have SWORN I had'nt been there in well over a year and a half!
I checked that spring thread and sure enough, yeah, I remember it now, and it happens to be a good example of just what we were talking about. I had taken probably almost a year off before going back specificaly to post in that thread after becoming aware of it right here in the BRS.
http://www.runnersworld.com/communi...efoot-running/im-being-blamed-daughter-did/.0

Ehhh, I avoid the barefoot forum over there nowadays; It's just too hostile in general. I poke around some of the other forums a bit, though, just for entertainment value. I post in the trail running and shoe forums from time to time, but mostly lurk. The vibe here is better in general, but I feel bad for shoe talk sometimes so I go there for that...

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I think mostly you go where your online friends are. The folks here are always nice and welcoming, but I haven't developed "connections" with you in the same way that I have with some folks on the Beginner's Forum. That's likely my own fault, I've been posting in the Penguins thread on the BegF (to differentiate from the BF) for years, and I'm the captain of a 2012 in 2012 miles game team this year, so basically I am just on there more, so I know people better. I'm rarely on the BF over there, I guess because the traffic is sort of slow and it's not particularly chatty. I'm trying to hang out more here because I like you folks too, and obviously I can't connect with people if I'm not around. But it's a work in progress.
And I maintain that if you don't know Scottydog from the BegF, you are truly missing out.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I left over there because M.M.Caw was a donkeyhole.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I left over there because M.M.Caw was a donkeyhole.

OMG, I remember that freak. He was really, really disturbed, big times disturbed-up on the coconut.

I quit posting there mainly because I hate, HATE, DESPISE (did I mention hate? :p ) that forum software they're using. I've been on tons and tons of forums over the past 15 years and that one is definitely one of the worst in terms of usage and UI friendliness.

LOVE this forum's software BTW. :D

lol I just made a post over there for the first time in months. Dude was asking about wearing VFF's in public, I was like dude, just go BF! :D

I remember that thread, Board. It was very upsetting. People were very rude to each other, and for no reason. I felt sorry for the dad.