Sick???

No real need to belabor the obvious, but do pay special attention to your internal state. If you feel OK and have a pleasant motion going, run with it. If you feel a need to force yourself, please take care! We want you back among the happy, healthy running crew sooner, without anything like RP's 3 month enforced layoff.

I do wonder how hard you'd have to run to blow a tendon, even with contributory drug effects. Eeeyah!

waah-waah-waah bunch of sissy babies here. You're gonna get hot running anyway, suck it up and go run. If you can't breath, consider it training for the nulcear apocalipse.

Welp, sorry to hear that, but then again, glad you were able to sort that out before some nasty damage occurred. FWIW, you have my sympathies: I've been more or less down for the past 3 mos and am just starting to get back into it again...
That's a long time to be out. Glad you are back at it.

Get well soon Jen. I guess there was no offers of trading with you.

Reactions: RunningPirate
No real need to belabor the obvious, but do pay special attention to your internal state. If you feel OK and have a pleasant motion going, run with it. If you feel a need to force yourself, please take care! We want you back among the happy, healthy running crew sooner, without anything like RP's 3 month enforced layoff.

I do wonder how hard you'd have to run to blow a tendon, even with contributory drug effects. Eeeyah!

Actually, Dr. Stoxen happened to mention on my FB page that he had "heard" that you do not have to be doing anything for this to occur. So it must weaken your tendons and make them like balloons ready to POP at any second and cause you to fall to the ground and die a slow and painful death. Not that I'm paranoid.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't always die a slow, painful death; but when I do, I'm laying barefoot on the side of the raod.

Reactions: NickW and jldeleon
Man, three months? That sucks. Good to hear you're getting better. I hope this means you'll be posting more regularly with your highjinks and cookie humor.

Thank you, My Good Man! To quote Robert Earl Keen "It feels so good, feelin' good again"...

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
So I did go back to the doctor and it turns out I have mononucleosis!!! Which means an enlarged spleen! Which means no trail running for the next 4-8 weeks, cuz if I fell on it, "POP"!!! Which means no work for weeks! Which means I get to live on here! Which means I get to wreak incredible amounts of pscyhological havoc on poor innocent victims everywhere! Did I mention I've had a high fever for awhile now?

Yes, Nick, I did just post this under another thread. :D

So I did go back to the doctor and it turns out I have mononucleosis!!! Which means an enlarged spleen! Which means no trail running for the next 4-8 weeks, cuz if I fell on it, "POP"!!! Which means no work for weeks! Which means I get to live on here! Which means I get to wreak incredible amounts of pscyhological havoc on poor innocent victims everywhere! Did I mention I've had a high fever for awhile now?

Yes, Nick, I did just post this under another thread. :D
I was just thinking deja vu....

Also, your spewing psychosis all over the board is not going to be any big change so no big deal there...
No comment, just a quote:

"The spleen is the Yin acting like the store manager ensuring that body maintains sufficient necessary resources. The spleen supplies the nourishment we need to sustain our bodies. The primary function of the spleen is to convert our food in to Ki and to transmit nutrients to the body's vital organs.

A healthy functioning spleen ensures a good memory and an ability to reason clearly. A weak or damaged spleen can manifest itself by muddled thinking and lack of clarity of thought. Physically a weakened spleen can mean poor digestion, inordinate menstrual bleeding, and fluid retention."

Seriously though, get well soon! I had this in college. It takes a while to get back on your feet, so go easy and rest, rest, rest.

No comment, just a quote:

"The spleen is the Yin acting like the store manager ensuring that body maintains sufficient necessary resources. The spleen supplies the nourishment we need to sustain our bodies. The primary function of the spleen is to convert our food in to Ki and to transmit nutrients to the body's vital organs.

A healthy functioning spleen ensures a good memory and an ability to reason clearly. A weak or damaged spleen can manifest itself by muddled thinking and lack of clarity of thought. Physically a weakened spleen can mean poor digestion, inordinate menstrual bleeding, and fluid retention."

Seriously though, get well soon! I had this in college. It takes a while to get back on your feet, so go easy and rest, rest, rest.

See, I thought the spleen was one of those spare parts that we needed miiiilllions and miiilllions of years ago, but we somehow evolved out of needing it. One of those things that we don't use, but will screw us up when it goes bad, sort of like the appendix.

I had my appendix taken out on Thanksgiving Day, 1990 - the same year I graduated high school. Between the surgery and graduation, I walked away with a tidy haul of cash and prizes...I made a list of body parts I didn't need thinking I could avoid having a real job for a while...

Silliness aside, take care of your self and do what the Dr says, Jen. Also, as this wears on (as long-term illness recovery tends to do), remember that you will get better. I was starting to lose focus of that concept during my recent foray and started worrying that I was in "the new normal" - so, don't do that, because that's no good...

Reactions: jldeleon
Hey Jen, where does a grownup person get Mono these days? Is it classed as one of those highly contagious bugs transmitted by air or physical contact? I guess I should just Wiki it.

Feel better soon!

...I just did the Wiki search and feel a bit better informed. The causitive agent, the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) sounds really sneaky. Anybody, in fact most people, will have it in their systems by the time they're adults and be asymptomatic. EBV can switch into "active" mode from time to time and continue to be asymptomatic even as it is infectious. Oh, joy!

The fact that you weren't already exposed and therefore immune, is another reflection of the how sheltered you've been in your early life and how young at heart you really are, I guess.

Jen, do you actually consider trail running at your speeds a contact sport analog? Have you a history of taking hard falls? I'm just thinking that you might not have that much chance of spleen damage after you give yourself a few weeks of recovery and if you approach it very conservatively.

Jen, do you actually consider trail running at your speeds a contact sport analog? Have you a history of taking hard falls? I'm just thinking that you might not have that much chance of spleen damage after you give yourself a few weeks of recovery and if you approach it very conservatively.
JT, Jen runs on Wildwood Trail which is a great not technical at all(for the most part) trail. This means it is a lot of dirt with some roots and some scattered rocks here and there with lots of rolling hills. Running it during our fall, winter, or spring it is a soupey slippery mess, very easy to eat it when going downhill when it is in these conditions. I myself have yet to fall on that trail, but I've only run it a hand full of times in these conditions (I have cut my feet from sliding on the mud and sliding over some rocks). I did watch Mike eat eat pretty hard once when he tried to turn a corner at the bottom of a slight hill in front of me.

Thanks for the clarification, Nick.

If Jen starts feeling like she's pining for trail running, we'll all chip in and run some in her honor. That might help.

Awwww JT, what a nice sentiment!

I was an only child on a farm raised by a stay-at-home mom so my exposure to other kids was not typical, so it does not really surprise me that I'm almost 40 years old and getting mono for the first time. I also did not get chickenpox until I was 16! Mono is spread by saliva -commonly called the "kissing disease" when you are a kid because everyone knows who you have been kissing by who gets mono next. Lol. So just wait to see who, from the Oregon chapter, gets it next...BWWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! :) It's also spread through sneezing and coughing and sharing eating utensils, etc. It's actually only moderately contagious as long as you are not sticking your tongue down people's throats. However, it's not how contagious it is that's as disturbing as the duration of the illness. Most people can not afford to be gone from work for 6 weeks at a time, or not able to care for their families, or miss college for that amount of time without serious ramifications. Stage 4 is the longest stage, and it is marked by lack of energy. You NEVER have energy, it's just a choice of low energy, extra-low energy, super-low energy, and zero energy. I spend most of my day between extra-low and super-low right now. What energy I do have has to go toward eating, drinking, and exercising so my body doesn't curl up in a fit of stiffness, tension, and pain from all this inactivity.

There's NO way I'd take a chance on the trails. I have only fallen once, but once is all it takes, and you only have one spleen, and it can be deadly if it ruptures. I'm not even supposed to lift heavy objects because of my spleen.

Reactions: happysongbird
I'm note even sure what a spleen does or what one looks like. I think I'll trust your enthusiastic sense of protectiveness toward yours. It sounds like a good tendency.

I'll start doing "Jen sets" of trail runs for you and send you the vibes. Anybody else?

Reactions: jldeleon

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7