jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
I have had the following fever cycle:
102 Wednesday night
101 Thursday
100 Friday

Assuming tomorrow will be a 99 degree fever - should I run???

There must be something about being so physically inactive that causes me to pine away even more for running. We have our first rain of the season here and I am DYING to get out on the trails! And the slippery stuff should be all washed away by tomorrow if it keeps raining tonight. I have friends who run while they are sick. And now...I might become one of "them."

So, who here has/would run with a 99 degree fever? Why? Why not? And let's not point out the obvious - that my body is fighting something and needs energy to fight it. I want to hear the irrational!

For me, colds and general pukieness I'll run. Fevers knock me on my butt and I won't run. Just me, I'm male and I know what you women think of us males when we get sick... :D

Reactions: jldeleon
I guess I've turned into a man - since I've ran with mostly guys for so long. :)

I have had the following fever cycle:
102 Wednesday night
101 Thursday
100 Friday

So, who here has/would run with a 99 degree fever? Why? Why not? And let's not point out the obvious - that my body is fighting something and needs energy to fight it. I want to hear the irrational!

You want the irrational, well, here you are:

As everyone knows, fighting a fever means that your body is attempting to make a stew in your intestinal tract. This stew requires additional protein, and your body looks first to "spare protein," in places like your hair follicles. Your hair is already under a great deal of stress when you are running a fever. If you run at that time, you are certain to have a really bad hair day and any pictures taken of you at that time will certainly make you feel very badly about yourself, thus increasing the chance that your fever will rise even more.;)

If it were me, I'd hang out on the sofa one more day and re-watch my "Deadwood" dvds. Just sayin.'

Reactions: jldeleon and NickW
Jenn... you too? Sorry to hear, hope your feeling better soon. I was actually going to post the same. Thursday I started feeling sick, woke up with a sore throat. I was out picking up some stuff in town, and by lunch time when I got back home I had a pounding headache, hot and cold chills, felt sore all over and tired. I pretty much rested the rest of the day. Never checked my temp but I'm sure I had some kind of fever going on with the hot and cold flashes. Friday when I got up I still felt bad, but as the day went on I felt better. By midday my temp seem to have normalized though I still dressed a little warmer than usual. Today I feel almost back to normal (still a lingering sore throat though) and want to run either today or tomorrow but dont want to cause more stress to a recovering body.

I was going to post up a thread asking about the benefits vs. potential harm from running while recovering from sickness but looks like you beat me to it. I know from reading some of maffetones book that he would probably be against it (even taking what is it, 5 beats off your heart rate max for a whole year after being sick?), just wondering what other thoughts are. I'd give myself a few extra days but I happen to be leaving for a work conference in Kansas City tomorrow and wont be back until next friday. Wanted to get at least one good run in on the weekend in case I dont get a chance to all week. Plus I am home alone so I am not inconveniencing the family running this weekend. I'm just indecisive on what to do.

If it was just a typical cold or congestion sometimes running helps clear my head. But with the fever and sore throat I imagine some more stressful stuff going on in my system, but IDK.

Get better soon, Jen! I am still dealing with a little bit of the head stuff, but the worst of it lasted a week.

I wound up giving myself pneumonia a couple of years ago training for a Feb. 1/2 marathon. Tried to continue my training even though I had a hell of a cold. Laid up for 2 weeks and never did get my 1/2 that Feb. Get close to being well before resuming slowly. Get better soon. Go out with hubby for his bf runs, assuming that he starting slowly. That should get you ready to get back at the level where you were in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: happysongbird
Great. Turns out it is most likely from a kidney infection. Does anyone want to trade being a woman with me for, um, I don't know...the rest of this life??? I've missed two days of work now. But they have me on the "right" antibiotics now...so hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have enough energy to drag myself to work. It didn't happen today cuz my fever was over 102 this a.m. Monday, Monday, Monday, yeah, Monday I should be able to run.

Great. Turns out it is most likely from a kidney infection. Does anyone want to trade being a woman with me for, um, I don't know...the rest of this life??? I've missed two days of work now. But they have me on the "right" antibiotics now...so hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have enough energy to drag myself to work. It didn't happen today cuz my fever was over 102 this a.m. Monday, Monday, Monday, yeah, Monday I should be able to run.

Make sure the antibiotics are not the ones that can potentially lead to tendon rupture...with this thing I've been fighting, the Dr. prescribed something and told me not to run for a bit, lest I rip something out. I finally went on my first run today after being off for about 3 weeks.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thanks for the reminder, because I AM on one of the ones that can lead to tendon rupture. I guess that is the deal breaker as to whether I was going to run my 10k this weekend. People have gotten SO many free entries from me this year.

Thanks for the reminder, because I AM on one of the ones that can lead to tendon rupture. I guess that is the deal breaker as to whether I was going to run my 10k this weekend. People have gotten SO many free entries from me this year.

But also check w/your Dr about that....of the three rounds of meds I had, only one could lead to tendon issues; the others, he was fine with...

I just looked it up, and yes, it's one of the antibiotics that can do that. It does list it as a "rare" side-effect. But that is not one I wish to take a chance with.

I just looked it up, and yes, it's one of the antibiotics that can do that. It does list it as a "rare" side-effect. But that is not one I wish to take a chance with.

Welp, sorry to hear that, but then again, glad you were able to sort that out before some nasty damage occurred. FWIW, you have my sympathies: I've been more or less down for the past 3 mos and am just starting to get back into it again...

Welp, sorry to hear that, but then again, glad you were able to sort that out before some nasty damage occurred. FWIW, you have my sympathies: I've been more or less down for the past 3 mos and am just starting to get back into it again...
Man, three months? That sucks. Good to hear you're getting better. I hope this means you'll be posting more regularly with your highjinks and cookie humor.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7