Running in Kilts

Ok...just thinking.....I

Ok...just thinking.....I can't wait to use this line:

"What do you wear under your kilt?"

Me: "The same thing I have on my feet."

I was trying to find my

I was trying to find my family tartan and found The Scottish Register of Tartans online. I searched one of my family's surnames and two different tartans registered to the Hash House Harriers popped up. The registry is at http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/

I'm thinking a BRS tartan is in order. I mean, the Hash House Harriers have two!

@TJ - That'd be Tracey.  She

@TJ - That'd be Tracey. She is one of the organizers for the running Meetup.com group I meet with and I run with her 2 or 3 times a week. I texted her to confirm your suspicions.

Edit - confirmed that she ran the Memorial Day 5k this year and bought the vest.

Shacky, are you saying she

Shacky, are you saying she came to Peachtree City, Georgia, on July 29 and ran the All American 5K, and there she bought our vest from last year's Classic? They did have some leftovers for sale there.

If so, I wonder what brought her all the way over here, surely not just a little 5K. Well it was the inaugural and had over 1,000 participants. Not bad for a first time race.

May I just inject a touch of

May I just inject a touch of history here?

The kilt of which you speak has little "tradition" in Scottish culture. Indeed the "kilt", as in the skirt worn by so many Scotsmen at weddings etc, was invented (designed?) by an Englishman called Thomas Rawlinson in the late 18th century (i.e. yesterday in our time scale!).......yes, that's right....an ENGLISHMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect it might have been done as a joke...

The traditional highland dress was an all over body cover, I think more correctly refered to as "Plaid"

A smirking Englishman quickly grabs his coat and moves rapidly towards the exit...............

LOL....yes, you are

LOL....yes, you are technically right....the belted plaid is traditional highland fare, made from two pieces of wool plaid 30in wide by up to 9 feet long, sewn together to make one "blanket, about 5x9 feet long--depending on the mesurements of the man...it was a highly versitile and practical garment, it was clothing, sleeping bag,tent, love-nest, gilly-suit, and carry-all....but it was outlawed...then when "accepted" again, the "shortened" tailored plaid, or kilt, became fashionable :), and MUCH easier to assemble :)....it takes an Englishman to dumb down a skirt for the rest of the world :-D.

That being said, the modern kilt, in my limited experience, is by far the most comfortable thing I've worn in a long time :-D

@TJ -  I'm pretty sure that's

@TJ - I'm pretty sure that's the case. I do know she has a boyfriend over there somewhere and that she had flown over there to run with him on his first 5k. It was probably Peachtree.

Cool, Shacky.  Say Hi for

Cool, Shacky. Say Hi for me.

Here's a picture of a Scotsman who has been residing in the US for the past 20 or so years. (I think he said.) He's in my running club. This picture was taken this past Christmas at our club's party. This is the all over plaid I think Lap was talking about, not that he's wearing plaid all over. It's a very handsome outfit. Notice his shoes. Very fancy running shoes that match his outfit really well. These pictures don't do it justice; you can't see all the fine details and ornamentation.

Took the kilt on run #2

Took the kilt on run #2 today. Was supposed to be a 22 miler that takes place on part of the Lost Boys 50 Miler. I called it quits at 6 and headed back to the car for 12 on the day. Bruttaly hot out there (110 degrees), felt dizzy and naseus a few times and had to sit down a few times.

Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2048901&id=1124632342&l=e02874765a

The kilt was awesome though.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Nate, sweat

Barefoot TJ said:
Nate, sweat doesn't act like a lube when you are running. If you are a salty sweater, it can get even worse. The sweat actually irritates the skin when it is rubbed.

I know I'm a little slow on the uptake here, but TJ is right on this one. I usually run without a shirt in warm weather, and it's not uncommon on particularly long, sweaty runs for me to get a bit raw where my (bulging) triceps rub on my (bulging) lats. It's not unbearable, but it's not terribly fun either.

so, I guess I'll have to

so, I guess I'll have to lube up then ;-)....sounds like fun to me!!

Just don't get carried away

Just don't get carried away when applying the lube or you might rub it off....

0:)

...okay, I'll behave now...

Running Skirts is hosting a

Running Skirts is hosting a morning run at the Outdoor Retailer next week... I'm tempted to give their skirts a try ;-) If I'm man enough to do a pink running skirt, I'll be able to handle running in a kilt.

Greginator USAF wrote: Just

Greginator USAF said:
Just don't get carried away when applying the lube or you might rub it off....

0:)

...okay, I'll behave now...

lmao, so how much rubbing are we talking about exactly Greg? Is there a technique to the rub for maximum performance?

LMAO...."rubbing off..."

LMAO...."rubbing off..." heheheheheeee....in my finest Beevis impression....

Sorry, BZ, I already

Sorry, BZ, I already promised I would behave. Any wagers how long that will last?

If it's my chafing area, I

If it's my chafing area, I will apply as much anti-chafing material as I want, and I will apply it for as long as I want, as fast as I want. And that's all I have to say about that. ;-)

inbetweenmytoes

inbetweenmytoes said:
Running Skirts is hosting a morning run at the Outdoor Retailer next week... I'm tempted to give their skirts a try ;-) If I'm man enough to do a pink running skirt, I'll be able to handle running in a kilt.
Probably see you there. Will you, otherwise ,be bare?
No shirt, no footwear?

count down is on Greg, have a

count down is on Greg, have a feeling you don't have a behaving bone in ya :p

We'll need pix guys of the pink skirts from Running Skirts, are these skorts? Or skirt skirts? How do you manage to NOT have back of skirt floofage, thus exposing the going ons in the backside?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts