Running in Kilts

Kilts need nothing to make

Kilts need nothing to make them more manly, a kilt, by definition is the epitome of masculinity!! Cargo pockets, however, are just cool.

cargo pockets would make them

cargo pockets would make them a bit more long run friendly.

With the kilt I currently own, I am not sure what to do come ultra day except for carry my backpack, which I am not looking forward to.

I love the cargo pockets in

I love the cargo pockets in my utilikilt. I stuff water bottles, five fingers, wallet, keys, booze in them so I can be hands free. They are only attached along the top though so they tend to flap like bird wings while I run.

I am another very proud

I am another very proud owner of a Utilikilt. I can fit a six of beer in it. I am new to the barefoot running sport, however, its a pleasure to run 5K while just wearing a kilt. You just look like you mean business.

Great comments. I'll pass

Great comments. I'll pass them along to the designer. Christy, of Running Skirts, did worry about filled cargo pockets bouncing uncomfortably while running. I also spoke with a gentleman that wears the survivor utilikilt during ultra-marathons, and he has to take his cargo pockets off for racing. He also mentioned that he would love a kilt in a synthetic because the utilikilts are fairly heavy. I thought 'faux' pockets because I really like the tougher look of the utilikilts with their cargo pockets, but because of the 'bounce-against-your-leg' issue, I'm not sure an actual pocket would work... Perhaps a detachable option like utilikilt? Maybe just a flap for putting id info underneath for when they find me maimed or dead on the trail some place.

What would you like to see in a RUNNING kilt (not an everyday-er... something specific to running particularly long distances)?

Inbetween....the Sport Kilt

Inbetween....the Sport Kilt Hiker version (one I posted at the beginning of the thread) is really light, and comfy...made of micro-fiber...It's also the one Jason just used for the Burning River Ultra. I love it....I've just not been able to run in it yet.

Nate, when you get a chance

Nate, when you get a chance to run in it, I'd appreciate feedback on any changes you would make or features you would add or take away. Running Skirts will be taking a look at this thread for ideas for their kilt, so this is our chance to let them know what we want.

Jason, what did you like

Jason, what did you like about your kilt for your 100 miler? What didn't you like?

All I know is 11 pages of

All I know is 11 pages of posts on men's skirts is a very important, hot topic. ;-)

Kilts are popular everywhere

Kilts are popular everywhere

00017341.jpg

Barefoot TJ - Who 'da

Barefoot TJ - Who 'da thunk?

BFWendyBird - Great looking skirts... the Superman symbol helps make it look tougher ;-)

Fetish4running - Popular with some people... after a 'skirt' run last week, I found a freedom that I could enjoy again but in a more manly way. Kilts may be the answer.

Kilts are VERY popular among

Kilts are VERY popular among the five of us that are using them. :)

I loved the Sport Kilt.

Pros:
  • fabric wicked moisture very well
  • breezy design kept everything cool
  • Chafing was not an issue as I experienced in my initial review. I suspect this had to do with sweat rate (was heat training for initial review)
  • pleats made running free of restrictions
  • Damn cool styling; good conversation starter
Cons:
  • Lack of pockets was a drag... I had to carry everything in the water bottle sleeves
  • not used to the whole modesty thing
  • length slightly too long, but I wear it lower on my hips than a traditional kilt
I'm working with Sport Kilt now to make a few alterations to my current model. They were very interested in optimizing it to running (versus hiking).

I went for my first non-kilt run in about three weeks today (I've been tapering, racing, or recovering all three weeks) in compression shorts and my normal running shorts. It blew. I don't think I can race in shorts now. The kilt was that good.

Great to hear your opinion on

Great to hear your opinion on your kilt experience... if Sport Kilt is looking for anyone else for testing, you have my contact info, Jason ;-)

Jason, how about crossing the

Jason, how about crossing the Survival Utilikilt with the Hiking Sport Kilt? As in, slap some pockets on it and maybe, just maybe steal the closure system (for modesty) while still keeping it relatively light.

Jason, would be interested in

Jason, would be interested in hearing how the mods to the kilt goes.

I was thinking of getting
peace-2pocket-hip_gray.jpg

perhaps
new_bags_earthy_002.jpg

so I can leave my Nathan sack at home.

Thanks for the link,

Thanks for the link, LavaRunner. The guy has some great info... It's too bad that he no longer seems to be on FaceBook. His pictures would add a lot to his description of his Sport Kilts.

I've been back to running

I've been back to running now, and have used my sport kilt the last two days....really really happy with it....and I wear it up higher, the way kilts are made to be worn...initial concerns about having something "on my waist" are not an issue at all and I find that it sitting there is very comfortable, gives me the length I want, and keeps things pretty closed as the flat panel can hang flat. I bought the "sport" sporran, and ran with it yesterday, very comfortable and not much bounce...today I did not use it, and run was just as fine. For longer runs I'll use it to keep vittles in. Still not sure about the whole hydration packing yet, don't know what I want to use. I may never wear pants again...except I have to buy more, since I just have the one right now :-D.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS