People's reactions when you run

Barefoot Golf, never thought of that, doh. I use my Vibrams on the course, maybe I will have to take them off next time I am out.

Reactions: Lomad and Zetti
Running up a busy canyon road, I see a car pull into a turnout up ahead. A lady at least 7 months pregnant gets out of the passenger side, dodges traffic to traverse the road. As I approach she says "Are you doing that on purpose or do you need help?" After a couple minute chat about why I am running barefoot, I thank her for her concern and wish her safety crossing back over the highway. I continue my run and give the husband, who was slightly slouched down in the driver's seat embarrassed, a friendly wave.

WOW. Craziest reaction yet---seriously??!!!! Crossing traffic to ask?!
Doesn't she know that in the horror movies, people only run half barefoot after losing a high heel running from the killer? And they're usually blond and bloody and it's usually the middle of the night close to a swamp............and I assume you didn't have that look?

Reactions: Bare Lee
WOW. Craziest reaction yet---seriously??!!!! Crossing traffic to ask?!
Doesn't she know that in the horror movies, people only run half barefoot after losing a high heel running from the killer? And they're usually blond and bloody and it's usually the middle of the night close to a swamp............and I assume you didn't have that look?
I think I need to pick up the pace a little. Maybe she thought I was a zombie because I was moving so slow. Or someone jumped me and stole my shoes. Who knows? Friendly, concerned people, love em.

I had an older woman watch as I approached and she wore a look of concern. I expected her to advise me to put shoes on, instead she said "now young man, you should really be running on the grass...it is much better for your joints that way"......gotta love the good intentions!!...and to a certain extent she was right :)

Perfect!

I just wish you wouldn't use YouTube. It's like a hall of mirrors for me and I always get stuck going from video to video until my saliva shorts out my keyboard.
A bib would solve that problem - but would that be for the first, or second, childhood? ;)

Last run, I passed, facing, a couple who looked kind of like well-dressed old hippies, so I thought they'd be more friendly. But when I ventured a smile, I got the impression the lady was a little put off by my exposure of my belly button ring (I don't handle heat well.... ) and glanced away quickly in disapproval. Then, right after I went by she yelled VERY loudly, "Hey! You're barefoot!" to which I raised my arms "Rocky style" and she added "You GO girl!"

I had the weirdest experience this morning. It was just fleeting - a car was turning into the street in front of me and the driver saw me, did a double take and then and angry scowl spread across his face before he turned. It was almost like I had violated some precept of his or something and angered him.

Of course I have no idea what was really going on in his head - maybe he spilled coffee in his lap or something, but it was certainly not the reaction I expected.

Reactions: happysongbird
I had the weirdest experience this morning. It was just fleeting - a car was turning into the street in front of me and the driver saw me, did a double take and then and angry scowl spread across his face before he turned. It was almost like I had violated some precept of his or something and angered him.

Of course I have no idea what was really going on in his head - maybe he spilled coffee in his lap or something, but it was certainly not the reaction I expected.
Yah, it's always a bit dubious to assume someone's expression reflects thoughts about you. That driver could've been thinking about an employee's screw-up, or a fight with his spouse, or how his team missed a goal, etc. We're never as important to others as we think. Still, you're a badass barefoot runner so you were probably making him feel inadequate.

Today after running while walking up a popular trail full of people including many families with kids I heard numerous "Mommy why is that man barefoot" ...I didn't get to hear the answers but I always get a kick out that one.

Kids are always enamored when they see my bare feet when I'm out on the trails. Because they KNOW it's the best!!! Despite what their parents say... ;) Unless they have never been barefoot, which, I have actually encountered a few adults that NEVER went barefoot as kids!!!

Many Americans now even 60 years and older that grew up in the suburbs never went barefoot as kids.
Their parents were the precursers of today's overprotective variety.
My friends and I were those kids!

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts