People's reactions when you run

ok, I had this response ready....
I was near the end of a run several days ago. I'm friends with my neighbor, Josh. Josh was out watering his lawn in the evening. I came trotting by, and said howdy, and pulled up on his lawn for a chat. A few seconds later, he looks at my feet and says, "You run barefoot?"
Anticpating this type of question (since I read this thread a week or so ago,) I looked down, gasped in excalmation, "Agghhh!! My shoes! Where'd my shoes go?!?!" We both got a good chuckle out of that. Then I proceeded to tell him the benefits of running with naked feet. :)

Today I ran 5k barefoot on a 600 meter training track around a 400 meter athletic race track and there was a kid's athletic race going on. Many children saw me running barefoot, and I had some genuine reaction, all sounding like "oh my god, he is running barefoot, hahaha!", and they repeated their comments in every lap when I passed by (8x).
Its good they saw someone running without shoes, they will remember when they will hear about barefoot running, some might even try.

Today I ran 5k barefoot on a 600 meter training track around a 400 meter athletic race track and there was a kid's athletic race going on. Many children saw me running barefoot, and I had some genuine reaction, all sounding like "oh my god, he is running barefoot, hahaha!", and they repeated their comments in every lap when I passed by (8x).
Its good they saw someone running without shoes, they will remember when they will hear about barefoot running, some might even try.
Nice!

I'm confused by the 'eggplant' too. "Good luck. We're all counting on you."
Anyway, I was out running in the park this evening, great evening, lots of people, lots of ball diamonds, etc... The track went behind some bleachers, and a girl and her playmates were batting a ball around. It came rolling towards me, so without missing a stride, I jumped off the track, fielded the ball, and tossed it back to her, then continued running. Her dad was watching all this, and said kinda loudly, "Hey look, he's barefoot. Thats the way you're supposed to run!" About 20 heads all turn to look at me. Glad he said it, lots of people heard it, but he didn't say it to anyone in particular. Go figure. :)

Running in my neighborhood, I don't get many comments, but I do get a lot of looks ranging from shock to disgust. The worst comment I received was "where are your shoes, you f****** freak?", but that only happened once. As I've started running local races barefoot I find there's more & more interested people. They'll ask questions: "Doesn't it hurt?', "How long did it take til you could run like that?" Friends & coworkers think I'm crazy.

The best ones are the ones they don't think I hear. "Whoa, that dude is hardcore." "Did you see that guy...respect."

Older kids (6+) will be concerned,but 5 & under don't care at all. I was running at a school the other night and saw 2 younger kids running barefoot to the playground. It was completely natural to them.

AH! I forgot about a funny one.
During my last 10k on the 19th of June a couple of runner fellows behind me were speaking to each other and I overhead something about me running barefoot, then one of them said "...but he wears soles tied to his feet".
I said nothing because I was kind of busy :p but I thought to myself "not tied, but glued!"
I guess the tyre dust under my black soles and the fact I like to wear some leather strings around my ankles confused them :D
IMG_20160619_101726.jpg

I earned two "Hardcore" this last Sunday. I was running down a dirt path next to the road going up to the picnic grounds, and a road biker going up called out "Hardcore, man!", and a mountain biker on the dirt path later gave me a "Hardcore!" when I stepped aside to let him pass.

I'm a big time sucker for dogs, all dogs, and later I had to stop and meet an old lady's sweet, little blonde cocker spaniel named Sophia. She was politely interested in why I run barefoot, and I did a little evangelizing. The main event was the cocker spaniel, though -- a little fuzz therapy is always good for reducing the blood pressure and the stress level.

TrailDancer
Albuquerque, Chile Republic of New Mexico

In my neck of the woods, people are very reserved about saying anything to your face (but they will say it later or post it on one of the government sanctioned hate sites). But 4 weeks ago a runner cheered me on on a trail while wearing my Xero Trek's.

And yesterday I had my best yet- a serious/proper runner started clapping for me!! I just wish I was running properly but was on a cool down run.

My husband and I ran along a popular section of greenbelt Friday last. One lady cyclist passed and exclaimed, "Barefoot! You're a stud!" And my husband promptly corrected her by saying, "Stud-muffin." He is so romantic. :happy:

Okay. Today's reaction was a weird/possibly-threatening one:

I was nearing the end of my five miles around the park near my house and an older man with close-cropped grey hair whipped past me. Just as he did, he loudly and, in my opinion, angrily said -- and I give the transliteration here as I clearly don't speak the language he does/did -- "Zaa-toe-feh!"

Somewhat shocked, I replied, "What??"

He continued on and without turning, repeated, "Zaa-toe-feh!"

So then:

1) Anyone have any idea what he might have said to me?

2) Anyone ever deal with outright hostility to running barefoot? I haven't up until now, but these seemed like fighting words...

Reactions: happysongbird
I'm out doing a nice recovery run and I'm about to pass this cute older couple walking. I've gotten pretty good at softer foot landings and minimal foot slapping, but i think i breath loudly and assumed they heard me coming. So without thinking, as I pass them I give a polite "good morning" and scare the begeezus out of the lady. I guess I've reached barefoot ninja status :)

@jjb: I fooled around with a couple of phrases, like 'Move it!", or "Move over!" in Google translate, for a bunch of European/Middle Eastern languages. Didn't come up with anything. I'm guessing it was something to do with your mother. ;)

2) Anyone ever deal with outright hostility to running barefoot? I haven't up until now, but these seemed like fighting words...

I have had a man in a race (my only marathon so far) growl "Bare feet, that's stupid!" quite loudly... as I passed him. :p

Got a "forgot your shoes!" from someone in a group of cyclists, and I gave a friendly wave back.

Then a "no sneakers?" from a lady walking her dog.

Next time, I'll try to get out earlier Saturday morning, but I was still a bit tired and sore from Friday evening squats.

Reactions: happysongbird
Hippy guy and hippy girl.

Hippy guy: "Can I ask why you are running around without shoes?"
Me: "Reduce injuries, Increase Joy!"
Hippy guy to hippy girl (mumbled, whispered): "I think he said reduce injury, increase joy."
Hippy girl (shouted): "Are you trying to die?"

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090