People's reactions when you run

I found women typically smile, ask a question out of genuine interest, or make a positive comment.
Snide remarks, snarky questions or odd looks typically have come from men.

I bet that's because those men are jealous. They'd like to try it but fear about other people making comment and thinking they are... Gay, maybe?

I my case, most people does not seem to pay attention to my bare feet. Just some stare at them when I pass by and only a few make a comment —either out of amazement or creepiness.

And there are also the children, who usually shout out loud "woah! He has no shoes!"

Ran past an 8-9 year old girl fishing with her parents today. She called out to me, "No shoes!" To which I answered with a friendly, Nope!" After just a second, she yelled after me, "Why not?" And I called back, "Because I like it!" Then, her mom passed me and said, "She'll talk your ear off."

Yesterday I was minding my own business doing my stairs workout when this woman stop and told me that I was awesome.
I said thanks.

I got a nice one today. I was waiting for green at a pedestrian's traffic light when a group of four shod runners reached to me. The light went green and we all started running again. One of the guys called the other three "Hey look! That's what we have to achieve to!" while pointing to my feet :p
Other said something like "you are a brave fellow".
"It's easier than you believe" I replied.
Everyone followed their path in the end, they admittedly being faster than me.

they moved the bus station in my village, one month ago
so now when I go back home finishing my run, I run past 30 or 40 teenagers waiting for their bus after college
the first weeks they all were laughing a lot (like, teenagers, you know),
now they are not surprised anymore by my feet and they clap their hands
its a lot of fun

Everyone followed their path in the end, they admittedly being faster than me.

I wonder if they really were faster, or if they pushed themselves REALLY hard just do they didn't get beat out by a barefoot dude. They may be recovering hard today. :D

Reactions: hikerdana and KTR
I wonder if they really were faster, or if they pushed themselves REALLY hard just do they didn't get beat out by a barefoot dude. They may be recovering hard today. :D

Well, they looked like they had been running for a while when I was just warming up. Also, in the end I averaged 6:30 min/km. But really, they looked more (let's say) professional and did not seem like they were doing a great effort.

How about "I thought your feet would be tan?"

I burned the crap out of the tops of my feet one year fishing at the beach all day, worse kind of sunburn to get. I am very vigilant in spraying my feet before running in the sun. They usually stay a nice shade of "holy crap those are almost translucent".

On my run yesterday I ran by a young family, mom,dad, stroller, and a little girl ~4 yrs. old. I ran by them, gave the standard "Hi, nice day!"
I was waiting for it, then it came a few seconds after I went by... I heard the little girl say "wait!" a few seconds later "that man's running on his feet!" I wish I was able to hear her parents response...

I got one from a co-worker the other day who seems to be one of those appreciating the barefooting a bit at least...after a short run in the melting snow:

He: Man, can i see the bottoms of your feet? Hmm, that doesn't look very special...how does it feel?
Me: Well, good, you just have to get used to it.
He: You're such a bohemian, i love it!

Yesterday while on a run I passed a lady who managed to say "Barefoot?", to which I happily replied with a smile on my face, "No snow no shoes". That comment I'm used to hearing, but the matter of clothes that were being worn were completely at oppsite end of the scale. Her, winter parka with toque and parka hood on top of that, wind pants and bulky mitts, me shorts and a Icebreaker 200gr top and that was it. The temerature at the time was -1C with a wind chill of -5C. Gotta to love Merino wool. ;)

Reactions: Nopp and KTR
Since I have started running BF more and talking about it, the biggest response is "Doesn't it hurt?" I always reply with "It does a bit, but that's the point." That intrigues them. I think they think I am into sadomsochism at that point and they can't help but ask further about what I mean. A few minutes later I have explained that the foot's sensitivity forces a change in your running stride that results in injury free running. I tell them your feet will tell you what you need to do before your knees can tell you you're doing it wrong. That gets them thinking. If they want to know more, I give them McDougall's book. I've purchased and given away 10 of them now (I buy them used). If they read that, they will talk more, if they don't, they're not likely to be all that interested anyway.

Last edited:
I live in the 'burbs. All my friends know I run BF. Most of my neighborhood knows there's some weird guy running without shoes. One time (not a band camp) I was out for a late night run, and a police car followed me for a while. When I do encounter shod runners, I ask them in a joking manner, "Hey, hows come you're wearing shoes?!" I stop and talk to anybody who asks me about running BF. They don't know it, but its just an excuse for me to slow down. :) A few of my close friends (who know how crazy I really am) ask me when I'm going to put on the loin cloth and war paint. Hahahahahahhahaha!!

On my run yesterday I ran by a young family, mom,dad, stroller, and a little girl ~4 yrs. old. I ran by them, gave the standard "Hi, nice day!"
I was waiting for it, then it came a few seconds after I went by... I heard the little girl say "wait!" a few seconds later "that man's running on his feet!" I wish I was able to hear her parents response...
I LOVE it!

Reactions: KTR
yesterday, was invited to a big birthday party,
my friend with who I run once a week, introducing me to a 50 y/o wealthy looking guy who gave up running because of injuries 20 years ago

"this is my friend Sylvain, he runs barefoot"
"haha barefoot, and what about pieces of glass, hahaha"
and he went for another drink

"haha barefoot, and what about pieces of glass, hahaha"
and he went for another drink

What an idiot, hahaha

Today someone approached me and told me he saw me running barefoot. He was curious about how was it, how it feels, how long it takes to transition. He did not mention glass or nails or any other issues people normally mention when they see you running barefoot. It's nice when this happens :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090