People's reactions when you run

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by mandytheartist, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Ahcuah

Ahcuah
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

The SBL has a brochure and a flier you might consider:

Brochure

2. petit-pied

petit-pied
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Belgiüm-Wall...
    2. Belgiüm-Vlaa...

Gorgeous look emphasizing my bare feet of a man returning home.:meh:
    In response to my beautiful "♪♫ hello ♫", I had just ".................".
    Saw how he looked at me, he could not claim not to have seen me or heard:p
    In these scenarios, I developed "the distance, laughing,":D but I still have to work ... laughter is not powerful enough, I fear he did not hear me.:hilarious:
    (by google translate)

magnifique regard insistant sur mes pieds nus d'un homme rentrant chez lui.
    En réponse à mon magnifique "bonjour" j'ai eu juste "....". Vu comme il m'a regardé, il ne pouvait prétendre ne pas m'avoir vu, ni entendu

Dans ces cas de figures, j'ai développé "l'éloignement en rigolant" mais je dois encore le travailler... le rire n'est pas assez puissant, je crains qu'il ne m'aie pas entendu.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    happysongbird and Sid like this.
  3. happysongbird

happysongbird
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

I think the idea of balance is what interests many of the older people I come into contact with, but depending on how old "old" is, going totally barefoot could be difficult, especially outside. That's a case when something like a Luna sandal is particularly helpful. She might respond more hopefully knowing about options.

Mike UK likes this.
  4. Christian Lemburg

Christian Lemburg
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Germany &...

While hiking the Malerweg (Painter's Way) together with my family, cloudy weather, about 5 degrees Celsius, on a wet forest path, encountering a group of elderly shod, well-equipped hikers. One female hiker turns to another and observes excitedly "Oh my god, barefoot! He will get a cold for sure!". Some seconds after that, I have to sneeze. The hiker again "See? It is already starting!" ... My daughter had to caugh hard to cover her laugh, and we had quite some fun the next hours recounting the episode again and again.

dharmadan, TrailDancer, Sid and 7 others like this.
  5. dutchie53

dutchie53
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Canada

This morning while on my run in a temperature of -2C, a lady walking her dog made a comment that I should think about putting some shoes on. My reply to that was "No snow no shoes". She did get a chuckle out of that.

6. paraganek

paraganek
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

That is great !! :cool:

7. DNEchris

DNEchris
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Washington

It was cooler today so I wore shoes for the first time in a while on my commute.

I got this from a couple with a coffee cart:
    "So you do own shoes!"

8. macdiver

macdiver
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. New Jersey
    2. Delaware

Finally got to use one of the lines I have been saving for a while. On Saturday Someone said "Hey, you forgot your shoes" to which I replied, "Happens to me a lot." then I paused and grabbed my pants as if I was checking them and said" at least this time I remembered my pants". His wife cracked up. Him not so much.

primsam, happysongbird, Sly and 3 others like this.
  9. BroadArrow

BroadArrow
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Illinois

i never know whether to have faith in humanity or weep for our world. my community has like five different law enforcement agencies with overlapping jurisdictions: two cities (non-overlapping), and the coincident university police, county sheriff's office, and state police. my feet have now made the acquaintance of all but state police.

today's interaction was a mixed bag, but more positive than most. highly negative, of course, because it's not terribly fun to get pulled over by the cops under any circumstance. but, it was positive in that apparently he did buy my story that...

* no, i don't have shoes. ok, i have some at home, but not with me.
    * yes, i have an ID and i guess you can look at it even though i totally don't believe that i have to show you.
    * yes, that's my address. no, i don't live alone: i have wife and children.
    * yes, i have a job. yes, it's across the country. telecommuting? uh, that's where i do things on the computer since my colleagues are always on travel anyway. oh, working at a think tank? that needs explaining? sigh. um, i'm trying to help heal the world? (apparently, i don't look the part...)
    * yes, i run barefoot all the time. i'm trying to toughen up my feet because i pooped out of my 50 mile race due to weak feet from running on too much smooth stuff. thus, i need the chip-n-seal and hence, i have to run out in the country.
    * and YES, i'm sick of wasting you guys' time, so can you please tell all your buddies about me so that when you get a report, you can just cruise past and make sure it's me instead of having to stop and talk and write up an incident report and all that?

i managed to get his name and badge number and even phone number or something so that the next time i get pulled over, i can tell them the name of someone who can vouch for me.

he sent me off by saying that he would put out a bulletin about me so that, "if you want to keep toughening up your feet by running barefoot on the chip-n-seal out in the country, you just keep on doing that and we'll try not to bother you!"

Tedlet, Sly, happysongbird and 5 others like this.
  10. jjb

jjb
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

I've gotten mixed. One woman I've seen a couple times on my regular run around the park looks at me disapprovingly, which makes me laugh.

I've had a lot of people tell me I'm brave, to which I usually reply, "or crazy!"

But today I had a guy slow his car, roll down his window, and crawl along next to me to make the argument that I was crazy and that I shouldn't be running barefoot -- and that he liked his shoes. Thanks for that, buddy. o_O

migangelo likes this.
  11. macdiver

macdiver
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. New Jersey
    2. Delaware

I keep waiting for a cop to stop me in the summer when I am only wearing running shorts. My prepared response will be " her husband came home early". We will deal with it from there. My only ID is RoadID.

hikerdana, bfsailor, Sly and 3 others like this.
  12. DNEchris

DNEchris
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Washington

Today's run was different:
    I counted three "Good Lords"
    Two "My Gods"
    and one "Yeucch!"

There must be visitors in town!

Noodles, dharmadan, Tedlet and 5 others like this.
  13. happysongbird

happysongbird
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

He stopped you while you were running!? I honestly don't know what I would do if a cop tried to stop me in the middle of a run. "If you want to question me, keep up?" :banghead:

14. petit-pied

petit-pied
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Belgiüm-Wall...
    2. Belgiüm-Vlaa...

mercredi le jour où je cours en ville... donc où je croise des gens !
    en dehors des nombreux regards habituels...
    - un magnifique "bonjour" admiratif
    - une voiture qui me suis fenêtre ouverte... un homme la soixantaine me dit : "autrefois j'ai aussi couru ainsi et je l'ai regretté !" moi : "j'ai essayé en chaussures je me suis blessé depuis je cours ainsi" voyant qu'il allait me contredire je le coupe en disant "plus de trois ans et je n'ai jamais été blessé" du coup grand sourire et un joyeux :" bon courage"
    dommage que je courais je ne saurai jamais pourquoi il l'a regretté !
    - ha oui aussi : j'ai croisé un éboueur en train de nettoyer le trottoir. je me suis permis de lui dire : "un homme que je bénis chaque fois que je cours par ici !". Sourire !

Wednesday the day I run into town ... so when I meet people!
    Besides the many unusual looks...
    - a beautiful "bonjour" in admiration
    - a car that got a man open window ... sixties told me: "I also once ran barefoot and I regretted it!" Me: "I tried shoes, I got injured and since I run barefoot" Seeing that he was going to contradict me ... I cut saying "more than three years and I've never been hurt" suddenly big smile and a cheerful "good luck"
    shame that I ran, I'll never know why he regretted!
    - oh yes also: I met a garbage man was cleaning the sidewalk. I allowed myself to say, "a man I blessed every time I run here!". Smile !

15. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

You must live in the safest town in the world, if police have time to hassle a barefoot runner!

16. Christian Lemburg

Christian Lemburg
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Germany &...

This morning, running on a gravel filled field road, meeting an elderly man walking his dog, he said: "I wish I had feet like that!"

17. Christian Lemburg

Christian Lemburg
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Germany &...

18. gueng

gueng
    Expand Collapse
    1. Germany &...

Wow, I love this clip, Christian! You are a great ambassador of barefoot running.

dharmadan likes this.
  19. KTR

KTR
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Spain - España

The other day I run past an elderly man and he mumbled the equivalent to "Holy Moly!". And I though "yeah!".

jjb and happysongbird like this.
  20. joe4702

joe4702
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

The nicest comment I've gotten was just recently, while walking on a nearby trail.
    I passed a woman and her husband walking their dog, and the nice lady says "Oh how fun to do this barefoot!"

I found women typically smile, ask a question out of genuine interest, or make a positive comment.
    Snide remarks, snarky questions or odd looks typically have come from men.

KTR, DNEchris and happysongbird like this.