Minimal ultra training time

barefoot kean

Barefooters
Jun 3, 2010
Anchorage
Odds are this summer Ill have an internship that takes me far away from friends family etc. as such i figure ill have nothing better to do than run. So, is it possible to train for a 100 mile ultra in just 3 months?

I'll have an answer for you

I'll have an answer for you by mid-april. ;)

Originally, I had a lot more

Originally, I had a lot more time to train but for various reasons I haven't so in essence, I'll be doing all my ultra training in three months. I sure wish I'd gotten off my a$$ sooner though, like November when I originally signed up. Especially since I'm more of a LSD kind of guy and aerobic capacity takes a lot of time to develop. My basic training strategy is to run increasingly long runs every or every other weekend, starting at about three hours, along with 2-3 more slow runs each week between 90 minutes and two hours. Also, to get used to trail running in the dark I plan on doing a couple of runs per week on snow to get used to landings I can't predict and to strengthen my feet and ankles as well as telling my brain that my feet know full well what they are doing so there's no point in trying to control them. Not really an option in the summer but perhaps running trails at night would be similar?

I'm not sure, but I would

I'm not sure, but I would reccomend reading as much Maffetone material as possible between now and then and work on building your aerobic base, that way your at least improving your efficiency for those 3 months...

Also I would take an in depth look at your diet as well, you need to become a fat burning machine!!!

.....or just procrastinate and drink lots of beer, that seems to work for alot of people.

Oh, and where is your intern

Oh, and where is your intern ship, and what fer (thats white trash talk for "for")?

3 months?  Plenty of

3 months? Plenty of time!...if you can comfortably pop off a Marathon today and do it agin within the week.

I'm no expert in any sense, but as I read up I gather that even folks with reasonable training under their belts fairly often wonk on their first and sometimes subsequent attempts at any long distance race.

I've read that BF Ted only trains at like 30 or 40 MPW. He then runs strong, if not blazing fast, Ultras (and talks the whole way!)

Do what you will, and joy to you. I just thought I'd speak a wee bit of sanity.

You want a reality based

You want a reality based honest answer? No.

What is your current mileage?
What was your max week mileage in the past 6 months?
Have you run a 26.2, 50k or 50 mile race before?

Odds are that you'll injury yourself before even showing up for the race.

bubba hotep wrote:You want a

bubba hotep said:
You want a reality based honest answer? No. What is your current mileage? What was your max week mileage in the past 6 months? Have you run a 26.2, 50k or 50 mile race before? Odds are that you'll injury yourself before even showing up for the race.

+1

It's good we have at least some realistic people around here.

I'm still trying to grasp this ideology why people think they can turn into this ultra-marathon running machine overnight once they turn to barefoot running? I only run marathons, hopefully an ultra in the future, but the best advice I ever got was train, be ready, and have no doubts about going into a race. Nothing worse than suffering through a race you are not prepared for.

But, good luck!!

Maybe everyone here knows

Maybe everyone here knows your base, but I don't. What kind of mileage are you doing per week and what is your longest run/race? I'd say this. I think I am relatively prepared for a 50miler soon... though I follow the procrastinate and drink beer method Chaser mentioned... and I can't imagine in my wildest dreams being ready for 100 miles in 3 months.

Barefoot Gentile wrote:I'm

Barefoot Gentile said:
I'm still trying to grasp this ideology why people think they can turn into this ultra-marathon running machine overnight once they turn to barefoot running?

Well.... Heres my thoughts on this, although its maybe a little off subject...

The average shod runner will be the recipient of a multitude of running related injuries throughout the course of a year (as high as 80% according to some studies), so for the average shod person to run an ultra, especially a 100 miler, it would theoretically take them YEARS of building up, injury, building up, injury, building up, injury, ect ect... To get them to the point where they could run 100 miles.

The average bare foot runner, real bf not mini shod, can go alot longer before becoming injured. If they even get injured at all.

So where it might take a shod runner a whole year to build up to a marathon, a barefoot runner might be able to achieve it within 6 or 7 months due to consistency!

The other argument in favor of it would be the level of efficency one gains when running with proper form. Running barefoot definitely helps one run with improved form, does it not?

Now I'm not saying that just because you run barefoot your automatically a candidate for western states, our any ultra for that matter. I just think it helps in the long run! (no pun intended..)

Good post Chaser, I agree,

Good post Chaser, I agree, but personally, I need a few marathons under my belt before attempting an ultra and I can't even imagine doing a 100 miler. I'm still a better hiker than a runner so a ultra hike like R2R2R is more realistic.

Barefoot kean, good luck and have fun. I think as barefoot runners, we are more in tune with our bodies and can tell sooner when we have had enough. So if you have to pull out, no big deal. If you finish, awesome, and you will be a inspiration to us future ultra runners.

And then you have the

And then you have the one-off, unusual case of Todd Ragsdale, who after just a few short months (3 or 4?) of barefoot running (conditioning his feet through gravel bucket training, no doubt) set the Guiness World Record for the Longest Barefoot run at 102.65 miles. Check out this article from the home page and the pictures of his feet afterwards: 102 Mile Barefoot Ultra - No Simple Feat

Barefoot TJ wrote:And then

Barefoot TJ said:
And then you have the one-off, unusual case of Todd Ragsdale, who after just a few short months (3 or 4?) of barefoot running (conditioning his feet through gravel bucket training, no doubt) set the Guiness World Record for the Longest Barefoot run at 102.65 miles. Check out this article from the home page and the pictures of his feet afterwards: 102 Mile Barefoot Ultra - No Simple Feat

It should be noted that Todd had years of running ultra distance races on his resume before setting the WR. It isn't like he just worked on conditioning his feet for a few months and then went out and set a WR. Someone mentioned BF Ted and his lower mileage training, Ted has also been running ultras for years and it takes a really long time to build up your aerobic base. Your aerobic base does not fade that fast and can be maintained on lower mileage, esp. if a good portion of that mileage is in the form of your long run.

not only do you need time to

not only do you need time to build an aerobic base but a lot of time to allow your bones to rebuild and calcify. your bones take a few months to adjust to new stresses. doing too much too soon is what leads to all the stress fractures, reactions, and bone bruises so many are going through right now. then just when your bones adapt to go add a lot more miles without backing down and snap. bones are dynamic but they need time to build and 100 miles is a lot of pounding no matter how soft you run.

Barefoot Gentile wrote:bubba

Barefoot Gentile said:
bubba hotep said:
You want a reality based honest answer? No. What is your current mileage? What was your max week mileage in the past 6 months? Have you run a 26.2, 50k or 50 mile race before? Odds are that you'll injury yourself before even showing up for the race.

I only run marathons, hopefully an ultra in the future, but the best advice I ever got was train, be ready, and have no doubts about going into a race. Nothing worse than suffering through a race you are not prepared for.

But, good luck!!

I have to admit that while I was confident with the training I had prior to my first BF marathon, I had my doubts come marathon morning what with the inclement weather, and the fact that this was going to be 6.2 miles further than I had ever ran barefoot. In the long run (again, pardon the pun) I needent have worried, but still that sliver of doubt WAS there standing on a cold, wet road before the start.

To me the funny thing about my marathon work up was running my first half race (the infamous Hottest Half in Dallas that Chaser, Talon and I all had issues at). I had ran 14 miles the week before with ZERO issues, but really struggled (my opinion) from about 10-11 miles to the finish. Maybe it was the heat, but I felt overly confident before and notsomuch after.

My thoughts... Your results may vary...

I would also love to run an ultra, but might wait until I'm 50 (couple of years) to attempt. Until then, just marathons.

Pilotrunner

migangelo wrote:not only do

migangelo said:
not only do you need time to build an aerobic base but a lot of time to allow your bones to rebuild and calcify. your bones take a few months to adjust to new stresses. doing too much too soon is what leads to all the stress fractures, reactions, and bone bruises so many are going through right now. then just when your bones adapt to go add a lot more miles without backing down and snap. bones are dynamic but they need time to build and 100 miles is a lot of pounding no matter how soft you run.

+1

I agree with what Chaser said that running barefoot/minimal you can run longer, in the long run. But as Migangelo stated right here, there is more to running an ultra than just feet.

Also the mental aspect of the ulra as well. You can be physically prepared but sometimes the mental part is what defeats people in the end.

Chaserwilliams wrote:Oh, and

Chaserwilliams said:
Oh, and where is your intern ship, and what fer (thats white trash talk for "for")?

With any luck it will either be with NASA or NREIP. (havent gotten it yet, but I know a woman who works at Goddard Space flight center who will try and hook me up). As far as what ill be doing, something aerospace engineering related as that is my field of study.

Barefoot Gentile wrote: I'm

Barefoot Gentile said:
I'm still trying to grasp this ideology why people think they can turn into this ultra-marathon running machine overnight once they turn to barefoot running? I only run marathons, hopefully an ultra in the future, but the best advice I ever got was train, be ready, and have no doubts about going into a race. Nothing worse than suffering through a race you are not prepared for.

But, good luck!!

Its not that I think that I can do it overnight, ive just wanted to do one for several years now. I also have the tendency to run (pun intended) headfirst into stuff (for instance, with no training or preparation i decided to go on a several hundred mile canoe trip. Last summer from coming out of a relatively sedentary life style my father and I did strenuous mountainous backpacking)

So its not that I think i can turn around and do this overnight, for the 3 months id be trainning my ass off. I dont really care if i have to quit after 50 miles, i just like pushing myself and doin, what i consider to be, fun stuff.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7