Minimal ultra training time

only 9 days to go to my first ultra.
I'm starting to pull my kit together and adding up my calorie needs, first aid, clothing changes etc. There is definitely a sense of anticipation, slight nerves and definite excitement. Now I need to start managing the emotions and not getting too wound up, a busy work schedule will help in some respects, as will a few well managed taper sessions.

This time tomorrow I'll be on the start line!

Thanks guys, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

It's looking like rain tomorrow and I can't believe how much food and kit changes I've packed.

Intention is to enjoy it and get round

DNF at 40 miles, absolutely atrocious conditions.

Will post more later

Thanks very much Willie, I'm not hapy with the DNF, but I'm pretty sure I understand why it happened. I'm also pretty sure that given better conditions I'd have been writing "hey, I just finished my first ultra"

I've not experience with distance running, but it seems as though even the dnf's in ultras can be great learning experiences. Looks like you got a chance to learn a lot. Poor consolation now, but for your next ultra, you may find yourself very happy with what you gained.

Thanks all.

In some ways I think this was a great first ultra experience with a massive amount of learning in those 8 hours. I'll be back next year - unfinished business with that course!