Mileage Reporting 48th Week of 2012

BUT WHY?
At that point it becomes a bit too OCD for me, so then running is then a matter of saying you do it every day than, well, a matter of running.
Yah, I dunno. I don't / can't run everyday, but I sure do like exercising my animal everyday. I never plan rest days--they happen too much on their own as it is. I haven't talked directly with my friend's brother for many, many years, but I don't get the sense that it's any hardship or obligation for him, except perhaps after the surgery . . . It's his inner peace. He's one of those natural runners that can go for miles and miles effortlessly.

and now back to reporting mileage... 3.07 hilly miles. I haven't run this route in a long time and I've noticed lately that despite my speed starting to inch back up, hills have been starting to get the better of me again. Guess that means time to start doing them hills again (other than the gentle mile + hill I run down and back up on my normal runs). Wow, let me say this, those hills whipped my butt. I had to walk up sections of them again. Just back in July/August I was running up them with ease. Guess that's what happens when you take a month off due to injury and then when you do come back you just come back and run mainly relatively flat routes. I'm really digging doing the short miles, and I still have a burst at the end to push the pace for the final quarter to half a mile. It's a great feeling for me when able to finish strong.

Rode a lovely 75 minutes on the spinning bike at a pretty fast cadence, except not so fast during about 5 power intervals. Nothing compared to other people's power intervals, I'm sure, but they were hard for me. :)

4 miles, about three miles running, 38 F / 32 F windchill
Only slept five hours, dry cough persists, didn't really feel like running but I knew I'd feel better for it afterwards.
Stretched and rolled well before heading out the door. Put on my knee braces and my ITB strap, and brought along my new mini-stick.
I wasn't taking chances.
Ran down to the HS track.
More stretching.
Ran a mile at 8:30 mm pace. Felt a brief twinge in my MCL.
More stretching and massaging.
Walked around the track once and did a little backwards running, skips, and knee raises here and there.
The problem with intervals in the cold, of course, is that the feet tend cool down the minute you stop running, and the track's sandy gravel felt noticeably cooler than the asphalt and sidewalk.
Ran a 44o at 7:30 pace to warm up.
Went right into another mile interval at 8:50 mm pace.
Coming up on three miles, decided that was enough for the day. Didn't want to push my luck.
Walked to our son's day care nearby.
Walked home feeding him in my arms and stopped to get a few groceries on the way.
No ITBS.
Tomorrow I'll try rowing again and do my Back ST routine.

2nd day in a row no running. ostensibly, it's because I woke up too late both days---didn't set my alarm properly monday (so got up at 5:45---too late to make a run before school), and slept through it for an hour and a half this morning?! (yeah, I was wearing ear plugs, but the thing must've been muted).
Anyhow, at least I had two days of cross training at the gym on my lunch hour, doing elliptical, ball and weights. I'm rediscovering how much I love core work. With all the running, I was barely holding steady on strength/abs.
I'm thinking it's a nice opportunity as well to consider days off of running, to see if my recovery improves. It was such a joy to run a 10 miler with loose leg muscles. It was fun to be able to push pace at the end and still have some steam leftover when I was done. We shall see if I can get me and my arse out the door in time tomorrow. The plummeting temps (I'm guessing mid teens F by am) won't help my motivation.
Oh well, for the winter break I'm planning on upping weekly mileage again, in the snow, with my trusty soft stars toasting my toes when the sandals aren't doing it.

No ITBS.

Hurray!!!
BTW, I don't think I've ever had itbs, but there've been times when I have really upped the mileage and on the end of a long run I've felt a general tightness along where the IT band sits. Also, after those long runs, if I do a lot of sitting, it gets quite tight feeling for a little while, but then when it goes away it goes.
However, it scares me into doing hip work, though, since I see how much persistent trouble it can become if it gets to the syndrome stage. Twisting my ankle in a pothole early this spring and getting tendon trouble from it also made me far more aware of tendons and their sensitivities.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yah, I dunno. I don't / can't run everyday, but I sure do like exercising my animal everyday. I never plan rest days--they happen too much on their own as it is. I haven't talked directly with my friend's brother for many, many years, but I don't get the sense that it's any hardship or obligation for him, except perhaps after the surgery . . . It's his inner peace. He's one of those natural runners that can go for miles and miles effortlessly.

No, I get it. I'm just amazed that life never ever ever not in all those thousands of days got enough in the way that it just didn't happen.
Funerals? Car accidents? Kid emergencies? Sleepless nights? Illness? Weird travel mishaps? Stuck on airplanes? Just plain too sore from some crazy adventure the day before? What about a scrape? A twisted leg from sledding/other sports/playing with kids at a jungle gym? A stiff neck? A life with adventure and excitement is bound to have many days where recovery is the only option. Don't you think? Or do I just play too hard?

I can't imagine really saying to myself that no matter what, I would not let 24 hours pass without doing XYZ, unless it's tooth brushing. That I plan to do every day, several times per day, for as long as I'm physically capable, then pay someone else to, until of course i no longer have my own teeth.

photo 2.JPG Great run tonight running trail with Hazel, we saw some deer, a rabbit or two which she almost got (came to the end of her rope) and the best moon sky shot I have seen in a while. All and all a 6 mile run through the forest.

photo 4.JPG

and our snowy trail,

photo 1.JPG

I'm thinking it's a nice opportunity as well to consider days off of running, to see if my recovery improves.
Really seems like the way to go for most of us. 3-4 days running another 2-3 cross-training, and then some strength-training or core work thrown in on top of that. I really don't enjoy rowing, but it was probably a good complement to my runnning, and who knows?, maybe stopping rowing had sometime to do with my MCL injury. I'm sure another 30 minutes of aerobic work on my off-days will improve my running endurance, and rowing is good for the knees and hips and the muscles that support them. If I lived on a lake and could do real rowing it'd be a lot easier to motivate. Static aerobic work of any kind is a real buzz-kill, especially in-doors. Maybe I could try to trim 10 minutes off my ST workouts and add another 10 total so that I'm rowing 20 minutes on those days . . .
Hurray!!!
BTW, I don't think I've ever had itbs, but there've been times when I have really upped the mileage and on the end of a long run I've felt a general tightness along where the IT band sits.
Yah, that's what I felt 10 days ago after my 9.4-mile run. Now I know it's a signal to roll, massage, stretch, and make sure to recover properly before running again.
However, it scares me into doing hip work, though, since I see how much persistent trouble it can become if it gets to the syndrome stage.
I think I've finally got the message that I have to stay on top of that stuff. I tend to blow it off the minute I feel good. I never had to worry about this stuff before so it took a while to realize that yes, I've aged sufficiently that fitness is no longer going to be automatic. Before I went to Mozambique in 2004, everything was easy. Then I let myself get out of shape for a few years, and now it's a lot more work to stay healthy. I needed an attitude adjustment.
No, I get it. I'm just amazed that life never ever ever not in all those thousands of days got enough in the way that it just didn't happen.
Funerals? Car accidents? Kid emergencies? Sleepless nights? Illness? Weird travel mishaps? Stuck on airplanes? Just plain too sore from some crazy adventure the day before? What about a scrape? A twisted leg from sledding/other sports/playing with kids at a jungle gym? A stiff neck? A life with adventure and excitement is bound to have many days where recovery is the only option. Don't you think? Or do I just play too hard?

I can't imagine really saying to myself that no matter what, I would not let 24 hours pass without doing XYZ, unless it's tooth brushing. That I plan to do every day, several times per day, for as long as I'm physically capable, then pay someone else to, until of course i no longer have my own teeth.
Ha! But if you think about it, a mile isn't that big a deal. Even though he averages 9-10 miles per day, the streak is just one mile per day. My friend sent me an article about the runeveryday club when his brother passed the 40-year mark last year. I think I recall reading that those guys schedule flights with layovers where they can get out in the right time zone and run a mile to keep the streak alive.

Reactions: Sid
7.5mi minshod.
Okay, I know that I said that I'd be avoiding Disney races, but Goofy's Challenge in 2014 sounds interesting. With a 5:30A start time, that's pretty much when I run away. I live nearby, so I won't have to adjust to the weather. Though at $300+ for registration, I could run those miles on my own and buy a few historic participation medals. The crowds will be horrendous. However, it does look "challenging", and that would really motivate me to focus my running. It's geared for beginners, which is fine, as I prefer slow and steady anyway. Though, no need to rush into this. I do have time to decide. I think I'll just wait and see how far I've progressed by the time they start registration for 2014.

GOODNESS---300$???? It should come with a full spa day. Someplace nice. And fancy breakfast. And lunch. And dinner.
That's why I don't do many races. I think they are almost all way over priced and I stick to the cheap small races (under $35). I actually registered a year in advance for the warrior dash next year (normal price is $80+ I believe) for $35 I think.

That's why I don't do many races. I think they are almost all way over priced and I stick to the cheap small races (under $35). I actually registered a year in advance for the warrior dash next year (normal price is $80+ I believe) for $35 I think.
Yah, I just started looking into races last week, and was surprised at how much some of them want. I ended up finding some cheaper ones. I'm going to do a 10 K in April for $20, a 10-miler for $40 in June, and a half-marathon for $45 in August. That's over a hundred bucks for three t-shirts. The bigger races are all $60 and up. But I guess there's a lot of logistics involved, and it's not all done by volunteers, right? There's also a 5K on Christmas day, but I'll only do it if the temps are going to be high enough to do it bare. So I can't save money by registering early--I need a 3-to-5-day forecast just before x-mas before I'll be able to commit.

My hamstrings and butt and low back hurt a little and are pretty tight today (just muscle soreness, nothing bad) from yesterdays hilly run and I am taking today off. Wow I got out of hill shape pretty bad. Hills have always been my nemesis, even when I was a spry 150lb running machine doing 5 minute miles. The best I've ever run hills was just this past summer when I did all those hilly runs all the time. Guess I need to start doing a better mix of my runs. If it wasn't for my mileage goal for the year I would actually rearrange my whole running schedule a bit. Oh well, only another month and then I can unplug from caring about the mileage so much. It's getting tough near the end of the year to keep motivated for my mileage goal as I had some early setbacks which are now forcing me to run more than I want to.

GOODNESS---300$???? It should come with a full spa day. Someplace nice. And fancy breakfast. And lunch. And dinner.
That will probably be uh... extra. Though, that awesome buffet that we had on Sunday is nearby. However, I'm not sure if I'll be up to having a buffet afterwards. I'll have time to sort that all out during training.

Although I live within an hour's drive, I was thinking about staying overnight between races at one of their resorts, just so I won't have to worry about dealing with traffic.

If I do this, it will most likely be the only organized marathon that I run, and the investment would motivate me to take training seriously. Hey, go big or go home, right?

My hamstrings and butt and low back hurt a little and are pretty tight today (just muscle soreness, nothing bad) from yesterdays hilly run and I am taking today off. Wow I got out of hill shape pretty bad. Hills have always been my nemesis, even when I was a spry 150lb running machine doing 5 minute miles. The best I've ever run hills was just this past summer when I did all those hilly runs all the time. Guess I need to start doing a better mix of my runs. If it wasn't for my mileage goal for the year I would actually rearrange my whole running schedule a bit. Oh well, only another month and then I can unplug from caring about the mileage so much. It's getting tough near the end of the year to keep motivated for my mileage goal as I had some early setbacks which are now forcing me to run more than I want to.
Yeah, I quit hills for a while when I got the shin splints, and now I too am noticing the difference. It comes and goes, though, doesn't it.

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7