Mileage Reporting 48th Week of 2012

Nothing yet this week - tired yesterday then got pretty sick last night, and still not feeling all that great today.

3.53 miles. I ran the first 2 miles as if it was an Army physical fitness test to see where I was at. I ran an avg 9:48 pace which is the fastest I have run with the stroller in a while. Was feeling pretty good about that time until I decided to look up my time on the scoring card for the Army physical fitness test. A big fat fail. It was a 43% for my age group which is failing. You need a 60% to pass the Army standards and in my old unit you needed a min of 70% to pass. While in the service I never scored below a 100%... To score an Army standard passing test I would have to run in 17:42 (8:51 avg) and to pass my old units standard I would need to run a 16:36 (8:18 avg pace). Guess I have some work ahead of me. Maybe it's silly, but this really really bothers me. I could care less about the distance right now as distance seems to leave me barely able to walk later in the day anyways... I think I may have just been coasting by for the last nearly 2 years and not pushing myself enough.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
3.53 miles. I ran the first 2 miles as if it was an Army physical fitness test to see where I was at. I ran an avg 9:48 pace which is the fastest I have run with the stroller in a while. Was feeling pretty good about that time until I decided to look up my time on the scoring card for the Army physical fitness test. A big fat fail. It was a 43% for my age group which is failing. You need a 60% to pass the Army standards and in my old unit you needed a min of 70% to pass. While in the service I never scored below a 100%... To score an Army standard passing test I would have to run in 17:42 (8:51 avg) and to pass my old units standard I would need to run a 16:36 (8:18 avg pace). Guess I have some work ahead of me. Maybe it's silly, but this really really bothers me. I could care less about the distance right now as distance seems to leave me barely able to walk later in the day anyways... I think I may have just been coasting by for the last nearly 2 years and not pushing myself enough.
The balance is to let these things motivate us, without taking over our minds and attitudes. :) Hang in there. I'm always trying to push the bounds of what is considered "normal" for a woman my age, but still have to give myself grace to do things like rest more and try really hard to avoid injury.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
Careful, if you get back to a 100% score they could send you to our next war in Iran. Got keep General Electric's profits going you know?

But seriously man, give yourself a break. First of all, running with a stroller is hard. Second, you've been working through some injuries. Third, you got sidetracked by Mike's Maf evangelism for a while. Just wait till you have been stroller-free, injury-free, Maf-free, and have been doing your kind of running for a while before you come down too hard on yourself. Oh, and did we forget to mention the bit about recovering from back surgery? A lot of people would've called it quits right there.

Reactions: Sid
The balance is to let these things motivate us, without taking over our minds and attitudes. :) Hang in there. I'm always trying to push the bounds of what is considered "normal" for a woman my age, but still have to give myself grace to do things like rest more and try really hard to avoid injury.
Oh I agree Laura. I know I will probably never get back to my old pace, in fact I can almost guarantee it barring some sort of freak miracle. I do think I can get down to the 70% pace though. A year and 3 months a go I was at 8:52 avg pace for a 5k. Then I started doing Maf and longer distances and got injured a lot and stopped doing shorter faster runs for the most part. I blame the injuries on the longer distances. I think my body (as it is right now) doesn't handle long distances (ok short and medium distance runs for some of you folks at anything over 5 miles) well at all.

Reactions: happysongbird
Careful, if you get back to a 100% score they could send you to our next war in Iran. Got keep General Electric's profits going you know?

But seriously man, give yourself a break. First of all, running with a stroller is hard. Second, you've been working through some injuries. Third, you got sidetracked by Mike's Maf evangelism for a while. Just wait till you have been stroller-free, injury-free, Maf-free, and have been doing your kind of running for a while before you come down too hard on yourself. Oh, and did we forget to mention the bit about recovering from back surgery? A lot of people would've called it quits right there.
I get what you're saying Lee, but I also think I have been training to lightly and not pushing myself. I have a little bit of leg burn, oh, I better slow down just a touch, oh, maybe just a little more. Oh, I'm going to run 7 miles today, I better slow down even more. As far as getting called back into service, will never happen. Not as a disabled veteran. The stroller is a bit of an excuse in my eye. Yes, it is a bit harder and slows you down but I also let myself slack off on the pace. I didn't put two and two together with how I felt after the longer slow runs either. Funny, I can run a short and fast (for me) run and a couple hours later feel great and no worse for wear from the run. I go and do a 7 miler at a 12-13 min avg pace and a couple hours later my heels have flared up, I can barely walk, and my legs tighten up horribly bad. Did I mention on the shorter faster runs I can run 5 days a week just fine? Add in one long run a week and I have to take an extra day off or more after that. It may sound like I am being hard on myself, but I really don't think so. I believe I let visions of half and full marathons enter my head and distract me. I also believe this may be part of why I struggle losing weight, not pushing myself hard enough. Not to say I need to always push hard. I do feel I need to get back to training (somewhat) as I did while in the Army.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I get what you're saying Lee, but I also think I have been training to lightly and not pushing myself. I have a little bit of leg burn, oh, I better slow down just a touch, oh, maybe just a little more. Oh, I'm going to run 7 miles today, I better slow down even more. As far as getting called back into service, will never happen. Not as a disabled veteran. The stroller is a bit of an excuse in my eye. Yes, it is a bit harder and slows you down but I also let myself slack off on the pace. I didn't put two and two together with how I felt after the longer slow runs either. Funny, I can run a short and fast (for me) run and a couple hours later feel great and no worse for wear from the run. I go and do a 7 miler at a 12-13 min avg pace and a couple hours later my heels have flared up, I can barely walk, and my legs tighten up horribly bad. Did I mention on the shorter faster runs I can run 5 days a week just fine? Add in one long run a week and I have to take an extra day off or more after that. It may sound like I am being hard on myself, but I really don't think so. I believe I let visions of half and full marathons enter my head and distract me. I also believe this may be part of why I struggle losing weight, not pushing myself hard enough. Not to say I need to always push hard. I do feel I need to get back to training (somewhat) as I did while in the Army.
I was just kidding about being called back into service. I'm pretty cynical about our government's endless warring and its use of young men and women for canon fodder. But I do my best not to discuss my lefty-libertarian politics here. Opps.

But yeah, as we've discussed, the whole distance first, speed later paradigm needs to be questioned. Check out this book:
Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
Bill Pierce, et al

Just came today, I'll let you know if I like it.

I'm thinking of letting my ITBS be a good excuse to finally implement my Kenyan protocol and work on speed first, not just one day a week, but every day until I'm running well, then add distance. I figure if I'm running intervals down at the track I can stretch and massage the legs in between each interval, and if the ITBS flares up, I'm only a half-mile walk from home. We'll see how long this latest training idea lasts, but it could be viable until the first real snow covers the track.

P.S., I signed up for a 10 K in April, am thinking about a 10 miler in June, and will be doing a half marathon in August with Dutchie. This all might be a little premature, but even if I don't end up running these races at the paces I would like, it will be a good excuse to get the racing thing going and see if I like it.

OK, off to do my Chest and Upper Arms ST workout. Pump it up.

Reactions: NickW
I was just kidding about being called back into service. I'm pretty cynical about our government's endless warring and its use of young men and women for canon fodder. But I do my best not to discuss my lefty-libertarian politics here. Opps.

But yeah, as we've discussed, the whole distance first, speed later paradigm needs to be questioned. Check out this book:
Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
Bill Pierce, et al

Just came today, I'll let you know if I like it.

I'm thinking of letting my ITBS be a good excuse to finally implement my Kenyan protocol and work on speed first, not just one day a week, but every day until I'm running well, then add distance. I figure if I'm running intervals down at the track I can stretch and massage the legs in between each interval, and if the ITBS flares up, I'm only a half-mile walk from home. We'll see how long this latest training idea lasts, but it could be viable until the first real snow covers the track.

P.S., I signed up for a 10 K in April, am thinking about a 10 miler in June, and will be doing a half marathon in August with Dutchie. This all might be a little premature, but even if I don't end up running these races at the paces I would like, it will be a good excuse to get the racing thing going and see if I like it.

OK, off to do my Chest and Upper Arms ST workout. Pump it up.
Ya I saw that book on your black friday list in the other post and just as I started to comment my computer died. Ok, the battery died. Been having an issue since last week with it and so I couldn't tell how much battery I had left as I kept getting error message. Anyhow, seems to have fixed itself now, but I may be thinking about having to go get a new battery soon... I am really interested in that book though. When I was in the Army we rarely ran over 3 miles, but we ran 5 days a week at a good pace with sprints involved. Starting to believe that if you are worried about speed at all, this shorter distance but faster paced running is the ticket. I keep thinking back to how I could maintain a 5min pace over 5 miles back then. It was tough, but I could do it. When I was forced to do the Honolulu half, we did it at a steady 8 min pace and I barely felt like I had ran. I kind of feel like all that short but fast training we did really made it easier for me to run longer distances, occasionally. If I remember correctly, Zap runs shorter but faster paced training runs and then goes out and does Ultras occasionally. Kinda think that may be what I myself need to do for training. Not that I am going to go out and run a dang Ultra, I don't know that I will ever even run a full marathon.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I read that a couple of years ago. It has helped me a lot.
Good to hear. I was curious when you mentioned doing tempo runs a while back, because I haven't heard of too many other people around here doing those. But you run at a good pace and manage to stay injury-free, which I take as a very good recommendation for this approach.

I was just having a look at the book now. Funny, he prescribes exactly the program I've been trying to implement for the last month or two: three runs a week, one day track intervals, one day tempo run, and one day long and steady. Man, it's great to get this confirmation, because this mix just feels so right for me. The moment I try four days a week, last week, what happens?: ITBS!!! I just need to merge my proposed skips and backwards running into my track day.

Still for the next week or two, I think I may just try intervals, 440 to one mile, to make sure I can stretch and massage a lot throughout the workout, until I've shaken the ITBS once and for all. Does that make sense?

Ya I saw that book on your black friday list in the other post and just as I started to comment my computer died. Ok, the battery died. Been having an issue since last week with it and so I couldn't tell how much battery I had left as I kept getting error message. Anyhow, seems to have fixed itself now, but I may be thinking about having to go get a new battery soon... I am really interested in that book though. When I was in the Army we rarely ran over 3 miles, but we ran 5 days a week at a good pace with sprints involved. Starting to believe that if you are worried about speed at all, this shorter distance but faster paced running is the ticket. I keep thinking back to how I could maintain a 5min pace over 5 miles back then. It was tough, but I could do it. When I was forced to do the Honolulu half, we did it at a steady 8 min pace and I barely felt like I had ran. I kind of feel like all that short but fast training we did really made it easier for me to run longer distances, occasionally. If I remember correctly, Zap runs shorter but faster paced training runs and then goes out and does Ultras occasionally. Kinda think that may be what I myself need to do for training. Not that I am going to go out and run a dang Ultra, I don't know that I will ever even run a full marathon.
I don't know if the book is that necessary. The basic idea is three runs a week, one day track intervals, one day tempo run, and one day long and steady. But it has a chart giving suggested paces for each run, and then there's the second part of the book which I haven't looked at. Still, with the McMillian calculator, the book might be redundant. Still-still, Happy Bird Song said it helped her, and she's pretty speedy, so that's a pretty strong recommendation right there.
OK really got to going on my weights . . .

I thought you had gone to do that already? Whatcha been doing since you said you were going earlier? Don't let us give you an excuse to sit around! Lol!
Ha! I was looking through that book.
Now I'm back from the ST workout. Looked through the book a bit more in between sets. I would say definitely get it. It was only 9.95 with Amazon Prime. You could probably get it used for less. It just got me interested in using my rower again, for cross-training. I gave it to my dad, but he never uses it.

Ha! I was looking through that book.
Now I'm back from the ST workout. Looked through the book a bit more in between sets. I would say definitely get it. It was only 9.95 with Amazon Prime. You could probably get it used for less. It just got me interesting in using my rower again, for cross-training. I gave it to my dad, but he never uses it.
I'll check out barnes and nobles this week and see if they have it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon