Mileage Reporting 48th Week of 2012

3.57 slow and easy miles. Have the Jingle Bell Run on Sunday so trying not to wear myself out or hurt myself prior to the race (nice to think that my slow and easy is now a 12:09 avg pace! That's with a couple of small hills thrown in there.). Hoping to get close to a PR on Sunday, but not sure if I can do it or not. Still on pace to finish out the year at 500 miles too.

Very briefly contemplated doing the local half after reading about it in the paper, then thought the better of it, especially after this week. I'll also need to save up money to do a race sometime before the Goofy for corral placement.So probably a morning run tomorrow, then the beach later!

Reactions: Bare Lee
half mile intervals for speed today - (or so, it's a .56 mile lap)
after a half mile warm up, I managed these splits, with a half mile easier pace in between each:
7:30 mm pace
7:40 mm pace
even made the dog actually run!
5.04 miles total, 56 degrees, but chill wind, bare feet, no blood.
was happy that I didn't fell exhausted during the recovery laps :D and I feel good now!

Ran 7.31 miles with my "run spouse" this morning to finish the month with 116.87 miles. I still haven't finished the week, but it will probably be just over 30 miles.

Ran 7.31 miles with my "run spouse" this morning to finish the month with 116.87 miles.
Gosh, so many questions! What is a "run spouse"? Where can I get one? Is it difficult to maintain a "run spouse" as compared to a "spouse"? Does a "run spouse" require unique care or a special diet? Is a "run spouse" compatible with a "spouse", or must they be kept separate? Thanks!

Thursday night, I was sound asleep by 8pm, then Jujú (junior in African Portuguese) started rapping on my head to wake me and play with him. That began a coughing fit that only ended a few hours later. Then I woke up at 2am coughing some more. Two ice cream bars, a bunch of Halls cough drops, and a pitcher of water seemed to take care of it by 4am.

So I decided it was best to forgo the running yesterday and take this thing seriously until it’s gone. I was just losing time fighting it. Too bad though, the temps were quite pleasant. Plus, I noticed that my left knee felt completely normal all day Friday, for the first time in almost two months. Not just pain-free, but that vague 'something there, not quite right' feeling was gone too. Maybe the extra attention to squats and other hip, butt, and quad exercises was already paying dividends. Hard to say. In any event, I decided to celebrate with a nice slab of New York Strip and a bottle of Barefoot Zinfandel, with a Summit IPA for desert.

Last night I slept cough-free. Dutchie's bug-drowning remedy works!

Today, more squats, deadlifts, leg raises, ab-/ad- duction, donkey kicks, physioball, jumping rope, step-ups, etc., in lieu of running. My new softball is also a nice addition to my massage tool arsenal--great for the glutes!

Tomorrow I begin running again. Lord, please bless me with the same patience in building up my running this holiest of months as my children must muster and manifest in anticipation of gift grabbing/gauging on Christmas Eve. I'm hoping to get back up to seven miles on my weekly long-n-steady run this month, and then add one mile to it each of the succeeding months in 2013. But dammit, I want to go out and run 20 miles today!

Reactions: theshortwhiteguy
half mile intervals for speed today - (or so, it's a .56 mile lap)
after a half mile warm up, I managed these splits, with a half mile easier pace in between each:
even made the dog actually run!
5.04 miles total, 56 degrees, but chill wind, bare feet, no blood.
was happy that I didn't fell exhausted during the recovery laps :D and I feel good now!
Nice paces! Do you have a system for varying your intervals, or do you just go by feel? I like to do 440, 880, and mile intervals, but I'm not sure how to organize them. Do a bit of each one on my track day? Do just one type per workout? I guess it doesn't really matter, but if you have any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them. Tomorrow I was thinking of trying two one-mile intervals, two 880s, and four 440s.

6.71 miles this morning, 32.8 miles this week.

13.1 mi minshod. I die now...

Edit: I mean uh... cool off, shower, get some blueberry pancakes with whipped cream, maybe watch Life of Pi. Yeah, that's it.

I ended up starting out 3 hrs later than usual, and it ended up being about 15-20 degrees hotter than my runs for the past month. Low 70s, sunny, didn't bring water, too stubborn to run home. Stuck to the shade, explored some parts of the neighborhood that I'd never seen before, all in all okay until about mile 11. Those last 2 miles, felt like my first 2 miles years ago. Started out thinking I was going to go for 14mi today, but I was close to home and didn't want to run another circle around the local streets. Anyway that's 59mi for the week, a PR. Not sure that I'm planning to do that ever again.

Nice paces! Do you have a system for varying your intervals, or do you just go by feel? I like to do 440, 880, and mile intervals, but I'm not sure how to organize them. Do a bit of each one on my track day? Do just one type per workout? I guess it doesn't really matter, but if you have any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them. Tomorrow I was thinking of trying two mile intervals, two 880s, and four 440s.
No system. When my husband was organizing our interval workouts, he had me do sets of increasing distance, i.e. 2 x 200s, then a 400, maybe an 800, then cycle through that 2 -3 times on the speed workout day, depending on how I felt. I just felt like trying to do a longer intervals this week and he told me just try to go harder and see how far I could make it. I like having a goal in sight, so the .56 loop was convenient. He is a great coach for me and told me about tempo runs before that book was published. He is always encouraging me to try to balance having fun with making progress that makes it even more fun. :)

This week's runs

Tuesday 5.9km
Thursday intervals 3x1km with 5' recovery between...total of 7.9km
Friday 8.2km
Sunday 11.2km

Total this week 33km, about 5% increase over previous week, slowly building !!

On the topic of interval, I try to keep some structure into it, by doing once a week intervals, but alternating (1 week 400m and the next week 800m)...This week I added the 1km, and in a few weeks, I'll push to 1.5km, this is to make it a little bit more interesting (and fun too !!)

OK, weekend wrapup:

Sunday - 10.something miles on the bike running errands
Monday - 21.56 mi cycle commute
Tuesday - 21.56 mi cycle commute
Wednesday - Nada
Thursday - Zero
Friday - Zip
Saturday - 4.3 Mi run.

Edit: I forgot to mention that today is the Lighting of the Christmas Tree in Millbrae, so I happened upon The Clauses. I think they were more surprised to see me than I was them...

Gosh, so many questions! What is a "run spouse"? Where can I get one? Is it difficult to maintain a "run spouse" as compared to a "spouse"? Does a "run spouse" require unique care or a special diet? Is a "run spouse" compatible with a "spouse", or must they be kept separate? Thanks!

My "run spouse" is also my "swim spouse" (for adult swim workouts in summer, 3 days per week, 6-8am). My "wife" and her "husband" are totally cool with it, since my wife doesn't run and her husband does run with me on the weekends in the summer (he's an athletic trainer at the local high school). We did have a "moment" running through our local park last month when we passed one of our fellow pool members (from behind) and she notices my "run spouse" then says "oh, that's so cute that your running with your husband". That was until I turned around and she realized who I was. :D

10 miles, 8 of which bf, 2 of which were an way rough chip seal w/ sandals. It was 55 degrees this afternoon, so I wore tank top and running skirt. CRAZY warm for this area this time of year. I feel real bad the polar bears aren't learnign to swim soon enough, but these nice mild "winters" are spoiling me.

30 minutes in the pool, but was able to stay swimming for longer time intervals. I am pleased.
Then a couple of hours of good ol rock n roll dancing in my leather bottom five fingers. Did have one calf start threatening to cramp, but still so fun!

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
He is always encouraging me to try to balance having fun with making progress that makes it even more fun. :)
Yah, that's key. I'm really enjoying the variety of mixing up endurance, stamina, and speed runs, but the minute it gets to feeling like a chore, I'll drop it and do what I feel like. Right now, that mix is what I feel like doing. The fact that it's recommended by almost all serious runners/trainers is gravy.

Reactions: happysongbird
OK, weekend wrapup:

Sunday - 10.something miles on the bike running errands
Monday - 21.56 mi cycle commute
Tuesday - 21.56 mi cycle commute
Wednesday - Nada
Thursday - Zero
Friday - Zip
Saturday - 4.3 Mi run.

Edit: I forgot to mention that today is the Lighting of the Christmas Tree in Millbrae, so I happened upon The Clauses. I think they were more surprised to see me than I was them...
Forgoing
the bouldering
I see.