Mileage Reporting 30th Week of 2013

oh, and i forgot: last night: ~2.5 mi walk with my boy while my daughter was at swim, gravel flat trails, sandals, interesting conversation.
on the way out: After my son found his ideal walking stick, he gave me a very short one, so we decided it was a magic wand instead, after which we took turns magically transforming each other into various animals and associated bizarre animal hybrids (dragon fly/goat stands out). At one point my son magically transformed me into a "whiny girl," which he later regretted, since it stuck, and because it's the part I was born to play, baby.
on the way back:
my son: I want to be a bird, mom.
me: why?
my son: so I can poop on people's heads while I fly. (no, being able to fly was not mentioned: this seemed to be the only goal of joining the avians).

also, we discussed the merits of drinking one's own urine in the event of imminent death from dehydration in the desert, but how poop is not ok to eat.

50 mins run.

I found it really hard going today, despite not having run since Saturday. Possibly because I clocked up 15000 steps on the pedometer shopping in Bristol with my daughter yesterday. I was having a hard time just getting my feet to leave the ground, couldn't do it at all in xeros but a bit better in bare feet. Did just .75 mile and hips and feet feel quite stiff.

Ran 6 miles even today in my monos. I really have a love hate relationship with these things. My foot that had been blistered up from these was doing fine and then I hit a puddle from a sprinkler about 3 miles in. My feet started sliding around on the sandal but as the sandal dried it got super duper sticky. Then I really started getting problems again on that foot. Now I have a blister in a blister. Errrrggggg. As much as I like the sandal itself, I don't really like the mgt footbed. As long as there is a sheen of dust on the sandal my foot is fine, but once that dust is washed off the sandal gets sticky again and causes problems. Not sure if I still have enough time left or not to send them back for mono's with a leather footbed... I do think I am going to mail my pacers in and have the new ats laces put on them though as I really dig the ease of use with the ats laces.

oh, and i forgot: last night: ~2.5 mi walk with my boy while my daughter was at swim, gravel flat trails, sandals, interesting conversation.
on the way out: After my son found his ideal walking stick, he gave me a very short one, so we decided it was a magic wand instead, after which we took turns magically transforming each other into various animals and associated bizarre animal hybrids (dragon fly/goat stands out). At one point my son magically transformed me into a "whiny girl," which he later regretted, since it stuck, and because it's the part I was born to play, baby.
on the way back:
my son: I want to be a bird, mom.
me: why?
my son: so I can poop on people's heads while I fly. (no, being able to fly was not mentioned: this seemed to be the only goal of joining the avians).

also, we discussed the merits of drinking one's own urine in the event of imminent death from dehydration in the desert, but how poop is not ok to eat.
This is a great story! :) I the kind of chat I'd have with my eldest. Made me smile! Thanks for sharing! :)

3 mile run tonight in my Bikilas. Great run! Pace was epic!! 7:32 per mile. I've been really working on my pace and it paid off tonight. My fastest consistent speed over distance. Tho my GPS on my phone was playin up. It said I'd run 5.5 miles instead of 3, said I ran a 4:40 p/m pace. This may settle the Garmin vs App debate...
I fast once a week (as in don't eat, not a mis-key of "I'm fast once a week" lol), and have taken to running on my fast days. Jason recommends it in Never Wipe... I've found it fantastic. I'm able to experience "the wall" before my first marathon etc but I've also found my pace is quicker on my fast days. A shock! I'd always avoided running on fast days as I figured it would be a bad thing to do. But it rocks! I just wake up starvin in the morning tho. Great run tonight! Good times!! And to think I wasn't even going to go out!

The whole early morning run things isn't working out so well...... Monday=zero, Tuesday=zero, Today 7.25 miles in 1 hour. Awesome temperature for a run tonight too, 69 degrees with low humidity.

Highlight of the night, 10 to 12 year old kid on a bike "How are you doing that without sneakers?????" He yells to his buddies about the same age, check this guy out...... how's he do that?

My reply, "It's easy, take your sneakers off and just run!"

The whole early morning run things isn't working out so well.
Morning exercise is great. Though, it takes a few weeks to get used to getting up early. I love having a good workout before my completely sedentary job. Apparently, I'm just too tired to work out after a day of sitting. Plus, in the morning, the gym, pool, roads are clear.

2 miles running and after 2 miles walking. Phisio again yesterday, still working on the hips. Also finally seem to be over my Garmin withdrawal, it is funny how many times I seem to look for it before heading out for a run. Now I just grab my roadid and hit the pavement. Also still trying out out the rhythmic breathing while running. That is a lot harder to do than I thought it would be, a little memory lapse and I would be right back at a even count.

Wednesday
9-10 miles bike commute

Wednesday afternoon
Upper back ST--mostly cable stuff--and deadlifts & power cleans. Good pump, although my traps seized up a bit on me while doing my seated rows. The danger of nearly everyday lifting I guess. Will have to stretch out more beforehand.

Had a rare case of sleeplessness last night so no morning run today. I blame it on not running yesterday morning.
The whole early morning run things isn't working out so well......
Hey don't say that! You and Runlite's reporting was one of the things that inspired me to consider morning runs again. I think it first started last year with Scedastic's reports of lovely moonlit runs on country roads. I think I learned yesterday that I just have to be hardcore about it and try to get in some kind of morning run no matter what so I don't break the rhythm. I had too much energy throughout the day and then my old friend insomnia paid a visit at night.

Morning exercise is great. Though, it takes a few weeks to get used to getting up early. I love having a good workout before my completely sedentary job. Apparently, I'm just too tired to work out after a day of sitting. Plus, in the morning, the gym, pool, roads are clear.
Yah, tru dat! I love the peace and quiet of the morning, and how I feel afterwards. And I'm surprised at how quickly my body has adapted to the new schedule, and how the midday drowsiness seems to have cleared up.

Nice paces Rick, Darkand, and Otoole!

Also finally seem to be over my Garmin withdrawal, it is funny how many times I seem to look for it before heading out for a run. Now I just grab my roadid and hit the pavement.
I was thinking of ditching the Garmin more often myself. The early morning running routine tends to restrict my route options, so I already know the distance, more or less, on a lot of runs, and don't really care about pace on the easy ones.
. . . interesting conversation . . .
We need to get our families together for a picnic. Let's meet halfway in Wisconsin.

The worst thing about the half-mile of running I did this morning is that it was so hard to stop. I just wanted to keep going and it felt like my awareness of myself and everything around me was expanding. After I stopped running and walked around to cool off, it felt like my feet were tingling in a really good way and the only problem was suppressing the urge to start running some more.

But it does seem that I've got a bit of tender pre-blister spot on the outside edge of the bottom of the left pinky toe. Does that mean I'm trying to push off with it and the left foot?

2 miles running and after 2 miles walking. Phisio again yesterday, still working on the hips. Also finally seem to be over my Garmin withdrawal, it is funny how many times I seem to look for it before heading out for a run. Now I just grab my roadid and hit the pavement. Also still trying out out the rhythmic breathing while running. That is a lot harder to do than I thought it would be, a little memory lapse and I would be right back at a even count.
Isn't a great feeling to free yourself of the gadgets? I only use mine on the weekend to only check my halfway distance I'll look at it once or twice before my turn around and when I finish to see how long it took me. Once in a while when I feel my legs spinning fast I take a peek at the pace so I know how much to slow down. I am running by time nowdays(I run on my lunch hr) cause all my marked routes are closed for road repairs or building something...:mad:

Reactions: dutchie53
The worst thing about the half-mile of running I did this morning is that it was so hard to stop. I just wanted to keep going and it felt like my awareness of myself and everything around me was expanding. After I stopped running and walked around to cool off, it felt like my feet were tingling in a really good way and the only problem was suppressing the urge to start running some more.

But it does seem that I've got a bit of tender pre-blister spot on the outside edge of the bottom of the left pinky toe. Does that mean I'm trying to push off with it and the left foot?
Might be a twisting motion in your foot as you push off. That is the same spot that seemed to remain tender on my feet. It will get better with time.

Thank you, now that you say that, that might be it. I'm a bit asymmetrical with my right side much stronger and more coordinated than the left, and I remember that when I would look at tread wear on my shoes, I would often see evidence of a somewhat twisty motion on the left shoe. Going to have to work on that and try to get more symmetrical.

congrats for not pushing it, it does take lots of self discipline and patience to stop on time and not overdoing it.
As far as the pinky toe issue I don;t think is anything to worry about as long as you don't over do it is just like your hands one is stronger than the other and maybe you're landing with a little force on that foot. That's what I think but I don't know anything:)

Reactions: Scratch
3 mile run tonight in my Bikilas. Great run! Pace was epic!! 7:32 per mile. I've been really working on my pace and it paid off tonight. My fastest consistent speed over distance. Tho my GPS on my phone was playin up. It said I'd run 5.5 miles instead of 3, said I ran a 4:40 p/m pace. This may settle the Garmin vs App debate...
I fast once a week (as in don't eat, not a mis-key of "I'm fast once a week" lol), and have taken to running on my fast days. Jason recommends it in Never Wipe... I've found it fantastic. I'm able to experience "the wall" before my first marathon etc but I've also found my pace is quicker on my fast days. A shock! I'd always avoided running on fast days as I figured it would be a bad thing to do. But it rocks! I just wake up starvin in the morning tho. Great run tonight! Good times!! And to think I wasn't even going to go out!

Interesting experiment Darkand, keep us posted on if your results are consistent. I've never had enough self discipline to try it myself. Ton of good advice in Jason's books.

On that note, everyone, a lot of good running topics, or tidbits of advice, are discussed in this thread. Let's get some of them out in the main forum for discussion.

Recently I still use my Garmin but don't watch it and try to run my target heart rate by feel...I'm starting to get close within 3 Hbeat's the last few runs...one was under but all the others were over.