Mileage Reporting 30th Week of 2013

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Sunday afternoon
4-5 miles bike commute & Zone 4 ST, mid & lower back.

I was going to do intervals down at the jhs track, cycling back home from my office, but when I got there I saw it was filled with soccer and baseball players and their kinfolk, so I cycled up two of my neighborhood's steepest hills on the way home, to get a little quad burn, and then did the strength training workout I missed last week. My wife and son watched me for half of it. My son, just two and four months old, startled a bit when I grunted while doing my landmines. (Nick, btw, that platform I bought works fine now. I just needed to loosen up a bolt.)

Overall, a great pump.

Then I had a nice barefoot stroll with my son to the local mom & pop shop to buy some pork ribs and other dinner supplies, splashed around a bit with him in the kiddie pool, and then had dinner out on the deck, as it had cooled down a lot over the weekend.

Hmmn, I just realized I did a triathlon Sunday.

Monday morning.
Slept in until 6am. Did my hills workout. I call it the Bourne Verticality, because it's just running up my neighborhood's steepest hill, down the other side, and then back over again, on a street named Bourne. I did five repeats, running in the 10-11 mm range going up the steep, long side, which is about 800 feet with a 9% grade, and then running 8-8:30 pace going up the shallow, shorter side, which is about 300 feet. Then I ran up the shallow side 6-7 more times at close to an all-out sprint, which for me, is about 6-6:30mm pace. Man, did that feel good. That's the first time I've really opened it up since getting back into running this time around. I can't believe people run even faster than that for the length of a marathon.

3.17 miles total, felt like doing more, but I want to see how my feet and legs react to the 'sprinting'. I like the way this workout combines hill repeats and sprints without really having to think about it. Maybe I'll just do this workout twice a week, in addition to my regular runs, and forgo intervals down on the track altogether . . .

sunday:
housework and cooking in am

tried to go swim but the aquatic center was closed for swim meets. drove an hour to get there and the beach is near by, so took the kids on a hike out there again.
the water was calmer than before and a bit cooler, but clear and pretty. this beach has no rocks, and the shallow part goes on and on. the only problem was the myriad of boats up and down the shore. any longer swim would have had me dodging rich people in floaties and their boats and their little dogs.
That's not so important, since I can't figure out how to "crab" while swimming. I need to angle myself in such a way that I"m not always washing up on shore or heading out to drunk people on boats. Anyhow, I did the equivalent of, duh, I don't know, some laps but not a whole workout, with breaks to figure out where i was and to watch kids.
The kids were tired and crabby, which reminded me that I was tired and crabby, so even though we were in near beach paradise, we went home after just a half hour or so.Blech.

bike ride 8 mi evening, slow and easy

monday:
swim 45 min (late out the door so no full hour)
run a while, STG for once, on the sweet pavement on campus. no idea time or distance. felt sorta like a 5k?
a smattering of weights at the gym for a few minutes.

50 min run on a hilly route and I just realized that I had only one stinky run last week precisely on Monday:woot:

16 miles on the road bike in 58:40, which is very satisfactory for me. I even feel like I'm getting more sense of balance on the bike and had several fast spurts with my hands down on the speedy, lower part of the handle bars!

Then, dear hubby took me out for speed workout. Warm up ½ mile, the ¼ mile hard, followed by ¼ recovery x3. What thrilled me was to get home and view the Garmin data which said my fast pace averaged about 7 mm, but a few times I dipped down below to places like 6:45 and 6:36 AND my slowest running pace was 9:30. I almost stopped to walk after the 2nd interval, but decided I still wanted to run. Total run was 3.1, because we finished it up to make that distance.

Walked the dog with hubby and girls for about 1.5 miles in my Moc3s after that around the low water shore of the local reservoir, dead fish, icky gnats, and stinky mud.

AND my knee is feeling very close to normal again.

splashed around a bit with him in the kiddie pool, and then had dinner out on the deck, as it had cooled down a lot over the weekend.

Hmmn, I just realized I did a triathlon Sunday.
I'm not saying you're not working hard, but I'm not going to be able to give you full credit for the swim... ;)

13.4km/8.3mi, no specific target/pace, just a nice run....

It was 8C/46F with a windchill of about 5C/39F...

Thats about the coldest we had so far, but it did not bother me too much, given that it is a very sunny day !

Almost 14 miles yesterday at an easy pace - totally delightful as the temperature had dropped from last week's highs and there was a dry North wind. Autumn isn't too far away!

Back to the sweat box today with 90+% humidity but lower temperatures - the humidity is good for the skin I'm told!

Slowly converting the early morning walk over to running. Ran about 600 yards of it today, just concentrating on easy pace and light feet. It felt good, running barefoot is so much more sensory than running in shoes, and it amazes me how fast my feet can react to those larger stray pebbles on top of chip-seal which are hard to see in the early morning overcast light. Maybe that's why Ken Bob recommends learning to run on gravel -- your feet have to spring lightly off stuff to survive.

The frustrating thing right now is keeping myself reigned in. Every time I stopped and went back to walking, it wasn't because I was breathing hard or that things were feeling tired, it was just because I would tell myself to be careful with the bones, tendons, and ligaments. Right now I feel very confident that if I stepped out the door I could go out there and run a mile, easy, no problems with the cardio. But the problem is how much stress would that put on the underdeveloped structures of my feet and if they could recover well enough by Thursday.

Monday
3-mile bike commute

Monday afternoon
Zone 1 ST - Chest and Biceps

The bench press felt heavy, so I maxed out at 175. I guess I was still recovering from my excellent Mid-back ST workout on Sunday. Everything else went OK though.

Tuesday morning
6 mi / 9.7 km

I got up 10-15 minutes before 5am. Really didn't feel like running, but I gained motivation while sitting on the throne, even though I began the movement trying to think of ways to get the run in later in the day. I guess voiding my bowels cleared my thoughts and I could see how good I would feel after the run. And sure enough, I felt good as soon as I hit the pavement, and set off on a nice easy pace.

Around the halfway mark my calves started to feel tight, so I thought about stopping to clown around (i.e., stretch), but after a bit more the tightness left. I ran a couple of blocks out of my way heading back home to get in six miles exactly. That's such a nice distance for me, I guess I'll make that the cut-off for mezzo runs.

I wore both my Garmins to see how well they synced up, and they were within one second of each other for the overall pace, and the distances just .01 miles different. I'm kind of regretting getting the F10 though. I miss the greater functionality of the F205. Still, the F10 is fine for these basic, continuous runs, and I like how light it is, and how easy it is to see the display.

The temp was 66F - perfect running weather, and the moon close to full, so I left my new headlamp at home. I ran the length of dawn basically, starting out in pure moonlight and ending just before the sun could be seen over the horizon. Lovely.

I think part of the reason my calves have been a bit tight lately is that I have more of a forefoot landing when there's little light, in order to deal with the unseen pebbles and debris. Could also be that I'm a little dehydrated first thing in the morning, so I downed 12 ounces of water this morning before heading out.

Anyway, still loving the early morning runs. I think I've lost two pounds since last week. My first weigh-in on my new scale, at 215 lbs last Monday, was probably off, but I read on an Amazon review how to recalibrate it, so I did that. Last Tuesday I was 219, this morning I'm 217.2, so the split workouts--morning run, afternoon strength-training--plus the added bicycle commuting, seem to be boosting my metabolism enough to create an overall caloric deficit. Feels pretty good to be losing weight again after almost a whole year of treading water in the 220-222 range. I had given up on getting down to 200, but perhaps it might still be possible . . .

I'm not saying you're not working hard, but I'm not going to be able to give you full credit for the swim... ;)
That's OK, at least you were kind enough to credit the stroll as my run . . .

Seriously though, I'm really envious of you swimmers. Maybe someday if I have easy access to water I'll teach myself how to swim better. Right now I'm one notch above beginner. Swimming is so cool, and I like how graceful a good swimmer looks. Pretty trippy to think that we humans have taught ourselves this trick despite having no anatomical adaptions for it. Kind of the opposite of running.

That's OK, at least you were kind enough to credit the stroll as my run . . .

Seriously though, I'm really envious of you swimmers. Maybe someday if I have easy access to water I'll teach myself how to swim better. Right now I'm one notch above beginner. Swimming is so cool, and I like how graceful a good swimmer looks. Pretty trippy to think that we humans have taught ourselves this trick despite having no anatomical adaptions for it. Kind of the opposite of running.

I credit your swim, but i'm an easy grader.

swimming is so......INVENTED.
When I think of the four competitive strokes, I think how historical it is (and in fact from my research the 'proper' technique has changed over time) and when is someone going to improve/add to these inventions?
Who is to say it can't be you in the kiddie pool? eh?

40 mins of stairs, dips and push ups followed by 10 mins of back stretches.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test