Favorite Cereal?

Decided after a week of eating cereal every day for a week that cereal does not cut it for me. Going back to my all fruit breakfasts. By 11am every day this week I have been feeling like I was "bonking" and would start shaking terribly. This was without me running or doing anything strenuous either. Mostly sitting on my bottom in the mornings. Never felt that way once while eating all fruit breakfasts. I would go for 2-3 hours runs after eating all fruit breakfast and would never feel this way. Amazing the power of fruit.

Don't Skip Breakfast!

Granola

6 cups rolled oats, 9 cups of nuts (your choice, almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower, chia seed), 1 t. salt, 2 T. vanilla extract, 1 c. canola oil (trader joe’s sells chemical free canola oil) 1 c. honey/molasses/agave syrup, 4 T. cinnamon, dash cloves. Mix well! This recipe is very forgiving, you can change lots of things, just don’t forget the salt or it tastes flat.
Heat oven to 350, spread mix on baking sheet, preferably two. Toast for 30 mins, mixing every 6-7 minutes.
When cool, add raisins or dried fruit. VERY good with almond milk.

It's a little pricey to make because of all the nuts, but hey, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
Chris, a few months back I had switched to eating only fruits for breakfast and I noticed a huge power surge when running. At the time I did not notice the lack of "bonk" feeling at all. It wasn't until I started eating all the granola cereals this week again because I was trying to be cheap that I noticed how bad I felt when I do eat cereal for breakfast. When eating fruit breakfasts, I really don't have to eat until late in the evening again, even when I run for a couple hours in between. With cereals, I MUST eat within a couple hours or I start feeling like I am going to pass out and I get the shakes really bad. This happens to me with eggs and breads to. Weird how that works. I don't think I could become a complete fruitarian like that guy you referenced, but you can't beat fruit for breakfast. It starts your whole day off on the right foot, or left foot if you wish. :D

Homemade Granola and Greek yogurt all the way. Breakfast of champions.

Going to try that recipe Sara. Does it work if you reduce the oil or sweeteners? I am guessing that you need the oil and molasses to "stick" the pieces together otherwise it would be crumbs. Any oil or sweetener replacements? Maybe flax meal? Let's get cooking.

Anyone making homemade energy bars? Start a new thread.

With cereals, I MUST eat within a couple hours or I start feeling like I am going to pass out and I get the shakes really bad. This happens to me with eggs and breads to. Weird how that works. I don't think I could become a complete fruitarian like that guy you referenced, but you can't beat fruit for breakfast. It starts your whole day off on the right foot, or left foot if you wish. :D
I have the same issue. I normally have porridge and honey, with raisins, for breakfast and the number of days I have to head to the corner bodega for bacon and egg on a bagel after my run to work are legion. Maybe I'll have to go with fruit for breakfast.

Mike's reports there were from 2010, last year he won the Vermont 100 and was fourth in the Leadville 100. He's quite accomplished!

definitely you can play around with the oil and sweet. The recipe actually started as 6 c oats and 3 c nuts, but I upped the nuts. I used to only put in 1/2 oil, but the crunch is better with more. The sweet could go down, but it adds moisture and stickiness. Let me know how you go with it. I just downloaded an energy bar recipe:

2 2/3 c rye oats
1/3 c flax seed meal
2 med bananas, mashed
1/3 c applesauce
1/2 c dried cranberries
2/3 c chopped nuts
cinnamon
1 T honey
1 T maple syrup
1 t molasses
1 egg

mix dry stuff, add wet stuff, combine well, flatten onto greased cookie sheet to 1/3" think, cook 15-20 mins, 350 degrees, cut into bars.
Disclaimer - haven't tried it yet.

Sounds good. I'll try it out.

Nick - I find that any grain will not last for long with me, no matter how much I eat, unless I add fruit or nut butter. I am a grazer and eat small amounts all day long. I just hate the empty feeling. I also don't eat a good breakfast even though most nutritionists say to. I'll have coffee and nibble on something, run, and then eat a larger portion at about 11 am.

Amazing the power of fruit.

The power of fruit - Love it

Many a day I've had nothing but fresh fruit and nuts for breakfast and felt great.

Wheaties with Budweiser...ramzev FTW

Multigrain Cheerios, Kix and Life...all cereals I can't get in Germany. :( Oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a bit of coconut oil is pretty darn good too, though.

I think this might be one of those conventional wisdom things that could use re examination. I have tried doing a quasi warrior diet for a month or so (not paleo) where I ate twice a day around 4:30 pm 8 PM and it worked quite well.

Whoa. That's crazy talk. I think 5 meals a day is optimum. I manage 4 at the moment and would like to break up my evening meal into 2 but just don't have the time.

Reactions: Barfuß Chelsea
I can see eating twice a day, but I would think you would want to eat in the morning and then in the evening. Actually, I know for a fact that's how I myself would have to do it. Otherwise I would start shaking so bad I would look like I have Parkinsons, no offense meant to anyone. I have to eat in the mornings and am actually thinking about trying the two meals a day just to see how I do with it. Lunch seems to be my unhealthiest meal of the day so am thinking about just cutting it out. I have tried the eating 5-6 times a day and I tend to put on weight doing that because I have no self control to the amounts I eat and so I end up eating way too many calories in a day. If I'm still hungry I continue eating. I've read of numerous people doing this so I'm curious if this can work for me.

Your digestive system takes a huge amount of energy and focus from your body. Eating throughout the day means your digestive system is "on" to some extent almost all the time. Fasting (or mini fasting) has some benefits. People often lose their appetite when they get ill, partially so your body can focus on fighting infection instead of digesting food. Periodic fasting is often done on purpose for healing (and is common across cultures). Toxins can be released from digested fat cells causing some fasters to experience "highs" from drugs they haven't done in years. Fasting often causes warmness and inflammation in old injuries that never properly healed.

From what I understand the warrior (and paleo) diet is trying to get us to eat how we evolved to. We didn't evolve with supermarkets and sometimes had to go without food. Our bodies know how to convert between fat and sugar, but modern bodies might be a bit out of practice as we are addicted to carbs. Skipping a meal or two should not make you shakey or feel feint - your body should be making more glucose from your long term storage...

Eating in the morning and evening would ruin the benefit of letting your digestive system rest. I actually was much more hungry for lunch when I ate breakfast as opposed to when I had nothing (after adjusting the first few days).

See it's pretty easy for me to skip lunch as long as I eat fruits only for breakfast. If I eat cereal or sometimes even meat products I have to eat again for lunch. Not sure why that is exactly. Also, my family has a history of hypo or hyperglycemia. Can't remember which. As long as I eat right in the morning and at night I can seem to counter act this and don't have a problem.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7