Favorite Cereal?

I thought that if you only ate 1 or 2 meals a day your metabolism would slow to a crawl. If you eat smaller, more frequent meals, your body "knows" it doesn't need to store the energy you consume, and can burn it off. Yes, your digestive system stays "on" most of the day, but only at a low level and it keeps your body from storing everything you eat as fat. The book "Younger Next Year" is very good on this topic (and very humorous as well). It goes into a lot of the recent science on the topic.

Nature's Path Organic Heritage Flakes. They contain kamut, khorasan wheat (some sort of ancient unmodified wheat), oats, spelt, barley, millet and quinoa. It is AWESOME! They also make cornflakes. I avoid corn for the most part -but I LOVE cornflakes!

I thought that if you only ate 1 or 2 meals a day your metabolism would slow to a crawl. If you eat smaller, more frequent meals, your body "knows" it doesn't need to store the energy you consume, and can burn it off. Yes, your digestive system stays "on" most of the day, but only at a low level and it keeps your body from storing everything you eat as fat. The book "Younger Next Year" is very good on this topic (and very humorous as well). It goes into a lot of the recent science on the topic.

Here is my theory about this. I have concluded their is a difference between males and females with regard to this and of course it goes way back. I think that women need to eat several small meals a day, but that men can get away with a couple of meals a day, and the end result is more or less the same for both sexes. Since chicks were more of the gathering aspect of the sexes, they were able to snack througout the day as they gathered up berries, roots, etc. Whereas men were out hunting and days may have passed without significant food, and then they would suddenly catch something and be starving and of course chow down on whatever they caught, and then drug it back home over several days -and not eating more of it until they got it home and the chicks and kidlets could eat their share. And THEN they would chow down again.

Chris, a few months back I had switched to eating only fruits for breakfast and I noticed a huge power surge when running. At the time I did not notice the lack of "bonk" feeling at all. It wasn't until I started eating all the granola cereals this week again because I was trying to be cheap that I noticed how bad I felt when I do eat cereal for breakfast. When eating fruit breakfasts, I really don't have to eat until late in the evening again, even when I run for a couple hours in between. With cereals, I MUST eat within a couple hours or I start feeling like I am going to pass out and I get the shakes really bad. This happens to me with eggs and breads to. Weird how that works. I don't think I could become a complete fruitarian like that guy you referenced, but you can't beat fruit for breakfast. It starts your whole day off on the right foot, or left foot if you wish. :D

You know what is weird? Me! Bwwwahahahahaaa! I have the exact opposite reaction of you if I eat fruits for breakfast. If fruit is all I eat for breakfast, after about two hours I have a sudden drop in blood sugar and get all shaky and naseous. You must have hyperglycemia and I must have hypoglycemia -or vice versa- cuz I never remember the difference either. :) BTW -with regard to insulin, your body treats natural sugar the exact same way it does refined sugar. All diabetics that I know have to avoid high glycemic fruits such as bananas, etc. The lowest glycemic fruits are strawberries and watermelon.

You know what is weird? Me! Bwwwahahahahaaa! I have the exact opposite reaction of you if I eat fruits for breakfast. If fruit is all I eat for breakfast, after about two hours I have a sudden drop in blood sugar and get all shaky and naseous. You must have hyperglycemia and I must have hypoglycemia -or vice versa- cuz I never remember the difference either. :) BTW -with regard to insulin, your body treats natural sugar the exact same way it does refined sugar. All diabetics that I know have to avoid high glycemic fruits such as bananas, etc. The lowest glycemic fruits are strawberries and watermelon.
I think my mom has hyperglycemia if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure if it is hereditary or anything. I eat a banana everyday with raspberries, and red, black, and green grapes. Leaves me feeling great until evening when I am hungry again. I think I eat lunch sometimes just because it's trained into me to eat it from society. I'm rarely hungry at lunch time but I make myself eat because I've always heard the eat 5-6 times a day rule. Maybe that's why I get the afternoon crash, because I've filled myself up too much? I dunno, but it is very interesting to me. Kind of looking forward to my experiment next week of only eating twice a day, cancelling out lunch.

I think my mom has hyperglycemia if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure if it is hereditary or anything. I eat a banana everyday with raspberries, and red, black, and green grapes. Leaves me feeling great until evening when I am hungry again. I think I eat lunch sometimes just because it's trained into me to eat it from society. I'm rarely hungry at lunch time but I make myself eat because I've always heard the eat 5-6 times a day rule. Maybe that's why I get the afternoon crash, because I've filled myself up too much? I dunno, but it is very interesting to me. Kind of looking forward to my experiment next week of only eating twice a day, cancelling out lunch.
You know, the better I eat, the less hungry I am. I still eat three meals a day, but lately they have become smaller and smaller. I guess that makes sense cuz the fewer simple carbs I eat and the more fiber I eat, naturally decreases my appetite. Well, except for those twinkies. Lol. But I could actually skip lunch if I wanted to. I don't eat lunch because I'm hungry. Which is weird.

I was trying to find a picture I had of my normal breakfast, but I think it's only on FB. It's a pretty generous bowl of fruit that is awesomely good. I can't wait till the little watermelons come back in to season because I will add those in, it's also cheaper to buy whole watermelon and cut it up myself.

Reactions: jldeleon
As a kid, I liked Cocoa Pebbles...with extra sugar for that glucose high. Nowadays - when I do eat cereal - I prefer Kashi Go Lean. BUT be careful! A bowl of that stuff and a couple cups of coffee will leave you indesposed for a bit. You'll start calling that stuff Kashi "Go Lean over the toilet and shit twice your body weight"

Ye gods.

Reactions: jldeleon
You must have hyperglycemia and I must have hypoglycemia -or vice versa- cuz I never remember the difference either.

Hypoglycemia --> low blood sugar (remember: "hypo" and "low" both have "o"s in them...)

Hyperglycemia --> high blood sugar (remember: "hypo" and "low" both have "o"s in them...OK, so Idon't have a pneumonic for hyperglycemia...report me to the AMA, why don't you! :D )

Crracklin' Oat Bran, and Oh's!!! Those are da BOMB diggity!

I'm trying NickW's plan with the fruit this morning. An orange, a banana, and several strawberries, plus a glass of almond milk (no sugar). We'll see how I feel later on. I'll still take a sandwich and another orange to work, but I may only eat the orange later.

I'm trying NickW's plan with the fruit this morning. An orange, a banana, and several strawberries, plus a glass of almond milk (no sugar). We'll see how I feel later on. I'll still take a sandwich and another orange to work, but I may only eat the orange later.
Goodluck Patrick! I can't eat oranges, they tear up my stomach pretty bad. I am usually pretty full after I eat breakfast, so hopefully you made sure you hit the full feeling. Not overfull mind you, just full. Curious as to how you do with it so I hope you'll keep us posted. I eat a banana, bowl of grapes (red, black, and some green), and a few raspberries which really is quite a lot. Makes me feel good all day though.

Welp, kinda screwed that up. I forgot we had some people coming in giving a presentation this morning with breakfast. Breakfast casserole with sausage and cheese, quiche, OJ, milk. Man that casserole was tasty. ;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts