Mileage Reporting 34nd Week of 2013

You are getting some good swimming time! I did a mini-triathlon once wherein one leg cramped up and I had to let it hang and only kick gently with the other leg. Luckily the swim was only 1/4 mile!

Yeah, I now often have this feeling that I could just keep on going and going with swim. However, as with running, I'm quite slow, especially on longer intervals.
Lately I have tried actually timing myself and working harder on the shorter intervals, which may help.
On the other hand, I'm just grateful I finally got continuous breathing figured out.

As for cramping, it seems as though I only get cramps at certain times: 1. after I've been swimming for at least 45 min or so, 2. kicking off the wall, or 3. kicking hard while wearing fins (my fins are even shorter than most "short" fins out there, but they still extend my feet nicely and work my legs harder, however they pinch my toes after only a few laps, so I have to be careful with them)
I have been able to "shake" off a cramp while swimming a few times. In general, though, I've had to stop and massage/stretch thoroughly before I can go on.
I'm amazed you were able to continue swimming with a hamstring cramp. Hard core toughing it out.

Thursday, late morning
Lower body ST make-up session for missed workout yesterday, with some of the upper body stuff leftover from Monday's weak-a$$ workout. Last weekend's getaway really put me behind, exercise-wise.
We were really hoping for something maybe Donald/Aurora area (this is where the inlaws are), but really that's like 10 minutes from here or less on the back roads so we can't complain at all.
I think I've used this sage proverb once before, but it bears repeating: a mother-in-law should live far enough away that she can't show up in slippers, but not so far that she shows up with suitcases. I think ten minutes is a pretty good distance.
I've sometimes pondered the idea that they are pretty easy protein to nab, but I just can't quite bring myself to get past the thought of the slime. I'd probably need someone to trick me, cook them up, cut them up and serve them in an unidentifiable form.

My wife used to make a nice sauce out of them, all cut up, kind of like what she does with chicken gizzards. I think garlic and lemon are key.
And besides, it's just wrong, wrong to interrupt a happy couple mid-hump.
Yes, but they're extra juicy that way. You have to take the Chinese approach--the more rare or perverse, the yummier.

Lol, no whinning been stupid busy lately. I am trying to get back on more regularly.
Is nice to have you back and I hear you about been stupid bussy I am on the same boat at the moment.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
You're going to love me in the wintertime when the days are windy. If there's one thing I detest more than heat and humidity, it's wind. Although I should give some credit to that one windy day where thanks to it blowing pretty steady at least 25 mph, it meant that I ran a certain uphill section of a route faster than it took me going down it on the way out. It almost felt like I floated up that hill that day. Still, overall, that wind sucked. Damn wind.
Oh boy looking forward to it:depressed:

Yes, but they're extra juicy that way. You have to take the Chinese approach--the more rare or perverse, the yummier.
That's soo discusting Lee:yuck:

Oh, I forgot 50 mins run with lots of hills.

If you are going to eat snails, I think you are supposed to keep them in a bucket for a while and feed them on nice stuff like herbs to give them a good taste and get rid of any yucky or poisonous stuff they have eaten. Let us know how it goes. I remember reading that in a Readers Digest in the old days when it was the most interesting thing you ever got to read. My teacher in Infant school used to bring them in for me because I was such a precocious child:smug:. Anyone else remember the 'I am John's...bodypart' series? Ran 2.8 miles over the common - in Sockwas as it is very stony though I took them off a couple of times when I got to bf-able bits. I would really like to be able to run at a steady pace, but it seems compulsory for me to hit max heart rate and have to walk for part of every .25 mile, so overall I average about 14-15 min pace, though the running bits are more like 11-12 min. Am seriously thinking of doing the parkrun 5k on Saturday, but looking at the results I could be in the last 5 or so.

If you are going to eat snails, I think you are supposed to keep them in a bucket for a while and feed them on nice stuff like herbs to give them a good taste and get rid of any yucky or poisonous stuff they have eaten. Let us know how it goes. I remember reading that in a Readers Digest in the old days when it was the most interesting thing you ever got to read. My teacher in Infant school used to bring them in for me because I was such a precocious child:smug:. Anyone else remember the 'I am John's...bodypart' series? Ran 2.8 miles over the common - in Sockwas as it is very stony though I took them off a couple of times when I got to bf-able bits. I would really like to be able to run at a steady pace, but it seems compulsory for me to hit max heart rate and have to walk for part of every .25 mile, so overall I average about 14-15 min pace, though the running bits are more like 11-12 min. Am seriously thinking of doing the parkrun 5k on Saturday, but looking at the results I could be in the last 5 or so.
Who cares if you finish last you might even get a price for it, go and have fun:)

Reactions: happysongbird
The last 5 is a fine place if you enjoy the run and race environment. I do. It's fun to meet everyone and everyone encourages each other. Who knows? Maybe you'd run into another barefooter!!??

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
2.5 miles running .5 cool down walk. Felt comfortable, it's been about 10 weeks now without garmin, and all other monitors, and it feels great. I'm not saying I will never use them again, if I am running somewhere long where I've never run before I might. Like Lee said, I feel much more relaxed running this way and I've ran most of the routes here for 15 years so most of the distances are known to me. Works for me and might work for you. :)

Sunday: 2.1 miles on a steep, rocky trail in my Fivefingers. Today: 5.35 mile hike in the Fivefingers with my wife and dog. I ran quite a bit, but stopped a lot to let my wife catch up. I did a TEENY bit barefooted, but it was pretty rocky and rooty, so I gave up on that pretty quickly. I saw some actual BEAR footprints, though! I've lived in Colorado and Wyoming since '79, and these were the first bear tracks I've seen (although I have seen a few bears, and one set of mountain lion tracks before). When we got home, I ran .81 miles around the neighborhood barefooted to make up for being so tender on the trail.

Well, maybe that leopard outfit will keep them at bay :D !

Magpies are very agressive during the nesting period....

And I also get chased by the swallows (even though they are just circling around me while I pass close to their nest)

redwinged blackbirds get weird sometimes, too. I learned that when one got crazy after the nest emptied and would regularly swoop and attack anyone. I jokingly called it my guard bird, since it chased away a fair share of unwanted visitors.

Somewhere in between 7km and 4 1/2 miles on the beach this morning. No swooping magpies (or plovers, they do that too), but I did have a run-in with a playful dog that tried to jump on me a few times after I ran past his owner.

I didn't realise it was meant to be windy, but I had a nasty head-wind on the way out. 5:15 kms on the way out and 4:40s on the way back. I found myself bending over at the hips a bit when I was plodding into the wind, so I had to take my own advice about being more upright and try to focus a little more than usual.

Had a great nerd moment when I looked at my watch at the 3.14km mark and thought "Hey, that's Pi!".

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts