Mileage Reporting 34nd Week of 2013

16 miles yesterday - the first 7 by myself at about 8 minute pace, the next 5 with 2 friends at about 10 minute pace and the last 4 back at about 8 with one charge up a half-mile of gentle hill being pursued by some ragged-breathing shod guy, at about 6 minute pace, who hadn't liked being passed by a barefoot dude.

A good run!

some ragged-breathing shod guy

That reminded me of a 5K race I did at the end of 2008. It started off mostly downhill and maybe somewhere after a 1/4 mile I noticed that there was a guy with a scary-breathing sound. Huurrrrrrh, huuuurrhhhh, hurrrrrrh. I sped up to get away. He kept after me. His breathing was so scary sounding you just didn't want to be within earshot. Huuuurhhhh, huuuurrrrhh, huuuuurrrhhh. I kicked it up even more but wasn't able to finally drop him til we hit the long uphill that started around a mile into the race.

I think I ran the rest of the way scared and got a PR maybe thanks to that.

(sorry for the typo "34nd" in the thread tittle - can an admin fix it?)
People around here are very creative with their grammar and word generation. It may catch on!

2.08 miles in my monos on flat flat ground. I think this was my first run in a week. Felt way off. Hopefully things will get better this week as we get more settled in. Avg'd a 10:52 pace.
Don't be hard on yourself. Let yourself ease back into it!

Reactions: NickW
Time to get back on the horse so to speak. Went for a quick 5km run at lunch today. Freakin' hot and a good stiff warm breeze (would of been happier with a good stiff drink instead, but say la vie). Got to get my rear end moving, lots of crazy races coming up in the next two months.

By the way glad to be back.

That reminded me of a 5K race I did at the end of 2008. It started off mostly downhill and maybe somewhere after a 1/4 mile I noticed that there was a guy with a scary-breathing sound. Huurrrrrrh, huuuurrhhhh, hurrrrrrh. I sped up to get away. He kept after me. His breathing was so scary sounding you just didn't want to be within earshot. Huuuurhhhh, huuuurrrrhh, huuuuurrrhhh. I kicked it up even more but wasn't able to finally drop him til we hit the long uphill that started around a mile into the race.

I think I ran the rest of the way scared and got a PR maybe thanks to that.
I have experienced this phenomena. One fellow admitted after the race that he was using me to pace himself, and it helped for a while, but he just couldn't keep up. (Of course, there were people I wasn't keeping up with either....)

Great 5 mile run at 4:45am, 79 deg., 58% rh... No animal siting today, heard 1 screech owl.

I had Monday off work yesterday, and planned on having a surf. However, the waves were big and the wind was wrong, so I wimped out and went for a run instead. I didn't intend on going too far, but somehow I ended up doing my 1st (or should that be 1nd?) ever barefoot 10km.

It sounds strange and a bit wanky, but my running mindset seems to have changed in the last month. I used to have to push myself to run, and now I'm starting to feel like I have to make myself stop, if that makes any sense. I keep on finding excuses to go 'just a little further'. This time around I ran around the streets, and took a few turns here and there to add distance. Mostly concrete, grass, and only the occasional gravel driveway to wake me up.

I didn't worry about pace, but I was happy to stop the clock a smidgeon under 50 minutes. My feet are tingly, but better than they were after Saturday's blister-fest. My knee is still a little kniggly, so I'm massaging madly in the hope that I can get it to settle down. I think I'll try to keep my long runs to around 10km or less for a while, as I'm really only working up to running a 12km fun run in November, and I want to make sure I have that covered.

Tri 2013 swim done.jpgTri 2013 mid bike.jpgTri 2013 run done.jpg
I splurged and bought the professional photos, but they were not available until after I had published my race report. I just get a kick out of the one of me coming out of the water. :D

Today I enjoyed an easy going swim, but I swam one interval of 30 minutes without any stops, which is a new record for me. Then I did some form drills using the mirror in the bottom of the pool for 15 minutes.
All followed by my new, ultra-simple strength training on the TRX.

Rare early evening run...temps back up in the 70's today...very humid. Ran the local roads to Harbins park and back...7 miles 9:06 m/m pace. I.m going run these roads more to get my feet conditioning better as these roads are rougher than any of the park pavement. Saw a small snake crossing the road...stayed far away from this one as it resembled a possible poisonous type.