Mileage Reporting 34nd Week of 2013

Lots of barefoot garden yoga, which included an ancient Chinese ritual of squishing green tomatoes between the toes, as well as contemplative cucumber picking during a thunder storm. My strength training routine employed the honorable spading fork for legs and upper back, then the dandelion weeder for biceps and triceps. I did have a couple of max lift moments getting 45 gallon bags of debris into the trash cans. Finally, I explored the inner circles of spin biking for 60 minutes.

Friday morning
2.59 mi / 4.168 km (are you happy now Reina de Drama?)
Bourne Hill Repeats & 'Sprints'
Medium to Low effort level
4:40 am start
Serious Moonlight
Then one-mile barefoot walk to work.

My hills workout is solidifying into a routine of five hill repeats (up the shallow side of Bourne Avenue hill, then recovery down the steep side, up the steep side, and then recovery down the shallow side), and then five 'sprints' (fast up the shallow side, then recovery back down it).

I wore my Garmin this morning and clicked the lap button after each repeat and sprint. Doing a repeat up and down both sides of the Bourne hill is exactly .4 miles, while doing a sprint up and down the shallow side is almost exactly 600 feet. And the short run to and from Bourne hill is pretty much exactly .2 miles.

Today I mistakenly thought I had done five hill repeats when it was actually four, so I ended up with about 2.6 miles, but if I add in another .4 miles for the missing repeat, it looks like five repeats, five sprints, and running to and from Bourne should equal almost exactly three miles. So, if I can keep better count in the future, there'll be no reason to bring the Garmin along on my hills run anymore, either. It'll always be three miles.

I like the idea of doing hills on my 'recovery' day better than a simple 2-3 miles through the neighborhood. I think the variety of hill repeats and sprints, with steep ascents and descents, and 3-4 different ranges of motion, may aid recovery more than a jaunt through my neighborhood's flatter sections and minor hills. Maybe just do one hills day per week at high-effort level, and then two or three at low-effort level, like today. Something like:

Sun: Hills--low effort
ST: Plyo & Mobility

Mon: Hills--high effort
ST: Upper body

Tu: Mezzo run

Wed: Hills--low effort
ST: Lower body

Thurs: Mezzo run

Fri: Hills--low effort
ST: Mid-body

Sat: Macro run

Or not.

It's starting to get squeezed for morning daylight some now. I might only have a couple of weeks left before I'll forced to move weekday running to the afternoons. It's always a bit painful to see the light disappearing.

I broke out into a run for about half a mile while walking and waking up. Saw that a unfortunate mouse had gotten squished on the road.

Friday morning
2.59 mi / 4.168 km (are you happy now Reina de Drama?)

quote]
Yes!!! it makes me very happy to see that you guys are doing your best on keeping it that way:D
Lee I also do either stairs workouts or hill repeats on some of my recovery days...isn't it wierd?

Reactions: Bare Lee
There must be a little German in you, with your love for exactitude
And yes, it's reassuring to find that you've found unconventional notions of what a recovery run should look like work for you too. Just like it was great to hear that DNECHris can run pretty much every day without any issues. If this all continues to work well for me, I think I should be up around 30 mpw fairly soon. I'm silently squealing with delight inside.

And yes, it's reassuring to find that you've found unconventional notions of what a recovery run should look like work for you too. Just like it was great to hear that DNECHris can run pretty much every day without any issues. If this all continues to work well for me, I think I should be up around 30 mpw fairly soon. I'm silently squealing with delight inside.
That's a nice way to put it "a little German" in me. Maybe being married to a German decendant has sometingh to do with it? probably not I have being like this since forever, then again there is this little thing called OCD:p.
"I am silently squealing with delight inside" I love that feeling myself but sadly, I only feel that way when I run long runs. Long runs of 16+ miles make me the happiest even if they are the most tiring.
And this year I haven't being able to build distance for one reazon or another. But I keep telling myself thay it could be worst and that at least I could something and better times still to come.

Yesterday--- 3.6 mile run in VFF's around my neighborhood in early morning followed by a 2.6 mile walk. Was too darn humid after receiving a bit over 1 inch of needed rain in the night. Legs still slightly sore from that 10.5 mile run bet better.

This morning --- Got up to early to go to the trail for a barefoot run. Got there and it was too dark to see (the days are really getting short) much so stretched till sometime after 6:00am so the sandburs could be spotted on the trail. Been yearning to run barefoot so I drove to the trail without any shoes. Have bruised my right foot some in the palm area multiple times and have been wearing the VFF's until the bruising was gone. While walking doing some stretches I could tell the palm of the bruised foot was still slightly swollen. At that point I wished I had brought the VFF's.

Ran 6 miles BF and had a descent run. Legs started off a bit sore along with the left ankle but after mile 4 the soreness seemed to be gone. :) Sometimes running can prove to be good therapy for tight muscles. Have yet to see how the run will affect the bruised foot. Oh well. For me barefoot running will always be best. It felt great to run barefoot after 2 weeks of running in the VFF's.

Oh I forgot to mention that I changed the half marathon i'm scheduled to run August 31 to a 5 K as my body was telling me that I' m not quite ready for that distance yet. Too bad they didn't have at least a 10k I could have ran.

That's a nice way to put it "a little German" in me. Maybe being married to a German decendant has sometingh to do with it? probably not I have being like this since forever, then again there is this little thing called OCD:p.
"I am silently squealing with delight inside" I love that feeling myself but sadly, I only feel that way when I run long runs. Long runs of 16+ miles make me the happiest even if they are the most tiring.
And this year I haven't being able to build distance for one reazon or another. But I keep telling myself thay it could be worst and that at least I could something and better times still to come.
For runs, I find a good long run, or a good tempo run, or some good 'sprints' all equally exhilarating, but I was referring more to the increased sense of general well-being I've been feeling since switching to more frequent running done earlier in the day. I haven't made much progress since then in terms of distance or pace, but I really love the way it sets up the day. 25-30 miles nicely distributed over a week seems to optimize that feeling for me, for the moment at least.

Thursday Night Run: 7.5 miles in 1:08 and change.
Got some limestone path speed training in where I maintained a sub 9:00 min/ mile.
A little bit of overgrown trail running where I tried to maintain a 10:00 min/mile
The balance on asphalt bike paths. It is so hard not to go to fast on these, trying to secure my ultra pace for Lost Soul in two weeks.

Hoo-Rah...........

3.42 miles this morning and feeling friggen great! Avg'd a 9:40 pace and am finding some good routes for running. My first mile was at a 10:11 pace and each mile after that got consecutively faster. Also stopped at a bike shop near my house at the end of my run and talked to them about getting my back tuned up and new pedals. He showed me three different options and I liked two of them, but am unsure of the other just because of price.

Huh, weird. I can't seem to edit my posts anymore. This is the second one that I went to edit and it just shows up a blank screen. Weird... Anyhow, I meant tuneup for the bike, not the back.
Darn it you beat me to it:mad:

stuff at lunch hr

Thanks Chris! Ya I'm using Firefox too which looks like that is where the majority of the problems are. Funny, most places I never have problems with Firefox and usually have problems with IE (which is why I rarely use IE anymore).

9.7 miles last night. Went out for a short run to try out this whole slow run, keeping the heart rate low. I felt so good I just kept going. 9.7 miles later I made it home. :)
Had to up my pace at the end. Long story.
Basically yesterday was the exam results day (GCSEs). 16 year old kids. But with the schools still off for the summer they tend to have big parties, raid the parents drinks cabinet and head out on the street to wreak havoc.
The first 7 miles were relatively stress free but the last 2.5, the streets were strewn with the drunken bodies of crazed teens. I surprised a few just passing them (quiet feet) and they screamed then spent a good minute shouting and whooping. I had some guys cross the street shouting and growling!?? Lol. Then the last mile I passed about 10 of them. They spotted the VFFs from across the road. And four of them broke from the pack and decided to run after me. I had my earphones in so just pretended not to hear them and upped the pace. All I could hear was the crashing of huge shoes, shouts of "Shoes!!"and the rasping breathing.
After 9 miles I was kinda impressed with my pace, lol. 7 min miles. They didn't get close and gave up after about 1/4 of a mile.
Anyway lesson learned. Don't go running on exam results night.
Anyway here's the stats
http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Run-20130822-2112?r=e

Wow that was an adventure of a run Darkand. Glad you learned your lesson.
Nice pace btw.