Winter Challenge - 2012

Ok people, I'm freaking out here!!! My first barefoot marathon is tomorrow and it's snowing outside right now! It's not sticking and it should stop soon, but WHAT THE WHAT?! This will be the third time that I run in Frankfurt, and I've been a spectator two or three times as well. It's always been 10-15*C and sunny. In other words, *perfect* barefoot weather. After my 17k run a few weeks ago, the forecast of 2-6*C (at least it's supposed to be sunny!) is causing some serious anxiety. I'm scrapping the Wilma Flinstone costume in favor of something far warmer, but I reeeeeeeally wanna do this thing barefoot! What to do, what to do...

Ok, that was my rant.Thanks for listening! I just had to get it out where someone might actually understand. Now it's time to think positive and get 'er done!!! :p

Yep, too cold for a Wilma or Betty costume, might have to go with a dirndl dress. You are going to do great. The worst part will be trying to stay warm before the race starts. Bundle up and get rid of the extra clothing just before the starting line. Once the race starts, you will warm up fast. Have a fun race Chelsea.

Reactions: Barfuß Chelsea
I agree with both Rick and Bare, keep yourself warm at the start especially your feet and core. I suggest a good pair of wool socks at the start line that you can take off quickly as the gun goes. Also make sure you have some backup just in case. You will find that the course may seem rougher when colder, the sensations in your feet will really come out, so it is better to be safe than sorry later. Lastly, have fun and run loose and relaxed that is the key with cold weather running.

Thanks for all the tips and support, guys!! I'll write more later, but I just wanted to let you know that it went really well (3:26:49, my goal was to stay under 3:30) and I finished the whole thing in sub-5*C weather WITHOUT shoes! :) Yesssssss!

Awesome job Chelsea, a sub 3:30 marathon, that is just crazy, especially for barefoot in those temps.

Just finished a 18km run at -6 degrees, absolutely awesome, my feet never cease to amaze me.

Thanks for all the tips and support, guys!! I'll write more later, but I just wanted to let you know that it went really well (3:26:49, my goal was to stay under 3:30) and I finished the whole thing in sub-5*C weather WITHOUT shoes! :) Yesssssss!
Great job Chelsea. I look forward to your report. The things the BRS members are doing lately are amazing and a daily inspiration to me.

Reactions: Bare Lee
And I thought I was tough :) Yesterday was my first real winter run and also a marathon. Weather in Ljubljana was not so cold like Frankfurt, but we also had some snow, rain and wind(chilling) with average temp of 2C. I was the only one who did it barefoot although there were some Slovenian BRS members with huaraches and caveman costumes(great job Rollback!). My time was 3:49 and Im very jealous of your speed Chelsea! To be honest, Im still very satisfied because I improved my time by 22 minutes. The only ache I have is in my wrists because I carried my shoes for the first half of the race. What a wuss :).
P.S. - Chelsea, could we get some pictures - people here in Croatia think Im some kind of Ubermensch and I would like to show them that there are quite a bunch of us!

...Yesterday was my first real winter run and also a marathon... we also had some snow, rain and wind(chilling) with average temp of 2C.

Your first winter run was a Marathon!!!! Oh my that certainly puts you in the non-wuss category. Congrats!!!

And I thought I was tough :) Yesterday was my first real winter run and also a marathon. Weather in Ljubljana was not so cold like Frankfurt, but we also had some snow, rain and wind(chilling) with average temp of 2C. I was the only one who did it barefoot although there were some Slovenian BRS members with huaraches and caveman costumes(great job Rollback!). My time was 3:49 and Im very jealous of your speed Chelsea! To be honest, Im still very satisfied because I improved my time by 22 minutes. The only ache I have is in my wrists because I carried my shoes for the first half of the race. What a wuss :).
P.S. - Chelsea, could we get some pictures - people here in Croatia think Im some kind of Ubermensch and I would like to show them that there are quite a bunch of us!

Once again, daily inspiration. Great job Bosenoge. "Ubermensch", love it, going to have to use that expression.

First, great job Chelsea! Great time especially for this cold weather!!!!

Second...I wonder if we have any runners in the snow blasted parts that just got 1' soon to get another foot due to Sandy.

I was planning on running today but the wind might knock me right off my feet.....well see

How many people never kicked furniture in their house? I'm not in that group either...busted a little toe Tuesday and missed a couple days of <41F. However I did do 2k today...had a little snow on the ground but not on the (wet) road. My car thermometer said 33F. Shoulda went out an hour earlier....Wait a minute - just checked the weather - 500 feet lower and by Lake Erie - 36 feels like 30! Gonna put this in the next colder cat.

Reactions: dutchie53
Went for a run this morning at-2C and then was hoping for a windchill to take me in the next cat. No such luck, we had the little bit of snow yesterday, did not get out in it though, rest day. ;)
Ha, ha. This is where this challenge is so perverse. We actually end up hoping for less optimal running conditions. I was thinking the same thing two days ago . . . hmnn, the wind feels like it's about 5-6 mph, if it could just pick up a bit it'd be less than 23 F windchill and I could log my first category-three run.

Luckily, I had no such luck. The run remained quite pleasant.

Ha, ha. This is where this challenge is so perverse. We actually end up hoping for less optimal running conditions. I was thinking the same thing two days ago . . . hmnn, the wind feels like it's about 5-6 mph, if it could just pick up a bit it'd be less than 23 F windchill and I could log my first category-three run.

Luckily, I had no such luck. The run remained quite pleasant.

I agree with you Lee. It is a little perverse to hope for colder weather (why do we do that?). Personally, that 23 degree category is below the limits I have set for myself so I don't expect too log many entries in that column.

We actually end up hoping for less optimal running conditions.

I totally agree... Until now, I've got only one run that qualified...
Today the weather wasn't great: wind, rain, rain, and more rain. But even with windchill it was still 7°C.
Nevertheless... It was my first run on totally wet streets that I could enjoy, and my feet felt comfortably warm.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7