Winter Challenge - 2012

Great write up Konor, sounds like you had an adventure and a half. Just one note, be careful with the explicits, I had to make one small edit on your post, we are family friendly. ;)

Thank you, Bob. I was aware that there could be rules about that, but I didn't know were to draw the line. Although I am non-native in English, there are sadly three words that have chiseled their way into my German vocabulary. I do not like them very much, as I'd like to rail and apologize in my native tongue, but my brain's speech center always things otherwise when time is of essence.

@dutchie53
Yes, I joined the Google spreadsheet for the Winter Challenge, at least that was my attention when I entered my name and runs. In even seem to appear in the Top 10 list right above your name, at least for now. ;)

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
Been screwing off lately doing other stuff & missed some good running weather. Starting back at it again with a 1.1 km below 32F - about 25F with the windchill and wet road with lots of sand and salt - not the chunky kind of salt. Just starting out slow after about a 2 week layoff. I have been barefoot almost 100% of the time since Aug 22. I've my Invisible Shoes on 7 times this month...mostly to get into a hospital that through me out earlier this year.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
Man...I went on a run in -4C temps and didnt take my vivos off once! =(
My feet were still cold even in the shoes. Most of the sidewalks were snow or ice covered so I'm thinking that this may have impacted my feet temps. Really frustrating though. After 5 miles I thought my feet might warm up to normal temps and I'd take my shoes off for a bit....no such luck.

Last year I ran in Evos's in temps down to -40C. Zetti buy some smartwool running socks and you will find that your feet will stay warm. Mine are a little cool starting out but after 10 minutes or so they are comfortable. This year I am in KIGO's and still with the smartwool socks and I have no issues.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Last year I ran in Evos's in temps down to -40C. Zetti buy some smartwool running socks and you will find that your feet will stay warm. Mine are a little cool starting out but after 10 minutes or so they are comfortable. This year I am in KIGO's and still with the smartwool socks and I have no issues.
I could wear any socks and I'd probably be okay....I just really want to go BF and have been successful in wearing them until me feet warm up then taking them off. For some reasone though my feet never got quite warm enough yesterday for my liking (maybe I'm just a baby...:eek: )

The change to get to a comfort zone in min shoes is a PIB. It took me a good 4 weeks to find any comfort of running in min shoes. As for no socks, my limit seems to be some wheres around -10C to -15C. But that is only in my VFF's. When I put on KIGO's or EVO's it is always with socks to keep blisters of my heels. I have weird shaped heels after breaking both of them and they tend to form blisters in those type of shoes without socks. VFF's no problem without socks but I can only run those low temps in dry conditions, slush, forget about it.

The change to get to a comfort zone in min shoes is a PIB. It took me a good 4 weeks to find any comfort of running in min shoes. As for no socks, my limit seems to be some wheres around -10C to -15C. But that is only in my VFF's. When I put on KIGO's or EVO's it is always with socks to keep blisters of my heels. I have weird shaped heels after breaking both of them and they tend to form blisters in those type of shoes without socks. VFF's no problem without socks but I can only run those low temps in dry conditions, slush, forget about it.

Yeah...I haven't even tried my VFFs. The Evos I have gone blister free and no irritation sock-less so far. My issue is the min. shoe is too comfortable o_O . I wish me feet would start sweating and I would have to take them off! lol:barefoot:

We did it! We have passed total kilometers from 2011. We still have 3 months of winter running.

2011 = 2307 km
2012 = 2359 km

Wow that is crazy. Who would of thunk it. :D

I'll be out of it for a few weeks folks. I got frostnip on Thursday's run, running on a half inch of fresh snow at 21F / -6 C. Just my toe bottoms, so nothing serious I think. They feel like a combination of callous and sunburn right now, with occasional tiny electric shocks. I should be up and running, literally, by next week, but I'll be a shoddie for a while. Running shod, what a terrible way to start the new year.

Reactions: dutchie53 and NickW
Couple of days left in 2012. I'm going to push for 50 runs and 400k. I have this feeling that Bob will catch me when he comes to Arizona (traveling to AZ to log cold miles, seems strange:) ).
If I can get them in and the weather works in my favour for those temps, look out. I have a marathon booked, and a 8 hour Tank Mountain excursion, plus my daily runs, so I might just catch up Rick. ;)

Reactions: OdiarAmor