Will my feet get used to the cold?

I did a few miles yesterday

I did a few miles yesterday in the rain and high 40's and was really surprised how my feet didn't like the combo of cold, rain and 3/4 inch gravel. I can do the gravel dry but cold and wet was really challenging. Kind of took the wind out of my sails and made me question how tough my feet were. :( Will just have to keep at it until I can (or maybe I'll just try chanelling Ken Bob).

Or try channeling Barefoot

Or try channeling Barefoot Rick.

Yesterday I had an

Yesterday I had an interesting cold run. It's not too cold here...high 40s but with 35 mph wind. My feet were numb-ish for the first 1/2 mile like they always are before warming up.

Apparently, numb feets can really stick it to you! I tripped on them for no reason but lack of sensitivity and went flying! Total face-plant! A guy stopped his car and asked me if I was ok (mentally ok, me thinks?)

The fall was pretty awful & embarrassing, but the rest of my run was lovely and nothing got scraped but my knee. Ripped a hole in my new running tights. Booo.

It's crazy how fast your feet can warm up, though. Just about the time I'm turning up my sleeves to free my sweaty hands, my feet are regaining their ground sensitivity and starting to feel warm too! I'm glad I can still enjoy the fall foliage in my bare feet. The looks I get are priceless though :)

Glad you're alright,

Glad you're alright, Mary.

MikeT, Board can probably answer that, since he's in the Society for Barefoot Living, and they have the answers to all these "step in" type of questions.

MikeT wrote:With winter

MikeT said:
With winter coming up quickly. I have been wondering if the salt on the roads can be harmful to the bottoms of your feet?

I ran on salted roads last winter and I didn't have any problems. You'll want to try to avoid the chunks though, they can be a problem.

I too have Raynauds. It can

I too have Raynauds. It can be a royal pain in the putootie!

So, I agree with the idea that we can run barefoot for when we are able and cover up when we have to. Preservation of our limbs is more important. Minimal shoes can be our friends. Barefoot it when the temps won't put our feet in danger.

Peanut

Barefoot TJ wrote:MikeT,

Barefoot TJ said:
MikeT, Board can probably answer that, since he's in the Society for Barefoot Living, and they have the answers to all these "step in" type of questions.

SBLers debate this annualy, but the basics are:

-Some people, but not all, get drying and cracking from the salt.

Many dogs have problems with this.

-The rock-like nature of the crystals combined with the cold soles not neccesarily reacting properly to the warning

can be more problematic than moderate temperature rock encounters.

- OF GREATER IMPORTANCE THOUGH, and something we never think about when not in chemistry lab:

Salt works by reducing the freezing temperature of water. Normaly, when you step in a puddle you are guaranteed to be at 32 degrees F or higher. Salting the road allows puddles to form that are way down into the twenties!

It's one thing to get a dose of 32 degree water on your skin, but 22 degree liquid water can do some quick damage.

Approach any puddle that may be salt enhanced with caution.

See.  I knew the man would

See. I knew the man would know. ;-)

Sounds to me like if I avoid

Sounds to me like if I avoid stepping in/on salt/rocks/puddles. And washing my feet after to avoid drying, I should be fine. :)

Thanks for the info guys!

And some lotion! 

And some lotion! :)

Lotion before the encounter

Lotion before the encounter can help.

Lotion afterwards is just fooling you.

You CANNOT rehydrate skin from it's exterior surface, but you can prevent moisture from leaving it by applying a barrier before it's gone.

Moisturizers do not add moisture to skin despite the appearence of doing so. They can prevent moisture from leaving your skin though.

The only way to moisturize your skin is to drink moisture.

See y'all at PWI!

(never mind that intoxicating beverages dry your skin rather than lubricate it, just think how your entire body will glisten after you become too wasted to bother with showering and your natural oils are given an opportunity to build up)

With winter coming, humidifying the house is the single most important means of preventing dry skin and mucous membranes. Most heated homes end up much too dry for optimum health.

I beg to differ Mr. Board.  I

I beg to differ Mr. Board. I know that adding Aquaphor gel has really helped me replenish moisture to my skin.

It's allowed your internal

It's allowed your internal moisturizing system to work properly without all of it's efforts just evaporating through your skin.

It functioned well as a barrier to moisture loss, effectively moisturizing your skin.

A plastic bag would have worked just as good.

Minimalism lives!

Plastic bags are not

Plastic bags are not convenient and don't feel as good on rough, dry, cracked skin. Pttttth! :tongue:

You told me to stay away from

You told me to stay away from "women's medical issues", but here goes:

"The trick to moisturizing is to apply it to your damp skin, moisturizers hold the moisture in, they do not add moisture." http://menopausetest.org/menopause-and-your-skin

MikeT wrote:Are there any

MikeT said:
Are there any potential cons to putting lotion on your feet before running that you know of?

Only one that I know of.....but if you're already wearing a kilt it really does'nt matter.

My neighbors know I've sired three kids, but still.......

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7