Will my feet get used to the cold?

".....I wish he could post

".....I wish he could post here about this, but he's having problems with the drop-down menus covering the BRS login field, been going on a while now. We've recommended several "fixes" and "patches" for him to try, but he can't make them on his work PC, and at home, I haven't heard if they work for him there. Has anyone else had this problem of the drop-down menus blocking the login to the BRS?"

I just posted an inquiry in under the site feedback link asking if site web master had considered adding a login link to the menu bar at the top of the home page before I saw your comment above, bf tj.

So, there is one? I guess it's blocked on my computer then.

My browser is latest version of firefox.

I like the idea of

I like the idea of "pre-warming" my feet before going out. I'm going to try that. Yesterday I did my short warm-up walk in ZEMs and the first part of my run (maybe .6 miles) in the ZEMs too, because it was still kind of dark out. When I took them off, it felt cold! I don't know if the slight numbness stayed around the whole run.... Will have to pay closer attention next time.

Yeah, when you grow up in Yuma, Arizona, 57 isn't COLD but it is chilly...and it's cold on bare feet! With shoes I loved running when it was about 50.... That was my ideal. But barefoot I'm guessing my ideal is more like mid-60s.

Was fixing to ask if anyone

Was fixing to ask if anyone uses the zems, think I will try them out too when it cools off. I don't like the separate toe config of the vffs, seems like it would increase chance of possible friction resulting in blisters/chaffing.

And also think pre-warming is good idea.

We do that in the fall/winter with the car heater before we surf in cold water.

Which zem do you use cbeth?

Round or split toe, high or low rise?

edit: Just read the minimalist foot wear review and decided to order a pair of split toe low rise zems.

They sound like the best choice for the price.

Hope I like them. Here in Florida, I will use them in cold weather and also on really hot days if I feel like running in the heat to protect my feet from hot running surfaces.

I think core temperature is

I think core temperature is key and a bit of pre-warming couldn't hurt...

On my yearly vacations to North Woods of MN... I take it as a personal challenge to be the first person from our group to get in the lake. Depending upon the time of year the water is anywhere from 34F to 60F. Some years the only way this is even remotely possible for me is if I can manage a good looooooong sauna before taking the plunge... 15-30 min. at 180+ F. goes a long way to getting your core temp up.

Although even then the final plunge can still be a real shocker. :D

S. Pimp.

Dave--I use the low round toe

Dave--I use the low round toe ZEMs--love them!

Good suggestions- I

Good suggestions- I definitely won't run on numb and will make sure I have a warm core. Thinking that carrying hot water in my hand-helds rather than cool might help for the warm core and hands too?

I was planning to get Injinji socks for my VFFs but now that C.Beth mentioned the Zems- I think they're a better choice because then toes can snuggle up together rather than being separated.

I haven't run super long distances in VFFs but haven't experienced any blisters or chafing- also, because Just having anything on my feet bugs me at all now, I cut the backs to ease the pressure on the heel.

Lucky me, I can forego shoes at work and that will help inure me to the cold because like my house, with a basement the floors are always freezing.

C. Beth Run. wrote:Dave--I

C. Beth Run. said:
Dave--I use the low round toe ZEMs--love them!

Glad to hear you like them!

At first didn't think I would want the split toe but after reading the review posted on here i changed my mind; he said your foot has less chance of slipping/moving with the split toe so we'll see. I got the low collar ones also.

swedishpimple wrote: I think

swedishpimple said:
I think core temperature is key and a bit of pre-warming couldn't hurt...

On my yearly vacations to North Woods of MN... I take it as a personal challenge to be the first person from our group to get in the lake. Depending upon the time of year the water is anywhere from 34F to 60F. Some years the only way this is even remotely possible for me is if I can manage a good looooooong sauna before taking the plunge... 15-30 min. at 180+ F. goes a long way to getting your core temp up.

Although even then the final plunge can still be a real shocker. :D

S. Pimp.

If you're a Seinfeld fan, you'll remember the episode with George and "shrinkage".

Thanks for the suggestion,

Thanks for the suggestion, Miqie, but that would be a security breach, and if I know Cameron, he wouldn't like it.

Dave, I received your email suggestion and responded. Thank you for that. I will respond here too. The web hosting software we use limits us to how much space we can use in that bar. We would have to create another bar for just one option. We're not ready to overhaul the layout right now. We would need more goodies to add first. (Pehaps I could add it to the secondary footer menu bar at the bottom--but then we'd get complaints like "Why isn't it located in the usual places?" even though we would leave it in the usual place as well.) Also, if you are having the same problem with the drop-downs blocking your login, how are you logging in? With Rick, one thing I suspect from a screen shot is his screen resolution is way too low, making everything on the screen large. What resolution do you have your screen set to? You have the latest Firefox, but do you have all of the latest Firefox patches? I saw where your email said there was a screen shot, but it was not picked up by the webmail software. Could you please send it to [email protected]? Also, Rick is using IE, so apprarently, this isn't a problem inherent to only Firefox, but a problem with IE as well.

Any others having this problem?

wow this thread took off

wow this thread took off with a lot of info! for what it's worth here's what my years of learning have taught me.

if you are numb do not run. by the time you are numb you have compromised nerve response and can begin to damage the tissue as it is not receiving enough oxygen or blood which is what is causing the numbness.

you can acclimate to the cold but it will take longer than you would like (on a normal basis). acclimating to the extreme temps happens on a greater level then just nerves and blood flow. To truly acclimate to extreme temps like heat and cold you need to strengthen and adapt all the way down to the cellular level in the mitochondria. i know it sounds crazy but there are numerous studies it.

i am a big fan of the cold water technique to learn to acclimate. the navy seals have used this for years as a training tool for cold weather/water acclimation training. fill your bath tub up to ankle depth with cold water and walk in place for 5-20 minutes. As you acclimate over time (days and weeks, not minutes) you can start adding ice to the mixture but try to avoid anything below forty degrees. Freezing is freezing for a reason and your blood is mostly water :) still this is a great way to get used to the feeling.

faith's usage of checking the mail etc in the cold is also great. just getting out for short bursts to let your skin feel the cold ground will help a lot in getting you used to the feeling of cold beneath you.

warming up before you go out is also a great tool but one that you must be careful with. heating the skin by a heater feels good and can be helpful but if you're too warm and the temp difference is too great you can throw the system into shock and create injury risks for yourself. yes you can send a single area of your body into shock (i know you were doubting me ;-)

also circulation is circulation and no amount of warming the core is going to help extremity warmth, not in the long run. it can help for a short period but the distance from the core to the feet is too great for the blood warmth to maintain itself as it travels. in some cases keeping the path warm is helpful, like wearing pants keeping the legs warm will help keep the blood warm as it travels to the feet.

Above all else be smart and as always listen to your body. if you can't feel it then that's bad. if it hurts or burns that is also bad. if it's just cold and uncomfortable...then you're adapting so suck it up :)

Good advice, Jimmy--thanks.

Good advice, Jimmy--thanks.

Mr. Pimple,Vis a vis the

Mr. Pimple,

Vis a vis the sauna prep: Do you know you're ready for the plunge when a little red plastic thing pops out of your gluteus maximus?

Also, apropos to not much: Do you know that there's an icefishing lure named after you? Joseph

J.Tree - I haven't tried a

J.Tree - I haven't tried a pop up meat thermometer... maybe next time. :tongue: Our sauna can get pretty hot... easily above 220 F. At those temps... I could probably cook a roast in my lap. Although I wouldn't want to wait out the heat until it was finished and besides I'm not sure anyone would really be to keen on eating it if I did. ;)

Yes... I am familiar with the Swedish Pimple line of fishing lures (spoons). Try as I might I haven't ever caught anything with them though... but they do have a way cool name so I'll keep trying.

S. Pimp.

"....if you are having the

"....if you are having the same problem with the drop-downs blocking your login, how are you logging in?"

Hey TJ, when you say "drop-downs" I assumed you were referring to a login option from the menu bar at top of the main page, but in any event, I finally realized you have a login link on every thread so i just go to the forum and click on a thread to login.

And I don't know why I had so much trouble changing the thumbnail pic, but I see it has changed now so no worries.

I know this is a fairly new site and takes alot of time and effort by those creating it.

Keep up the good work!!

See there, Dave.  Where

See there, Dave. Where there's a will, there's a way. Hee. Thanks for the compliment and the understanding.

Jimmy, excellent advice as always. We appreciate your medical knowledge.

Jimmy Hart wrote:  if it's

Jimmy Hart said:
if it's just cold and uncomfortable...then you're adapting so suck it up :)

The hard truth. Thanks for that Jimmy.

There seems to be a wide

There seems to be a wide variation for the low temp different runners can run barefoot, I know I struggle with anything below 40F and I've been barefooting for over 5 years and have tried lots at this. You just have to experiment yourself to see where your limits are, I know I can only go into into the hi 30's for short runs or lo 40's for longer runs when its dry out and less when wet out but you can always do the last bit of each run barefoot even when you need footwear for the first part of each run when its cold out... so do try at least the last 1/4 - 1/2 mile barefoot even when its cold out. I agree with overdressing your legs to help keep the feets warm...that can help a little but not a lot.

Dave, Rick says that doesn't

Dave, Rick says that doesn't work for him either. When he goes into a login link from a thread or post, it still brings him to the main login screen where the drop-downs block his entry.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test