When to give up on a spouse

If the token shoefoot may offer another perspective...The more it's an issue the more stubborn the hairier sex gets. So, yeah, just drop it for a while. That said...Is it the Adams that he has from Altra (yes I am too lazy to re-read the OP)? I'm running in the Instinct 1.5 and the Lone Peak currently. He may bite on either of those, and here's why: 1. They look closer to what he's used to in a shoe. 2.They do have some stack between his foot and the ground (but are f-l-a-t). 3.If he is worried about his PF/heel issue, he can fit an orthotic in there to start out if needed. I have a flexible over the counter footbed that I have to use from time to time with my ball of foot issues and it will fit in mine (Sole Thinsport, just as FYI) without lifting my heel completely out of the shoe. 4. (arguable point alert) you get a lot of the benefit of barefoot (i.e. toe splay, neutral posture, urge to mid/forefoot strike) without the full on flying of the freak flag.

My $.02 (and it's worth about that much:))

And I've NEVER read Born to Run... am I the only one?

Probably not:). It's the book that everybody that's a bfr 'has to read.' There are a lot out there that treat it just like College lit majors treat Catcher in the Rye..."Oh, yeah, i read it, but waaay back in the day, so I can't remember all the details" when they've never even seen the cover of the book.

Full disclosure: I've never read nor claimed to have read Catcher in the Rye.

If the token shoefoot may offer another perspective...The more it's an issue the more stubborn the hairier sex gets. So, yeah, just drop it for a while. That said...Is it the Adams that he has from Altra (yes I am too lazy to re-read the OP)? I'm running in the Instinct 1.5 and the Lone Peak currently. He may bite on either of those, and here's why: 1. They look closer to what he's used to in a shoe. 2.They do have some stack between his foot and the ground (but are f-l-a-t). 3.If he is worried about his PF/heel issue, he can fit an orthotic in there to start out if needed. I have a flexible over the counter footbed that I have to use from time to time with my ball of foot issues and it will fit in mine (Sole Thinsport, just as FYI) without lifting my heel completely out of the shoe. 4. (arguable point alert) you get a lot of the benefit of barefoot (i.e. toe splay, neutral posture, urge to mid/forefoot strike) without the full on flying of the freak flag.

My $.02 (and it's worth about that much:))
I don't know what kind of Alta he has, but it looks pretty darn normal, has an excellent wide toe box, and is zero drop. I think he could fit an orthotic in there if he wanted to, but the funny thing is, he doesn't really use them. He thinks the original footbed in shoes offers support. He wore them again last night at work, and I didn't hear any complaining, but I'm not going to ask or push the issue. Perhaps he won't return them, which is what he was considering, and will give them more chances. I just don't feel like he'll see any kind of strengthening or improvement in his feet/ankles when he only wears them a couple times a week.

By the way, my 2 cents doesn't seem to be worth even that much in this case. =)

Reactions: Lomad
Probably not:). It's the book that everybody that's a bfr 'has to read.' There are a lot out there that treat it just like College lit majors treat Catcher in the Rye..."Oh, yeah, i read it, but waaay back in the day, so I can't remember all the details" when they've never even seen the cover of the book.

Full disclosure: I've never read nor claimed to have read Catcher in the Rye.

One of the people in our chapter has never read it either (if I tell you who, I will have to kill you). I instructed them on how to play along as if they had read it. It's just easier that way. Lol.

I've never read BtR, although I bought it. McDougall kind of lost me with the whole 'lost tribe' schtick. So I gave the book to my brother. And in any case, I found Jason's primer pretty much covered everything I needed to know about the specifics of barefoot running. He's my one-stop bfr shopping. I don't know of anyone else who's as open-minded about all the pluses and minuses of any specific issue, plus he's in constant contact with us masses, interacting and picking up ideas and feedback. I also have Ken Bob's book, a beautiful book, but haven't found any reason to read it yet. Not that I wouldn't want to, but I read for a living so unless there's a compelling reason I won't find time for it. Mostly I read runner's stuff on websites, but now I don't do that much anymore either. Seems like I know about as much as I need to know at this stage in my bfr development. The only thing to do now is get out there and run and keep experimenting.

Oooooo! Park Ranger! Is it too late to change my career? After this shift (currently at work) I think I might be interested. Can I be a barefoot park ranger though?
I don't think it's ever too late to change your career. In the end you're dead so you mis' well do what you enjoy while you're alive. If you fail you can always become a successful banker and swindle people out of their hard-earned savings and assets through inflation and ponzi schemes.

Besides park-ranging, I hear with the economy picking up (probably because the Obama Administration is manipulating the pre-election money supply), there should be more openings in lion-taming to boot, and you could probably do that bootless as part of your gimmick. It would be sad to be party to the rampant doping going on among lion athletes though. Maybe you could try to tame wild, fully alert lions in a nature park, thus combining parkranging with liontaming to become a lion taming park ranger, or a park lion taming ranger or a ranging park lion tamer. The job would never be routine with so many options, plus the thrill of routinely running from them barefooted.

I don't think it's ever too late to change your career. .

Threadjacking the threadjack...Never was a truer statement than this (all the brilliant BareLee satire was, as usual, bang on as well). I did it, and would tell anyone to do the same. I'm pushing 40 in my first year of a whole new career (and fulfilling my life calling). Park ranger would be a sweet gig. So would anything that trips your giggity-switch.

Life's too short to be bored/unhappy/overstressed by your job.

After five years of teaching I was bored out of my mind and ready to move on.
So I started pursuing other interests in my spare time, especially in the area of writing.
But it backfired.
The more I learned the more interested I got in my teaching again.
Now, after 13 years of teaching, I'm still learning and still enjoying going to work every day.
Of course, summers off and lots of holidays don't hurt either.:D

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7