What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

I've got some catching up to do here. Over Thanksgiving break, my friend brought me some Boulder beers. http://www.boulderbeer.com/beers
I tried the Mojo IPA - Excellent, the Sweet Betty Blonde - I normally don't like blondes, this wasn't too bad, the Planet Porter - above average, and my favorite of the bunch, Hazed & Infused, a dry hopped beer. Need to get more of this.

Taking my son back to college in Northern Utah, I found a place that had Moab beers on tap. http://www.themoabbrewery.com/ Just happened to have a special on drafts, so I had a sampling. Can't name a favorite, all good.

On the way home, I stopped in Salt Lake City at the Red Rock Brewery http://www.redrockbrewing.com/ and got a growler of IPA Junior to bring home, which I am enjoying right now.

Reactions: Abide
OK, I tried the Stone IPA. Very average if you ask me. Good, but not worth the $10.49 I paid for the six-pack. That's just 50 cents cheaper than a Summit 12-pack.
Stone's IPA is, in my humble opinion, one of Stone's worst beers that I've tried. If you want a good Stone beer you have to have the Arrogant Bastard. Once every few weeks I allow myself to get one (they only come in the bigger bottles here, 20something oz size I think, and at 5-6 bucks a pop that's pretty spendy).

Reactions: Bare Lee
Stone's IPA is, in my humble opinion, one of Stone's worst beers that I've tried. If you want a good Stone beer you have to have the Arrogant Bastard. Once every few weeks I allow myself to get one (they only come in the bigger bottles here, 20something oz size I think, and at 5-6 bucks a pop that's pretty spendy).
Their Ruination IPA is pretty good. Their plain IPA was just disappointing and not worth buying twice. For a better price 4C's IPA, Hippie IPA, and Red Eye PA pack some decent flavors. I'd rate them better than Stone IPA, but not quite as good as Ruination. Considering cost per acquisition, they win every time.

Got a few different Christmas Ales in the fridge, tonight was Southern Tier 2XMAS.

IMG_4450_775.jpg

With the poor lighting in my basement and using a flash, you dont see the dark mahogany color of this darker beer unfortunately. I need to improve my studio setup for photographing beers!

I really like this one, some good Christmas spices and a good strong but very smooth 8% that you don't notice. If you like Christmas Ales I'd say to give it a shot.

In a grand celebration on achieving masters division (through no actual merit or ability) , first thing I did today was grab Santa's Butt again. That old fat b@st@rd never lets me down. ;)

033a.jpg
Forget that goodie-two-shoes Elf on a shelf when you have Brutus the pissed off reindeer.

Oft people have had that crazy uncle that tells us not to eat yellow snow. I'm here to tell you to drink it. Rogue Yellow Snow is a 22oz of seasonal cheer that will have you wishing your useless flea bag could create such joy and earn gold plated kibble. If these came in 6 packs, I'd be typing with my forehead.

011a.jpg
I'll never look at yellow snow the same way again.

Picked up a growler to share of Great Lakes Brewing Company - Cleveland Browns Brown Ale. Now, I need to barefoot in the kitchen cooking up some chili for guests.

001a.jpg
This is just the warm beer selection.

Tonight: Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. This stuff is potent!!! A little less chocolate and a little more alcohol taste than I hoped for but still pretty good.

Lit the first candle last night and enjoyed SN Celebration, a perfect combination.

Took my wife out for dinner down by the Mississippi, and had a bottle of Concannon Petite Syrah. It wasn't as good as the similarly priced McManis, but passable. More notable was my rare common sense in having a glass of water with each glass of wine, especially since we went right out after my run. Woke up today after five hours of sleep in perfect shape. Thanks water, you are alcohol's guardian angel!

Took my wife out for dinner down by the Mississippi, and had a bottle of Concannon Petite Syrah. It wasn't as good as the similarly priced McManis, but passable. More notable was my rare common sense in having a glass of water with each glass of wine, especially since we went right out after my run. Woke up today after five hours of sleep in perfect shape. Thanks water, you are alcohol's guardian angel!

That's my rule when I am up at the ski resort (10,000 ft). 1 water per beer. Didn't follow my own rule and the SN pale ales I had made me a little sluggish today. At 10 degrees and 40 mph wind, I decided not to go out anyway. Ran when I got home.

Okay so over the last week I'd been working on a sampler pack I picked up, 'Adirondack Trail Mix' by Saranac. I had it once before, but its been long enough I couldn't remember much about them, so time for a second taste. :)

The sampler contains 2x Adirondack Lagers, 2x Pale Ales, an IPA and a Black Forest. I kind of wish it were reversed, 2x IPA and Black Forest. It kind of has sentimental value in the name for me, as the Adirondacks are one of my favorite destinations, and Saranac Lake I've been by dozens of times. The brewery itself is in Utica, which I have been too just a few times (the town I mean, not the brewery) and have a couple of friends not to far from there.

IMG_4459_800.jpg

Featured here of course is the Black Forest, a Schwarzbier thats pretty darn good IMO, perhaps on the light side taste-wise for that dark of a beer, but thats good by me. The pale ale I wasnt very thrilled about. The IPA and Lager were average, but had just a hint of uniqueness that perhaps some would say makes them deviate from the style or 'unbalanced' but I kind of like it. If I could find the Black Forest available by itself, I'd probably get that.

Okay so over the last week I'd been working on a sampler pack I picked up, 'Adirondack Trail Mix' by Saranac. I had it once before, but its been long enough I couldn't remember much about them, so time for a second taste. :)

The sampler contains 2x Adirondack Lagers, 2x Pale Ales, an IPA and a Black Forest. I kind of wish it were reversed, 2x IPA and Black Forest. It kind of has sentimental value in the name for me, as the Adirondacks are one of my favorite destinations, and Saranac Lake I've been by dozens of times. The brewery itself is in Utica, which I have been too just a few times (the town I mean, not the brewery) and have a couple of friends not to far from there.

The stores up here haven't had Saranac for a while. They have a Good black and tan in a bottle. Saranac also has a 9 mile race that ends at the brewery: http://www.boilermaker.com/

It looked like fun, but until recently, I had a car that smelled like burning and didn't want to drive that far.

Their Ruination IPA is pretty good. Their plain IPA was just disappointing and not worth buying twice. For a better price 4C's IPA, Hippie IPA, and Red Eye PA pack some decent flavors. I'd rate them better than Stone IPA, but not quite as good as Ruination. Considering cost per acquisition, they win every time.
I like the Ruination too. I first tried it this past summer at a restaurant in Melborne, Fl. I also like Upland's IPA: Dragonfly. I drink it out of a bottle, but it is much better on tap at there Microbrew in Bloomington, In. If you go there, get it with one of their Buffalo meat burgers. Dang, it makes my mouth water just thinking of it.

The stores up here haven't had Saranac for a while. They have a Good black and tan in a bottle. Saranac also has a 9 mile race that ends at the brewery: http://www.boilermaker.com/

It looked like fun, but until recently, I had a car that smelled like burning and didn't want to drive that far.
Interesting, I might have to try that race some time! Though I can't get that date off for 2013, I've already tried and got denied, along with all my other summer on-call weeks. :(

They dont have a strong showing around here either but one can usually find the Trail Mix, and one of my friends from near Utica who now resides in Marrysville says he often sees one of them by themselves but I forget which. Last winter I think it was I had their Big Moose Ale, but thats the only other one I've had outside the Trail Mix.

About the Stone IPA - yeah with all the rave they get around here I thought I had a bad batch when I sampled there regular IPA but I guess its some of there other offerings that are better. I haven't found their Ruination yet, but I did have their Anniversary IPA on tap not too long ago. I thought it had a bit too much going on, it was really good at first taste but just too intense and strange flavors left me barely finishing it. It also could have been that I was mixing it with a bunch of other beer types that night in the sampler flights, I think if I had it again I'd like it more, it was definitely unique, and worth trying.