What beer are you drinking tonight? For the new forum...

This is me drinking an awesome beer! I accidentally ordered a 1 liter bottle. Or WAS it an accident? Muahahahaaaa! The next photo is my poor husband attempting to drink my beer so that he can be studly like me. But...he hates beer. Lol.
IMG_20120621_174104.jpg
IMG_20120621_181919.jpg

watched a disappointing documentary about the state of beer in Germany. They kept going on and on about how standards and expectations here have slipped over the past couple decades. And how much great beer is being produced in the USA today. There was a segment on the World Cup of Beer, where not too many German breweries came home with medals ... the thing is, it's generally true for much of the country - large breweries with mega-marketing budgets have taken over much of the local markets everywhere here - except in the region I live in!

The show completely ignored Upper Franconia, and Franconia in general, and concentrated on big-name beers like Becks, Warsteiner, Krombacher, Löwenbräu, Bitburger, etc... every one of them basically c-r-a-p. Another crappy brand that is often held up as a "good" German beer is Spaten. Well it's also crappy, sorry. And pretty much any German beer yuo've ever heard of or see at the grocery store, is something that people here know is not good, and it gets exported ...

So, just in case you ever hear something like "Germany just doesn't produce a good beer anymore", don't believe it! Exotic, experimental beers (hyacinth lemon weissbier, or something like that) just have no audience here, but there are plenty of damn fine breweries in Germany today, bewing damn fine Bier. Prost! :D

I'm gonna drink a couple tonight, while watching Germany take on Greece in the Euro Cup :)

This is me drinking an awesome beer! I accidentally ordered a 1 liter bottle. Or WAS it an accident? Muahahahaaaa! The next photo is my poor husband attempting to drink my beer so that he can be studly like me. But...he hates beer. Lol.

Pelican!!! I love Tsunami Stout. And Saison. And Doryman Dark. And the McPelican Scottish Ale.

You get the picture...

Reactions: jldeleon
I've been bouncing around the idea of doing a group run on the Oregon Coast too, and gee, I wonder where it will have to stop and start...The Pelican Pub and Brewery, of course. Not only do they have amazing beer, but check out their menu. They even have BEER-floats. BLECH! http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican/menu/dinner

I like Centenial, but prefer Bells Two Hearted. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is very good as well and the price is right.

I'm not sure what kind of beer I had last night, but it was not my favorite. It was Franziskaner Weissbier Dunkel, premium Hefe-Weissbier. I like trying imports and beers that I have never had before. This was definitely not my favorite or anywhere even close. I also had two Oregon beers last night while out and about for date night that were great. One was a black ale and the other was a brown beer. I wish I could remember the names of them because I would love to drink those as regular drinkers.

Hey, guess what? The sudden extra 5 lbs. on the scale has informed me that beer has a lot of calories! Lol. Well there were a few mixed drinks thrown in there...

I like Centenial, but prefer Bells Two Hearted. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is very good as well and the price is right.
Thanks Mr. Longboard. I finished off the six-pack yesterday. Didn't taste as superb the second day, but still pretty damn good. I've had the Bell's Two-Hearted, and like that a lot (almost all my beer-connoisseur friends agree that Bells is a great brewery). I'll have to try the Torpedo next time I'm in the mood for something hoppy.

View attachment 576
View attachment 577

Oh now I see where your avatar came from! Makes sense now haha :D

I'll have to track down some of these beers y'all mention. Never was into beer before a year or so ago. I've enjoyed trying various ones but nothing that I would call great yet. Most I didnt really care for. Wine is more my thing, but I do enjoy trying new beers lately.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon