Shades of Gray

So I've been having this internal battle with myself for the last month or so, which I have not really talked to anyone but my wife about. Finally, this last weekend my wife told me that I live in this make believe world of black and white and there were no shades of gray. She said sometimes you can believe in something even though you have to do what is right for you which may not follow exactly what you believe. I don't know why or how this happened, maybe it's part of my PTSD from being in combat, but she was totally right, I don't see shades of gray in the world and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Most of you that know me, know that I've battled with one injury or another over the last year of my barefoot transition. The last couple of months I've been battling internally with an idea that I may need to actually have some sort of footwear when I run. Lomad was going through these same feelings after his injury which was at the same time as I was. I then read a couple of blog posts (one from Jason) that made me start to think that maybe not everything is black and white in the world of barefoot and maybe shoes aren't as bad as I think.

During the last year I've had a hole in my left foot that I just thought was related to a form issue and I was doing something wrong. Well, while I was off for another injury for 3 weeks that hole closed up and finally healed all the way. My first or second run after that I noticed something weird, the 1st metatarsal head on my left foot was wearing through the skin, from the inside out. Hurt like hell. After feeling it and then comparing this to my other foot I noticed that the met head was much more pointy than the other side. I've started experimenting by running in my huaraches or my Neo's or my Adams (I feel like such a traitor wearing shoes). Funny thing happened, not only did the hole in my foot heal up, but the constant ankle ache that I've had this last year finally eased up, the heel pain from my supposed Achilles Tendonitis eased up, and I started enjoying myself AFTER my runs more because I wasn't hurting so much.

I've been wrestling with myself about all this footwear use because I do identify myself as a barefoot runner. I've been feeling guilty about running in shoes. I feel like I am letting down my friends here from the OR chapter that I run with occasionally. I am still going to run barefoot, but any runs over 3-4 miles I have to wear some sort of footwear otherwise that met head will wear through the skin. Most of my runs now are over 5 miles so this means I won't be barefoot but maybe once a week or so. I will be running mostly shod in a min shoe and I am trying to come to terms with that. I love running barefoot, I love the stupid looks some of the old bittys on my route give me, I love being able to run through puddles and splash and not worry about shoes getting soaked. Man this is tough for me to accept.

Reactions: Lomad
Man this is tough for me to accept.

Dude. Lighten up (on yourself). Srsly. This is supposed to be first and foremost fun. There ain't no rules and no code of honor. ;)

No worries Nick. We will still let you come to the lodge meetings. I think I'm in the same boat. 3 miles all is groovy. 6 miles equals blisters and always in the same spot. So I go naked the first 3 then I slip on my Luna sandals for the rest.

Agree with what Willie said as well. Do what you need to do in order to run, period! This is a hobby and it is supposed to be fun and healthy, keep it that way.

Someone said this somewhere (can't remember) but it stuck with me. It was "I am happy I run barefoot, and not a barefoot runner" Meaning I like to run barefoot, but have other alternatives other than just running barefoot.

You all are totally right. Like I said, I seem to have this problem with shades of gray. My counselor for PTSD told me this as well a few years back. I see everything as right or wrong. And I mean everything. I still feel guilty over the new shoes that I just ordered the other day. I am having a hard time finding shoes that don't cause a toe or two to go numb and painful. I really enjoy running barefoot and am bummed that I can't do it as much as I want, but I do really enjoy just being able to run too.

A positive though is that my form has changed tremendously for the better thanks to being barefoot for the last year. I plan on continuing to work on improving it despite being shod. Gosh I hate saying that word in reference to myself. Almost seems derogatory now. :)

Nick, You're doing good working through it and giving yourself a mental / spiritual elbow in the ribs to adjust your approach to the problems of BF running, spousely relations and your path through the world. As Sara wrote, It is all good. The running helps heal us even better when it's not tearing us up. Run well!

BTW, I've taken to carrying my VFFs a lot these days as I go out for runs where Idon't know for sure what I'll be finding under foot. Even if I don't end up putting them on I find it liberating to just head out and know I won't end up stuck on some miserable terrain. They make good balanced hand weights.

Oh Nick -you know we would never shun you. We LOVE you! :) Besides, we ALL wear footwear when we run, sooner or later. Your form will suck if your in pain. My number one goal in ANY physical activity I do is AVOID INJURY/PAIN. BTW, I have the black/white world syndrome too. PTSD apparently, but not from combat. ;)

Nick, calm it down man! I have to run in shoes at times. Most people do. I promise you that nobody will think anything less of you. And if they do, then just beat the living dog sheets out of them.

And look at the bright side, now you can do lots of shoe reviews!!!

Reactions: NickW
Loser

:D

Like I said, I seem to have this problem with shades of gray. My counselor for PTSD told me this as well a few years back. I see everything as right or wrong. And I mean everything.

Just curious - do you feel you learned (or were taught) to think that way or is it just your nature? Whatever it is, it's how you function at the moment and the real mistake would be adding a useless layer of self-critical guilty conscience on top of it. Just sayin'

This is why I (affectionately) refer to Nick as Barefoot Spaz. :)

Ok you all crack me up! Lol!

Willie, I think my experiences while overseas really changed me. We had some really clear cut right and wrong times come up that really changed me to my core (there's a reason I don't drink hard alcohol anymore, still have a lot of guilt about some things that were out of my control that comes bubbling out). I think it was learned and maybe to a degree taught. As an Infantryman everything has to be done a certain way and if done any other way it is wrong (even if it's more efficient and better another way).

Chaser, great, so you say by wearing shoes that I can become like Saypay? Hopefully I don't get that full of myself! J/k btw MGBG, lol!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7